Nontoxic November - 500 words per day editing/writing - all genres

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Because November is delicious, and good for you.

(Don't judge my adjectives, people.)

How was October? Productive? Awful? Relaxing? What worked for you? What didn't? Tell all!

What are your plans for November? What can we do to support you?

Go, Team November!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I don't actually remember much of what I did in October. Professionally - and in every way that doesn't involve illness or relationships or stuff that actually matters - it was hands down the single worst month of my life. Which means there's nowhere to go but up. :)

I'm doing NaNo, and I'm hoping to a) hit 50K before Thanksgiving (the 23rd, for you non-US people), and b) add 60K by the 30th (which will put me at about 75K for the draft, which is usually a wee bit more than half-finished for me). I've also got a bunch of short things whispering in my ear, but realistically they're distractions (although I do have a completed draft of one).

So my goals for November are:

1) 60,000 words on the WIP
2) Onward and upward

ETA: 2,329 words today. Not a bad first day of NaNo!

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Hey, you beat me to it!

Nontoxic as an adjective rocks.

October was kinda rough. I have been rewriting Fireborn and aimed to be done by the 31st, which did not happen due to my mom's knee replacement surgery and having to take care of her and her elderly dog. It's okay. I should still finish pretty soon —within a week or two, which will leave 2 weeks to proofread/tie up lose ends and submit by Dec. 1st. It will be close, esp around Thanksgiving, but we'll see.

I would also like to start working on Survivor, my Nano novel. Except that I'm not officially participating.

And I have at least one editing job hitting soon and a copyedit to finish, so this will get interesting. Or crazy.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Here's to being busy, Saoirse. :e2writer:

Wrote 2,390 today, which puts me on target for NaNo two days in a row. It'll need some editing, though...I've got a 4,500-word chapter, which is long even for me!

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hi gang,

checking in for November.

October was a good month for me. I got a big chunk of words done, thanks mainly to a much-needed holiday, and I put in motion plans to take some dedicated writing time off in January next year. I would really like to use that time in January to finish this draft, so this month and next month are about making sure that's possible by getting lots of words on the page.

Here's to a positive and productive November :)

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Hey everyone! November was rocky for me, so let's make this October a good one.

*pauses*
*looks at post*
*looks at post again*

heck guys I'm screwing this up already, I'm going back tae bed.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
+2,351. Still kind of talking my way into the next part of the plot, but at least it's fun.

May work on my short tonight. May just be a vegetable and watch a movie. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Started late today but still managed 2,441. A fight scene. It should probably bother me how much I enjoy writing about people beating each other up.

I also did some revisions to that short story last night. It needs a few more passes I think, mostly for worldbuilding - it's more of a vignette really than a story, so it needs some tangible texture for interest.

Go, team! :e2cheer:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Nice work, Liz!

I didn't write as much as rearrange some stuff in the climax. I hope it reads better now.

I also started transferring my outline for my Nano novel to notecards. Then my hand decided to complain, so I stopped. Le sigh.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Sorry about the hand, Saoirse. Very frustrating. Hope it improves soon. :Hug2:

Another 2,428 today. It's all background stuff so far, and I know from experience I'll end up chucking a lot of it, but it's helping me work out some of the scaffolding. Tomorrow I'll get to Real Events.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yay for great wordage and a Thing, Liz!

I didn't write yesterday because I was, would you believe it, stuck on how to work the climax. But that break helped because I figured it out, and wrote 1,814 words today! Now, I just need to tie up the loose ends. I am now 9k below my minimum word count (because I cut some stuff out that was no longer working), so I'll need to fill some stuff in and...something something something....

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Congratulations on getting the climax down, Saoirse! And you can add bits in revisions. It will be perfect. :)

Like pulling teeth tonight, but I did 2,379, and every word is awful, but they exist.

BLMN

Registered
Reaction score
Edited ten chapters today (it's not the first edit) and I locked down four experts-in-their-field types who will read the ms for bungled details. 15 chapters more to edit then I'm setting it aside until the experts have finished telling me that: a) Horses don't do that. and b) you used the wrong caliber. and c) I love your book.
At least, I'm hoping that they all pick c.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, Liz, and nice wordage! I know the feeling of having written awful words. They will get better. ;)

Welcome BLMN! I hope the answer is c too!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
:hi: BLMN! Excellent work on the edits, and congratulations on finding your experts!

+2,348 today. Less awful. I need to be a bit less critical of my first drafts - for me, an awful lot of drafting is casting around and figuring out how I want the story to go. That there are days when I'm writing into the weeds should not be a surprise; it's part of the process.

My second book is a year old today. Structurally, I think it's the tightest thing I've ever written. Not what I want to be reminding myself of when I'm in rambly NaNo pantsing mode. :)

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Good work, everyone!

I got around 600 yesterday, mostly being mean to my MC. He's really taking a pounding. Now I just have to work out how he limps through the rest of the book...

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
+2,499 today. This is probably the most meandering mess I've ever written, and I have a POV character I may have to replace, but I'm getting into the meat of it now.

At least I've been through this enough at this point to recognize that this is just how it goes. :)