Status
Not open for further replies.

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
She heard a faint crash of leaves and another whoop -- or was it 'oops?' She definitely heard an 'Ow!' followed by what might have been an 'It seemed like a good idea at the time.'

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Day 23:
“So I guess it’s up to us again,” Starlet said, with a small smile.
Glancing back to Starlet, Faye asked, “Confident?”
“I’d say we’re averaging a pretty good success rate.”

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
"But afterwards, you have vacation! Spending all day every day adventuring," Ren says, even as I interrupt him with "Sleeping." He bounces on my bed, putting a dent in my mattress every time he touches down, simply because the universe knows it will bother me. Only it doesn't right now. The next time he hits the mattress, I grab his legs and pull them out from under him. He crashes into the bed with a laugh, then sits up, hovering just above the blankets. "Do that every time!"

"Nope. Just this once."

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Day 24:
Turning to Selkie, Monara said, “Your title, Selkie, is that of a mythological being connected to the sea. Am I correct in believing you have some fondness towards water?”

“I do. I’ve always loved marine animals and swimming at the beach. I guess the powers we found ourselves possessing themed themselves around things we were passionate about.”

[...]

“Faye,” asked Monara, “your friends have called you ‘Papillon’. In all of our conversations, you have never mentioned any dogs.”

Selkie and Autumn chuckled, while Starlet let out a burst of laughter. Even Fennec had a smile upon her face when Faye glanced back towards her.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Something about Toby's hatred of the occult has always worked its own sort of magic on Blake.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm editing today, and changed some stuff in this excerpt. But as I was reading the fortune, I realized just how apt it is now that I've written the rest of the book. When I wrote it, it was meant to trick Blake at first (thinking it's about Ren, not the demon he summoned), but be really obvious. Blake would lose his family if he didn't stop the demon. But as the book progressed, Blake's arc had more and more to do with dealing with new emotions and then all his emotions being taken from him, literally losing all his love. The fortune here has not changed.

He puts up a hand. "You are haunted by the past."

Well, obviously. Ren's eighty-something years old.

"If you don't restore things to how they naturally should be, everything you love will be taken from you."

I take a step back. "Uh, thanks, but no thanks. How much for the tea?"

He stares at me sadly, with deep brown eyes that seem to have no end. I bet that really sells the fortune crap to the tourists. "You cannot escape that choice. It is written here as destiny."

"I don't believe in destiny."

Atalanta

Bring me a knitting needle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ajaxkallistrate.com
"She said if I didn't hunt you down and get you to talk to me, she'd spend the rest of her life shaving my eyebrows off every time they grew back."

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I know that he had strong feelings for Kaylie, but I never thought they'd be strong enough to pierce through a frozen heart. Or maybe it was the act of kissing. He doesn't have much experience with it, so it'd be pretty exciting for normal Blake. Or maybe they did more than make out. That would be...

I look away. That's an experience I never had. One I'll probably never have, especially if I stay tethered to Blake. One I have to accept he's going to have someday.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I fixate on how he forms those words, the shape of his lips.

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So I haven't let myself dwell on how much I wanted, at least once, to kiss that sarcastic mouth of his.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Finally a good one!

I speak your name through parted lips, breath slight and hesitant, tone injected with lust and tease, feeling a schoolboy’s delight, yet I’m out of earshot, muffled by fabric, drowned by chatter, and damned with sin.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Day 29: Blake can thank his father for his adorable mess of brown curls, although his mother gave him their thickness.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, now I know he's not just sad but angry. Running off to his cousin, who almost certainly wants help with something occultastic, is a big 'screw you' to Toby.

Status
Not open for further replies.