Not open for further replies.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Day 14: Child, no.

Gemma laughed. “Ah, let the girl believe in witches. What’s the harm? And if there’s someone making pig farms smell nice, well, I don’t see any downside.”
“Aye, I wish she’d come and do the same for my shop! I’d much prefer to smell this soup than the piss I have to use.”
“But then you might be tempted to drink it, Daddy!”

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
Antigone folded her arms over her chest. "Nice to see you," she said. "Now get your hairy ass up so we can get out of here."

Ajax gave his sister the finger.

(And just for the curious, re: the 'fulcrum' quote, three people were underwater trying to figure out how to move a millstone. Lethe wasn't able to convince Ajax, so she turned to her brother, Boreas, to explain it to him. xD)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
He comes out from behind me, but stops short of going through the door. "Didn't you say last year that things were harder to sense through walls? Maybe there's something really scary on the other side."

"You're a ghost!" As I have reminded him so many times over the years when he gets scared.

"But the cuddly kind. What if it's like the Ring girl or the Paranormal Activity demon."

"You and I are never watching another scary movie again."

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
He looked back once, from the shadow of a metallic behemoth he thought at first was a machine, and his heart pinched at the thought of leaving Lethe behind. Only when he turned away and continued on through the building did he realize that the oddly-shaped hulk wasn't a machine. It was the eye of a dragon.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Day 16: After a long journey through a cursed tower, they've finally found the sleeping princess and it's time for the noble young hero to wake her...

Gemma couldn’t help but smile at his enthusiasm. “You truly are born to be a tailor.” Then, almost against her will, she added, “If you wake the princess, I’m sure she can tell you what it is.”
“Oh, yes, right.” Tristram sat beside the princess, reached over, and tapped her on the shoulder. “Princess? Good morning. Princess? You’ve overslept a bit.”
The princess didn’t stir. He gave her a firm shake.
“Princess!”
“You’re supposed to kiss her, you fopdoodle.”
“What? Without her permission?”

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow with no light, though, I'm able to see the shape come at me, darker even still than my surroundings. He stalks over to me, extends an oversized hand, and grabs my heart out of my chest. Again. And again. Each time's more excruciating than the last, ripping beyond the physical and into my spirit.

Until the time it stops hurting at all.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
(Kay's the aforementioned ex who helped to destroy Ren in book 1)

She runs her hands under the sweater and pulls it up over my head. "Does it hurt?" she asks, tracing a black vein from my heart up to my collarbone.

"Nothing hurts."

She works her hands down to my pants. "Your ghost is going to kill you," she murmurs as she kisses that same vein on my collarbone.

My chest pangs, and I push back from her, putting my hand over the black handprint. "I care."

Her face twists into something hurt, and she shoves her hands in her pockets. "Of course you do. But I thought you were moving forward with us anywa--"

"No." She doesn't understand. Of course she doesn't. "I don't...care about anything. Not since..." I wave my hand over my veiny chest.

I think about the look on Ren's face, the way I've always imagined it if I were to ask Kaylie out again. It's not that different from the one on her face now, but the difference is that with his, that flicker of pain twists in my chest again. It's the smallest sliver of feeling, but I grasp hold of it. "I care about hurting Ren."

She sighs. "Figures."

Velvet27

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even think to pop in here for Nano talk! Silly me :) I'm writing a New Adult novel (or attempting to) for Nano, my first year doing it.

Here's my favorite "line" from the day:

Then he spoke again. “Answer me this, Ivelisse. Did you want to kiss me?”
Ivy weighed her answer. Should she tell him the truth? Would it only make things worse? But she couldn’t not be honest with him. “Yeah, I did.”

“Hey Ivy?”

“Yeah?”

Despite the clear hurt, James smiled, just a little. “That’s something then, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.” She smiled back. Just a little. “That’s something.”

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The handprint stays the same, no new gray veins traveling across Blake's skin like he's a human Etch-a-Sketch.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Little bit of humor/culture
His accent chopped at the sing-song nature of her language, yet hearing familiar words again was a small comfort. She answered with: “Niaja”.
“Surname?” he pressed, his voice growing testy.
This time, Niaja answered with a blank look. “Sir, that is my name.”

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I pinch the bridge of my nose, just under my glasses, because I'll be damned if I'm going to let him see me cry when I can't see him cry.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Little more than a line, but it made me smile:

I guess I need a hug because he walked around the counter and wrapped me up in his large frame. Which kind of felt nice to be honest. But also kind of like a bear hugging his favorite salmon that he just fished from the river.

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
"It should work on any ancient weapons you find."
"Should?" Boreas said.
"Well, yes," Atlas said. "It's only a prototype."
"In other words, you haven't tested it?" Antigone said.
Atlas's shaggy brows met over his nose. "Of course we tested it."
"And?"
"And what?"
"And what happened?"
Atlas rolled up his map. "Nothing," he said. "Nothing happened."

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I can't compromise today. I have two. My ghost had a pretty epic verbal smackdown today. It was absolutely meant to be the favorite line(s) of the day or maybe even of the book:

Something inside me breaks, and I shove him away from me. He hits the bookcase behind him. "You let this happen! You summoned that demon because you didn't know what you were doing, because you never wanted to know what you were doing. You violated Shannon's body with it, and violated your own body with it, and now it has Joy! You didn't listen to me when I said it was going after our family, and now it has them all. It has Shannon's family, Blake. My family. Your family. And you let it take her. It filled your veins with darkness and now it could do the same thing to her, and no one's there to protect her. She is sunshine, just like Shannon was, and you're going to let that demon extinguish that light."

But then the resulting apology ended like this :Shrug: :

"If an assassin is hiding in my toilet and kills me when I take a dump, I deserve nothing less."

Atalanta

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
"If an assassin is hiding in my toilet and kills me when I take a dump, I deserve nothing less."

:roll:

My own favorite line of the day. I don't even know how to explain the context. lol.

The cannonball hit Boreas with the force of a three-hundred pound ham.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Referring to the fact I started writing this particular passage this past Sunday, Nov. 19:

He'd never remembered anything about anybody else in that much detail before. It was just a few hours of one particular summer day however many hundreds of years ago but it felt like it covered at least three days.

(I had another year where I started a flashback on day 17 or so and it continued until the end of the novel. I need to rein in this year's, like, now, so I'm wrapping up this flashback tonight before it completely takes over.)

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
limp an old panel truck into a service station. going about two miles an hour. it looks like a rabid dog trying to get somewhere. guy who runs the station walks out to see what the problem is. conversation goes like this-

"shit, don't know what's wrong but the brakes.. they just went out."

the man nods. "brakes are one of the very few things in life, that when they leave you, you miss them so much. and immediately."

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
His hands cup my face, the way they did that first night he proved he was around. I'm working out the "your face" joke when suddenly his lips press against mine.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It'd be so easy to agree when she says, "You'll lose yourself in there. Don't follow him."

I give her what I hope is a brave smile, but it probably just comes off goofy. "It's what I do best."

And so I break free of her and dive into the hell dimension to find him.

Status
Not open for further replies.