How long for grandparents to get custody of a child?

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

My novel situation is such: My MC is a minor (16) who moved from the US abroad with her mother several years prior. The move was after divorce and with the father's permission. The place they moved to encourages arranged marriages, and the MC's mother and their community is trying to push her into one. The MC asks her grandparents, who are in the US, to look into getting custody of her and pulling her out of the situation. My question is, primarily, how long of a process would that likely be? Would it make a difference if the MC said "they're talking about marrying me off within a year"?

In the book, I have the MC taking initiative to run away and get back to the US on her own, but it's a very risky situation, and I don't want people to be going, "If she'd only told her grandparents what was going on, they'd have her out in a few weeks." For example.

I would appreciate anyone pointing me to the expert who would be able to answer this, if no one here actually knows.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Have her go to "visit" grandma, and assuming she's a US citizen, she can apply for emancipation while she's there, citing the arranged marriage as grounds.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really don't know how it works when the child resides in another country but in the U.S., a child can request to live with the other parent once they get to a certain age and then it's up to the family court judge. It probably varies by state but I think it's usually around fourteen. So my thought is it might be easier for her to quickly get placed with her other parent rather than the grandparents or emancipation. Maybe she could consult the U.S. embassy, for starters?

Cyia's answer sounds viable, too.

Last edited:

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
On the U.S. bureaucratic side, 'I am 16 years old, and here is evidence that I will be forced into an arranged marriage if I return,' should have traction, especially if it's to an older man.

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. Mentioning the embassy was helpful, Fruitbat. I should incorporate that into my novel.

I'm really trying to paint my MC into a corner, good and challenging. The place she and her mother live is an experimental community on a tiny island. I haven't figured out if/how it would be under the jurisdiction of another country, and which one, but the island is so small that it, like some other Carribbean islands, wouldn't have an official embassy location or representative. So no direct help there. She would have to get transportation to the embassy in Bermuda, probably. And her government is really stingy about who can travel and why.

Also, she wants to go back to the US for a visit, but her mom won't take her, or give her permission to go, due to strained relations with the grandparents.

ALSO, she has lost contact with her father, because he moved around in recent years and didn't try to stay in touch, so she can't apply to him for help. (I'm wondering now, though, if she might have contact info for his parents/family, and reach out to them.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
"Experimental community" could translate as "cult." If she can get a message to Granny, then she could be "rescued" by a deprogramming group.