AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Currently Inked: What Pen and Ink are you currently using?

Currently Inked: What Pen and Ink are you currently using?

This is a thread about the pen and ink we're currently using (paper too, if you'd like!).

• It doesn't have to be a fountain pen; quill, dip, ballpoint, roller ball, gel and variants are all welcome.
    • You can link to an image (keep it to about 400 x 400 or the equivalent in pixels) if you'd like
    • See the FAQ: Image Size Guidelines.

This is my current pen for drafts and notes; it's a gift from a dear friend, who calls it a frankenpen because she built it out of two similar pens.

It's an inexpensive fountain pen from the Dutch department store known as Hema. That's with an a; I misspelled it on the image.

I love it. It fits in a pocket or notebook, it's smooth, and utterly reliable.

practical experience, FTW
    Whatever I can get me fingers on at any given moment, the cheaper the better. I do a lot of writing in longhand on yellow legal pads. I sense a different dynamic in writing this way, vs. writing directly on a computer (and never in geologic time would I try to write on a smartphone). That's just me, I recognize, but it's the way it works.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Learning to read more, post less cmhbob's Avatar
    My pen is one that I won several years ago from a local place whose name escapes me, but is now closed anyway...Oh, The Mighty Pen company. The top half is made from a .308 shell case, and the bottom from a .30-06 shell case. IT's a fairly heavy twist pen, but I love it. It's got a basic Cross medium black refill in it.

The pencil is a Kuru Toga 0.5 lead from Walmart, based on your suggestion. Very happy with it, although I'm still learning to not rotate it.

practical experience, FTW Raindrop's Avatar
    My precious is a cheap Parker Vector fountain pen, which looks a lot like yours, Lisa. I mostly use it for writing, although I sometimes sketch with it as well.

I've also been experimenting with a dip pen and indian ink lately -- for drawing. I haven't tried writing with it yet (I don't quite have the right nib). I like the rhythm the dip pen imposes on you: ink ink ink, dip, ink ink ink, dip. It forces me to slow down and pay more attention to what I'm doing. It's a bit noisy, too, just enough to remind you of its presence. (Yes, I know, I listen to my pen. o.O )

I also have a collection of fineliners and even a brush pen, all for drawing.

My daily workhorse is a set of Staedtler Triplus Fineliners (0.3mm). I carry around a set of 10 colors, though it's not the 10 colors they sell in the 10-color set - I've done quite a bit of customizing with their other colors. (I tend to change colors when I change days or subjects.)

I love writing with a fountain pen and I have a lovely Aurora but the sad truth is I haven't used it regularly in years. I don't really have the patience to take care of it - if it needs a cleaning when I'm busy with other things, it gets left on the desk and I don't get around to it again for a long time.

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone RedRajah's Avatar
    PaperMate Sharpwriter #2

(Yeah, I use pencils)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRajah View Post
    PaperMate Sharpwriter #2

(Yeah, I use pencils)
    I do too. A lot. Partly because when I'm writing something that will require lots of revision, like translations, they're easy to erase and write again.

Partly because I can draw over them when I'm drawing UI or screens or similar things for work.

Right now I'm using Pilot EasyTouch fine point pens. Funnily enough although I've obsessed over notebooks for years, I've never really been too into writing utensils. But, a huge part of that is because I am left handed, and finding pens I can actually use has always been difficult. I bought a box of these Pilots because they were recommended as one of the best lefty pens, and so far I've been ok with them. They ghost like crazy but don't smear when I'm writing. If I could find a pen that didn't ghost and didn't smear I'd be a happy woman.
    Give it your best shot!
    Blog Goodreads Twitter

I have a cool demo pen I picked up on my last trip to Fahrney's (it's a clear plastic and shows the guts of the pen). I forget the brand, and I'm too lazy to go upstairs to check. For ink, my choice this week is Iroshizuku's Chiku-rin (Bamboo Forest green), because why use black or blue ink, when there are so many choices out there? I *love* the Iroshizuku inks. The color range is fantastic, they flow beautifully, even with difficult nibs, and they don't bleed as much as some of the cheaper inks I've tried. I have about 8 different ones and use a different ink in each fountain pen I own.
    Cath
    www.cathsmithphotography.com

"It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people."
    from 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

"Many and various, strange and multitudinous are the friends that befriend me in this world, yet I never found one false or that did not surpass me in some virtue."
    Wilfred Owen in a letter home.

If it's fountain pen and ink, I prefer my inherited one (very old, very good condition; I think it's a Parker), and love really black ink (think Chinese black ink), or a deep green, or a deep brown, or a deep purple. Will avoid blue.

