Ways to nail down a character's deepest motive

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
My main character's deepest motivation is still unclear. I've been struggling with this for a long time and it's driving me nuts. I feel like her inner motive is there already in the story. All of her actions and decisions go back to one simple, deep need, and I'm just not grasping what it is.

My question is -- what are your favorite techniques to dig down and test your understanding of your main character's inner motive?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I just keep writing. Sooner or later, it will rise to surface, usually in a moment of intense pressure.

Another method might be to just make a list of possible motives, as they come to you. The most obvious motive will be at the top of the list, of course. But keep adding to the list. The last, most inconsequential-seeming item on the list, the one you think of after you've run out of other options, may actually be the one you're looking for. Because that's the one you had to dig deep to find.

DanaeMcB

Curious turtle
Registered
Reaction score
I used psychological evaluation on my MC, in a way. She's a teenager, and her father abandoned her and her mother when she was a child. So that has left a big scar that my MC is not totally aware of. She thinks her main goal is to help others, but what she's really wanting is validation that she is a person worthy of love, worthy of people sticking by her. This was not immediately obvious to me, either, until I started thinking about how her father's actions would affect her long-term. So maybe think about the big, negative events in your MC's past, and what lasting scars those might leave, even if she's not aware of them.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I always struggle with trying to name my characters' "deepest motivations."

But then again, I don't really know my own deepest motivations most of the time. I mean, generally, I'm just trying to get through each day and not screw up too many times.

I know my characters well enough that when a situation comes up, I know how they're going to react. Their values and desires come through in the story, but putting words to their most basic motivations just isn't going to happen for me.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Beth, yes, I've been writing all over the place trying to find that motive, but I've got a deadline coming and I need to nail this! I like the brainstorming idea, and have tried it in the past. I need to do it again and see if I just didn't dig down far enough. It's so frustrating because I *know* the answer is simple and I just don't see it. Or if I see it, I'm not translating it onto the page the way I should.

So maybe think about the big, negative events in your MC's past, and what lasting scars those might leave, even if she's not aware of them.

I like this, Danae, thanks. A lot of the story has to do with the MC uncovering family secrets. Maybe I haven't really given enough thought to how those past events made her need whatever it is she needs in the story's present. Not just what she thinks she needs, what she really needs.

I always struggle with trying to name my characters' "deepest motivations."

But then again, I don't really know my own deepest motivations most of the time. I mean, generally, I'm just trying to get through each day and not screw up too many times.

Yep. Life, eh?

WormHeart

Dual class author / nightguard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fromthefrozennorth.com
I don't think you need to spell out a characters deepest motivation to make them well-rounded.

I'm a person and I couldn't pin down my deepest motivation for ... life(?) if you held a gun to my head.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A lot of the story has to do with the MC uncovering family secrets.

You should read some of the really good Victorian mysteries, things by Wilkie Collins, Mary Elizabeth Braddon, Joseph Sheridan LeFanu. They commonly deal with a main character learning about and uncovering family secrets. Narrative POV becomes very important in such matters, as well.

caw

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
My question is -- what are your favorite techniques to dig down and test your understanding of your main character's inner motive?
I put it there :tongue.
What was the deep motivation of Tin Man to help Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz"? I have no idea. But he was a nice person, so he did nice things. The author created him as a nice person in the first place. Being the author, you can change that at any time. The villain whose motivation was to be evil throughout the story could just like that change in the end and perform a good deed instead, because the author had a bright idea all of a sudden. And all of a sudden the character has a different deeper motivation because the plot demands it.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind also that motives can change. And it's possible that even the character doesn't understand her motives, and a spot of self-revelation can end up being part of the story.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
How deep in your MC's head is your writing? 3rd Person Limited or 1st person would be the easiest to get her thoughts out in the writing.

Sometimes a need or motivation comes out of some event in the past - other times it's less clear, and is sort of like a vacuum sucking you (your MC) into situations. It's sort of a nature vs nurture thing.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
One technique might be to keep taking things away from your character and seeing what brings out the strongest reaction.

But I agree with the others that say it should just come out through your writing, it doesn't necessarily need to be in black and white.

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone!

Just asking the question here loosened something up in my brain, and I think I've finally got it! I don't intend to state the motivations in the book, it's a matter of polishing the story so the strongest motives come to the forefront and others are allowed to simmer underneath.

I really appreciate the help and suggestions here.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
My main character's deepest motivation is still unclear. I've been struggling with this for a long time and it's driving me nuts. I feel like her inner motive is there already in the story. All of her actions and decisions go back to one simple, deep need, and I'm just not grasping what it is.

Have you ever kept up with the Thor movies? You have Loki who is the outcast and you have Thor who is the 'hero'. I saw a youtube video that was a tribute to Loki and after watching it, I drew up a lesson called Writing Despair that I taught at my writers' group and at a convention. Anyway, the whole video shows Loki and what he thinks he wants which is taking over the world, but what he NEEDS is being equal to his brother and getting his brother's acceptance. So your character thinks she wants sex, but what she needs is forgive herself for something. What she thinks she wants is to be the president of the company, what she needs is to be accepted by her woman hating father. Does that make sense? You said it's in the book as to what she thinks she wants. Write it down then write down her history and see what pops up.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I put it there :tongue.
What was the deep motivation of Tin Man to help Dorothy in the "Wizard of Oz"? I have no idea.

The Wizard of Oz is an example of a story where the motivations are very clear. The Tin Man wants to help Dorothy reach the Wizard because he wants a heart. It might not be deep in the sense of psychologically complex but it was definitely important to him.

For finding out a character's deepest motivation, think about their values. Do they want to find the love of their life and settle down? Do they want to be the boss of their own company? What would make them satisfied?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
As part of my prep work, I have each character write me a letter about who they are, what they like and don't like, and their fears and joys. Try having your character write you a letter - really get into the characters head.

One of my female characters in my WIP works in social services, teaching children mostly. In her letter to me she confessed that she can't have children - which is the motivation for her career choice.