Conflicting Info on Queries -- What Agents Want

Status
Not open for further replies.

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Okay well then this shows me you don't seem to have a fundamental understanding of what a query letter is which is so totally okay because we all start out not knowing things until we do :) . Because at its core a query letter contains essentially a book blurb. They are not different writing techniques like a novel vs short story, or contract vs novel. They are basically the exact same kind of writing. So now I'm going to ask you the same question again but hopefully this time you answer specifically. Your analogous joke followed by an explanation about the philosophy behind writing two different things is not what I asked. I asked: what do you think the difference between the two are? And now I'll expand on that. What do you think you need to write in a query? And what do you think you need to write in a back cover blurb? And what do you think makes them different from each other? Let's root out the essence of your confusion, which might possibly help you understand better the essence of what a query letter should be :) .

Also as an MG writer I still don't get what your point is about finding the voice. Do you not know the voice in which your book is written? Is it that? If so, let me ask you this: is it serious, silly, sarcastic, poetic? The story as you've described it could be any of those things. It's not about what it's about, but HOW you've told it. What other books would you say it is most like?

I feel like some of your answers are coming across as large sweeping "I can't do it! I don't know what I'm doing!" instead of literally answering us. So take a breath. Ask yourself the questions we've given you to ask yourself. See if you can come up with an answer. No one is expecting you to be perfect at this, we all had to learn and grow. We are just trying to help you by asking certain questions that could lead to some insight into your own work. Take our questions as writing exercises. And take your time with them. No need to rush back in frustration that you don't know the answer. If you don't, then let's keep working through it, but try first. :)
Fundamentally a query is a sales pitch that convinces an agent to love the ms enough to sale it.

I've never studied what a blurb is, but it looks like the sales pitch to a reader to buy the book.

Might be where I'm stuck, but while studying to write a novel I learned "know your audience." Do agents want to be drawn in like a 9 year old? If so, then I'm willing to learn what a blurb is.

The whole concept of writing a novel and then getting it published terrified me, so I took it in pieces. First learn how to write a novel, and then do that. Then learn how to write a query and do that. Then learn what happens after the agent says Yes, (and decide if I'm willing to do that.) And somewhere between saying Yes and the ms turns into a book, find out what else I have to learn, (including how to handle editing, mock ups and all that jazz), and quite possibly learn how to write a blurb. I'm not even sure I need to learn to write a blurb, considering I reviewed a manuscript in a contest once, and what I wrote became the blurb.

I do know my voice, but what I define as my voice isn't the same thing as the type of book it is. What's it like? The closest I can come to is a bit like Buffy the Vampire Slayer minus vamps, demons and the Hellmouth, but written for grade school kids. Very serious with unintentional humor (on the MC's part) and glibness and other forms of intentional humor from other characters. For instance, for the first few pages the reader isn't sure if the one who saved the MC was saving him or a box of snack cakes. Meanwhile the MC doesn't even think in those terms, so it never dawned on him he might be saved to get a krimpet for the effort.

It's not so much that I can't write a blurb. It's more that in order to write one, first I have to learn what it is, what it isn't, and the best way to pull it off. The same thing I had to learn to write a novel, but a shorter writing. I have no idea if I can write a blurb. At this point in time, I still don't know if I can write a query that sells. I sure know I can write queries that don't sell though.

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Speaking as someone whose publisher put her query on the back of her book as its blurb - verbatim - they're not that different. Both are designed to make prospective readers want more.
Oh, there is always That Guy! So you're the That Guy, huh? And your query was your blurb? Show off! lol

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
mpack, that is also what I have heard from different agents. I also think it is necessary to distinguish between blurb (i.e. jacket copy) and query. While there are similarities between the two, the blurb oftentimes is shorter and more succinct, whereas the query dives into more detail on what the character wants, what the conflict is, and other details that won't necessarily be included in a blurb. See agent Janet Reid (who runs QueryShark)'s post here.

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/2015/12/why-writing-your-query-like-dust-jacket.html

Again, the distinction lies in the target audience. Some people do end up having parts of their query letter used in the blurb, and it is useful to study what makes a blurb hook its readers so you can borrow some of the same elements. But I would approach them differently.

