Nightmare verb?

Ms.Pencila

Registered
Reaction score
I have this character trying really hard not to let his mind run wildly through a number of painful scenarios that he has no control over-- basically, the opposite of fantasize over these possibilities. I'm inclinced to use nightmare as a verb here, but when I checked around for usage, I just found this thread (https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/nightmare-verb.1721500/where people complained about how grating that was to them. Would the use of nightmare not faze you, or should I keep trying and twisting for a better way of saying this? Also, a noun that means running over possiblities and sounds more ominous than speculation would be great to find.

Context:
A hero’s battle is fought first within himself, Kelten repeated silently: First within himself, first within himself, first within himself… His father’s maxim had always anchored him before. But now the familiar words did little to curb the stampede of terrified speculation assailing his mind.
.......(he tries some different things to distract himself)...

Weary of evading the mental struggle, Kelten faced it head on enunciating the two potentialities as succinctly as possible: either the coup had succeeded and Kíradel was free, or the Varmenens would destroy the conspirators and a good number of people who hadn’t been involved. Nightmaring about the destroying part was what he must guard against.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, "Nightmaring" does not work for me. I understand what you're trying to convey, but not the way you're doing it. In this usage, the simpler word "nightmares" is fully functional. Nightmares about the destroying part was what he must guard against. Or maybe swap sentence parts around: He must guard against nightmares...

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
If you want a verb there, "fretting/panicking over" or "dwelling on" could both work.

ETA - Maeze's "agonizing over" is a great one!

Last edited:

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Also brooding, stewing, obsessing.

Poetical Gore

Registered
Reaction score
Two ING words right together like that is bad. How about this?

"O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams."
- Just made this up but go ahead and use it. :p

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
Pondering, ruminating, speculating, thinking... I would not use nightmaring.