Nontoxic November - 500 words per day editing/writing - all genres

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I have moved forward on the assumption that I will rewrite the beginning and give the ex-POV character's stuff to a different character. It already feels easier. :) 2,480 today.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Yay, Liz!

I proofread/tweaked 10 pages yesterday. Then a freelance job came in with a tight deadline. So I will be juggling both for awhile.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yay for the job! Boo for the deadline.

I added another 2,421 today, and broke 25K NaNo-wise. I seem to be wandering down a side road. I think it'll be useful later on, but right now I'm not sure how much time to give it. (This is the life of a pantser. :))

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Liz. I've wandered down side roads before, so I know how it feels.

I edited 50 pages of the freelance job and edited 14 pages of Fireborn. And now I get to do it again today. ;)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, Saoirse!

I used NaNoWriMo.org's official word count calculator for the first time, so my totals are a little different than the ones Scrivener shows, but since that's the one that'll tell me when I win I figure it's a good idea to start using it. So according to it: +2259 today, for a total of 31,047 NaNo words. And I have hit another Thing!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
That word count calculator is the main thing I miss from Nano. It gives you such a nice graph. (I know, I could probably knock one up in Excel in about ten minutes, but bleh, effort.)

I'm still plugging away. 300 this morning. My MC has almost extricated himself from the frying pan, but boy, that's some fire he's about to go into.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Liz, congrats on breaking 30k!!

OSG - I miss Nano this year. :( Awesome on the words!

I'm considering doing my own "Nano" in December after I submit Fireborn.

I've finally finished the commenting-within-the-manuscript part of the freelance job. That was such a slog, b/c well...how can I put this? It seems he wrote the book yesterday not knowing anything about how to write a book (plot, characterization, formatting) and it was painful to read. I will need to somehow tactfully tell him that he really needs to learn the basics before trying to publish. :( I am so happy to have it done, though. Next is my report.

I'm going to do some work on Fireborn now. :)

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Enjoy sizzling your MC, osg. :)

Yikes, Saoirse - sounds like tact is almost as an important a job skill as language.

I think the NaNo word counter counts hyphenated words as singles. Scrivener says I did 2,471; the NaNo counter says 2,449. Either way I did OK, I suppose.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Did a nice chunk today: 2,835, mostly because I didn't want to stop in the middle of this scene. Puts me over 36K for NaNo, and over 52K for the full MS. I'm...kind of not a third of the way through the story yet, but I'm hoping the rest of the draft will be a wee bit more concise.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nice wordage, Liz!

I finished writing my report for the freelance job. Seven pages. My wrist was complaining so I took a computer/typing break. Tomorrow it's due, and I still need to go over it again.

I'll also be flipping back to Fireborn.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I hope your freelance report made it out OK, Saoirse. Sounds like that was a hairy one. And I hope your wrist is feeling better.

Yay for Fireborn! :hooray: :hooray:

I was >this< close to 40K, so I pushed and did 3,799 today to get to 40,130 NaNo words. Puts me a hair over 56K for the whole thing.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Wow, that's amazing, Liz! Nice work.

Yep, it went out fine, and I got a 5-star review from the guy. That floored me.

Now...he's hired me again (a short story) and another of my clients has contacted me about a job we discussed awhile back. And I have Fireborn due in less than two weeks. Happy for the work, but yikes.

I did about 15 pages of Fireborn, too.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Awesome on the freelance review, Saoirse. Who'd've thought he'd be a repeat customer? :) And go, Fireborn!

:hooray: for words, osg! I like the fun bits. :)

For some inexplicable reason I wrote 5,275 today. I don't think I've written that much in a single day before. I guess I'm getting into the story now.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OSG - Glad it's moving forward! :D

Liz - Yep, it certainly surprised me! Awesome on the words. Go, you!

I edited 34 pages today. :faints: And wrote the first draft of my report to that guy. It's due on the 20th, so I'll need to do another pass, but it's close to being done.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yay on the edits, Saoirse!

I had this vague fantasy that I'd hit 50K today, but since Saturday is errands day it's no surprise I didn't. I did, however, manage 2,977, which leaves me with only 1,618 to win NaNo.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OMG awesome, Liz!!

I sent the report this morning (one day early). Now I'm going to start on the second freelance job. It's due next Sunday, but with the holiday...I need all the extra time I can get.

I'm about 10 pages away from being done with Fireborn.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yay, Saoirse, for editing jobs, and for Fireborn!

So...I wrote 2,110 and hit 50K today! Go, me! Of course, I had to do it, because I ordered a winner's t-shirt this morning. :D

My November goal involves another 10K, and with 11 days left I think maybe I'll hope for twice that. I'm going to keep writing linearly for a bit, and then do some spot scenes between here and the end. Shooting for a finished rough draft by the end of January.

The story's evolved quite a bit since I started it. Most of what I've written for NaNo is going to have to be redone. But it's helped me work the plot out, so it's not wasted.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CONGRATS on making 50k, Liz! That's how I write most of my first drafts — figuring out what the story is.

21 pages done on freelance job #2. Going to do a bit more in a few.

BLMN

Registered
Reaction score
This link is a testament to work ethic. Thanks for your good example. As for me, I edit and edit and edit. And when I get tired of the editing I keep on going because I can see the end in sight.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
BLMN - Good luck with it. :D

OSG - Thanks! :D

I'm up to page 36 on freelance job #2. I'm hoping to squeeze in some work on Fireborn today as well.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Go, everybody! :e2cheer:

I wrote another 2,484 today and made some random plot notes. Writing this one is starting to feel a little like writing my second one, and I'm pretty pleased with how that one came out...eventually...so I'm trying not to dwell on the fact that I'm almost 70K in and I'm still figuring out what's supposed to happen. :)