Currently, a Pental Graphgear 500 mechanical pencil is the go-to instrument. Erasable, and also good for sketching. And if I drop it or the kitties get to it, non-breakable and kitty-proof.
    -----------------------
    Soft toys. That is all.
    -----------------------
    Blog: Dreams of a Broken Phoenix
    Patreon: Tiny Carriers of Light
    FB "blog": Depression in Hong Kong
    -----------------------
    Dare you to click:

Quote Originally Posted by Cath View Post
    I have a cool demo pen I picked up on my last trip to Fahrney's (it's a clear plastic and shows the guts of the pen). I forget the brand, and I'm too lazy to go upstairs to check. For ink, my choice this week is Iroshizuku's Chiku-rin (Bamboo Forest green), because why use black or blue ink, when there are so many choices out there? I *love* the Iroshizuku inks. The color range is fantastic, they flow beautifully, even with difficult nibs, and they don't bleed as much as some of the cheaper inks I've tried. I have about 8 different ones and use a different ink in each fountain pen I own.
    I love them too; for the colors, and the quality of the inks. Currently trying ink samples for this year's cards, and yes, there are some Pilot Iroshizuku inks in contention.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonHeart View Post
    Right now I'm using Pilot EasyTouch fine point pens. Funnily enough although I've obsessed over notebooks for years, I've never really been too into writing utensils. But, a huge part of that is because I am left handed, and finding pens I can actually use has always been difficult. I bought a box of these Pilots because they were recommended as one of the best lefty pens, and so far I've been ok with them. They ghost like crazy but don't smear when I'm writing. If I could find a pen that didn't ghost and didn't smear I'd be a happy woman.
    Left handed tools via JetPens.com

Thanks for the link! I've heard of some of those pens too, that they're good for lefties. I am seriously considering picking up that sampler pack. My favorite pen at work actually just ran out of ink yesterday so it would be a good excuse lol. On the other hand I think I can just narrow it down to a couple I really want to try. The Zebra Sarasa in particular looks like it would be something I'd like, and it looks common enough to find in a local store.
    Give it your best shot!
    Blog Goodreads Twitter

practical experience, FTW
    Alas, my fountain pen has died an ignoble death. I know, I know, you buy cheap, you get cheap, but still I mourn. Out of curiosity, is there anything in life where if you buy cheap, you don't get cheap?

practical experience, FTW Raindrop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emermouse View Post
    Alas, my fountain pen has died an ignoble death. I know, I know, you buy cheap, you get cheap, but still I mourn. Out of curiosity, is there anything in life where if you buy cheap, you don't get cheap?
    I don't know, but my cheap Parker Vector is still going fine after five years. Clean, sturdy, and light. (No, I don't have any shares in Parker).

I used to have basic Watermann pens when I was a kid. They were good as well. The metal barrel had a particular smell that stuck to your fingers. I still associate that smell to the act of writing. I remember them leaking quite a bit; my fingers were always blue. Some died a horrible death... but yeah, blame the kid, not the pen.
    Last edited by Raindrop; 11-13-2017 at 12:47 PM.

It's a toque, BF Jaymz Connelly's Avatar
    I should not have looked at this thread. Seriously. It got me all nostalgic for a fountain pen. I haven't used a fountain pen since I was a teenager. Even if I only use it to write Christmas cards, I think it'll be nice to have a fountain pen again. I wound up ordering a Jinhao X450 with a medium nib... and a bottle of purple ink because... purple! (and the ink cost more than the pen did )

pencil

Sister Anne Mary told me in 1966 that my hands were the wrong shape for pens.

It's a toque, BF Jaymz Connelly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    pencil

Sister Anne Mary told me in 1966 that my hands were the wrong shape for pens.

And you believed her?

There's a pen for every hand. Sometimes you just have to look a bit further to find the right one.

So, I did go ahead and order the lefty pen sampler from Jetpens. I figure it's not that expensive, and anything I don't like/use I can bring to work, we always need pens.

But then while I was out doing some early Christmas shopping over the weekend I came across some pens, the type that were in the sampler, but colors not just plain black...so I bought a set. Papermate Inkjoy gel pens, 0.7mm tips. I've only ever used ballpoints for the aforementioned reasons, but then I tested these out. Guys, I think I might have a problem. I like them. I mean, the tips are a little large for someone who naturally writes small, but no smearing and I've been color coding everything for my own amusement. The 0.5mm tip would probably be perfect, but these are still imminently usable. For reference, my handwriting is naturally about half the height of standard ruled lines. I can force myself to use the whole line but it slows me down considerably.
    Give it your best shot!
    Blog Goodreads Twitter

Pilot Precise V5 and V7. Plain old ball points. And for inking art my Pilot Pocket Brush Pen.

Patreon
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.