Your mileage will vary.
I just want mileage. :Shrug:

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Except the point is . . . they simply are not vastly different things the way the OP has claimed they are. They might be different, but they require the same skill set. And that was my point. Claiming that there is as big a difference from a back cover copy and a query letter that it requires a whole new set of skills was my issue. Also since the OP is coming across a little panicked and freaking out about the whole thing I was attempting to make things seem less daunting by explaining these things have far more in common with each other than not. That there is value in doing one because it benefits the other, and that the skill set involved in concisely, clearly and convincingly sharing what your story is about with someone has a cross platform utility. I get that you guys are more interested in discussing what makes them different from each other, but I was just trying to help calm the OP and show that none of this is nearly as daunting as they think it is.
If they were exactly the same thing, two words wouldn't be needed. As for what I'm claiming, I'm claiming reality. Queries I've studied. (Still can't write a good one, but I've been studying them a long time.) Blurbs I haven't. Show me a blurb minus context, (no back cover, no hints on who wrote it or why), and I'm not sure I could pick it out from a forward, a PR, or a catalog listing.

So, it feels a bit like you asked me to watch your pet for a week, and I'm assuming it's a dog, but I come over and it's a wolf. My fault for not asking which pet, but I've never watched a wolf before and I'm going to have to assume taking care of that is different than taking care of a dog. Meanwhile, you're busy telling me it's the same thing and don't worry about it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, it's closer to seeing the dog's shadow and assuming it's a wolf because your idea is distorted from reality. Unless you're self-publishing, you don't need to worry about the blurb, anyway.

Try this: plug & play.

When (main character) (takes specific action), (outcome happens).
Now, they must (goal). (opposition) is in the way, and if (MC) doesn't (do the thing), (stakes will happen).

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If they were exactly the same thing, two words wouldn't be needed.

Blurbs and queries are very close in their structure and what they achieve (selling the book). But they are used for two different things: selling the book to an agent, and selling the book to readers. So yep, two words are needed. But not necessarily two different texts, as if a text works for one job it might well work for another.

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Nah, it's closer to seeing the dog's shadow and assuming it's a wolf because your idea is distorted from reality. Unless you're self-publishing, you don't need to worry about the blurb, anyway.

Try this: plug & play.

When (main character) (takes specific action), (outcome happens).
Now, they must (goal). (opposition) is in the way, and if (MC) doesn't (do the thing), (stakes will happen).
When Spaulding wakes up, he finds himself in a trash bag. He wants to go home, but a law has made his kind -- stuffed animals -- illegal, so he can't. If he doesn't go home, he will be destroyed by warm-blooded dogs and rats or sent to the dump by skateboard punks to be shredded by junkyard dogs.

(Only problem is he doesn't go home, but finds home is where his friends are. And, although this stands-alone, it's also the first in a heptalogy where they do take it to the true antagonists -- Congress. Something like Lois Lowery's quadrilogy, where the reader doesn't run into the true antagonists until the last book.)

Got any ideas from this?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
When Spaulding wakes up, he finds himself in a trash bag. He wants to go home, but a law has made his kind -- stuffed animals -- illegal, so he can't. If he doesn't go home, he will be destroyed by warm-blooded dogs and rats or sent to the dump by skateboard punks to be shredded by junkyard dogs.

This is the meat of your query. You don't have to keep it in this form, but it gives the main character, his problem, and his antagonist. I'd add a short sentence about how he addresses the problem, but NOT the resolution, as this isn't a full-novel synopsis.

(Only problem is he doesn't go home, but finds home is where his friends are.

This is not information required for a query.

And, although this stands-alone, it's also the first in a heptalogy where they do take it to the true antagonists -- Congress. Something like Lois Lowery's quadrilogy, where the reader doesn't run into the true antagonists until the last book.)

Got any ideas from this?

This is what you call "stands alone, with series potential" in your query. Or "stands alone, but I have ideas for following novels / adventures" (whichever word you prefer)

From this bit of information, it might not be out of line to use "Toy Story" meets "the Velveteen Rabbit" or some similar comparison of the content.

You've got your basics down. All you have to decide on now is what form that information takes.

atwhatcost

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
This is the meat of your query. You don't have to keep it in this form, but it gives the main character, his problem, and his antagonist. I'd add a short sentence about how he addresses the problem, but NOT the resolution, as this isn't a full-novel synopsis.

This is not information required for a query.

This is what you call "stands alone, with series potential" in your query. Or "stands alone, but I have ideas for following novels / adventures" (whichever word you prefer)

From this bit of information, it might not be out of line to use "Toy Story" meets "the Velveteen Rabbit" or some similar comparison of the content.

You've got your basics down. All you have to decide on now is what form that information takes.
:partyguy:

Finally! I've been stuck on the bones! Now that I got dem bones, I can meat 'em.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Good. Now go flesh your query out and post it in Query Letter Hell so the squirrels can help you refine it. :Thumbs:

A Guy

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone keeps mentioning Query Letter Hell.

Where the hell is Query Letter Hell???

Status
Not open for further replies.