Religious Term "Apologetics"

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm helping a deeply religious friend with a letter she wrote to her church's leaders, critiquing what she hopes is its final version. (I hope it isn't.) I've had to look up a few terms, mostly for whether they're capitalized, but now I'm struggling with the word apologetics, a noun meaning reasoned arguments or writings that justify something, usually a religious doctrine. Okay, got it.

But the writer is using it with singular verbs, apologetics is, and while it reads wrong to me, I don't really know. Nor have I been able to find a source that makes it clear. Is it a collective noun, a group of writings or arguments treated as a singular thing?

Looking for the word in use online, I see both singular and plural uses.

My critique is nearly done except for this, and I'd like to finish it up today. Anybody got an inside track on this word?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
"Mathematics is tough", too. Think of it as "the science of apologetics". It's one thing.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no version of apologetics without the 's' that I'm aware of. I've always thought of it as singular.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Other singular nouns of similar type: politics, ethics, economics, mathematics. It's a Greek thing.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those wily Greeks! Thanks, everyone. I'll send the critique as it stands.

Maryn, who knows so very little

ForeverYoursCaffiene

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I've always liked this definition on a humor level:

Apologetics: People who apologize for their faith.

Boethius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vinemaple.net
Apologetics as a subject is singular. "Apologetics is a fun subject in divinity school." But when referring to a number of apologetic treatises, it is plural. "Aquinas and and C.S. Lewis both wrote apologetic essays. Their apologetics are all well written and fascinating reading." Context is everything.