AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Line of the Day - NaNo 2017

practical experience, FTW Felix's Avatar
    My favorite line arrived early today. Perhaps because I'm hungry. I'm at my best when I'm hungry.

Slate blue walls so dark they were almost black. Shelves of books with matching spines. A wooden desk and leather chairs. It was the room of a man who surrounded himself with statements but made few of his own.
    When I'm too tired for words, I Instagram. Yes, girls can like whiskey and wrenches.

practical experience, FTW sockycat's Avatar
    Just hit the 25,000 word mark, and just wrote a really satisfying scene. Here's my line!

When she finally spoke, her voice emerged encased in years of ice. “When you get your turn questioning him, make it hurt.”
    Visit my website and send me a neat pun.

Day 7's was an obvious pick:
    Of all of the things Faye pondered about the butterfly-woman before her, where her silk came out of would definitely not be one of them. Hopefully.
    [insert AW Flash Fiction Challenge advertisement here]
    (password is "flashed" — new prompt every Sunday!)

Bring me a knitting needle. Atalanta's Avatar
    She turned to Boreas, her eyes blazing, and mouthed something he thought at first was "Fuck him!" A moment later he recognized it as fulcrum.

She turned to Boreas, her eyes blazing, and mouthed something he thought at first was "Fuck him!" A moment later he recognized it as fulcrum.
    Love this!

I haven't had any lines I'm happy with up until today:

The queen gripped Kaeli's chin with cold fingers. "They've more green than blue," she said, perhaps a little tartly.
    "She has more than enough blue," the king answered, sounding jovial. "I congratulate you, my son."

practical experience, FTW meowzbark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
    I need to add 'fulcrum' to my daily vocabulary.
    4th Rewrite --> YA Paranormal, 73k words (on hold)
    Final revisions --> Dark Fantasy, 100k words

Twitter| Goodreads

Now with bonus eyelashes AW Moderator Sage's Avatar
    I have written my favorite chapter so far of this NaNo, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a line or few lines that make sense out of context. I guess I'll go with:

There's nothing to do but cup his cheeks in my hands and smoosh my face against his as tears drip off the end of my nose and onto his. He wraps his hands around my wrists but doesn't push me away. We stay that way for several minutes, silently grieving what we never thought we could lose.
    Paranormal Bromance and Joy (PB&J) - NaNoWriMo - 40,596 words

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

This is from a scene that makes me giggle so hard (two characters are traipsing through a swamp and my MC, Izzy, is noooooot happy about it.):

"I don't care if it's a bog of eternal stench, I want to go home! EEYAH!" Something large, hairy, and with far too many legs was on her boot. She burned it with fire.
    Laurine's Literary Lookout: http://laurinebruder.com
    Updates every Tuesday with writing tips, slices of author life, and thoughts on books and writing in general.

Get back to writing. NOW. Pterofan's Avatar
    "He took a step back, and watched the alien in the stolen human body attempt a mind meld with a deer."

I swear, it actually makes sense in context.

Day 8's clear pick:
    More clicking came from Monara in response. The cnidarian answered with her chirp-purring, the glow in her bell slowly changing between colours as they conversed. In between their speech, Faye felt the faint gusts that swept past the other two Outsiders. She’d heard other people in Garden City speaking in foreign languages, sometimes in school or families from other countries. Never before had Faye wondered so much about what was being discussed in front of her, in a way she knew she’d never comprehend in her life, even if all three involved could understand the others perfectly.
    [insert AW Flash Fiction Challenge advertisement here]
    (password is "flashed" — new prompt every Sunday!)

practical experience, FTW meowzbark's Avatar
    Sloppy grammar but whatever.

When he said nothing, did nothing except stare, while she shivered with pain, her every breath infected with the prickle of cactus spines, she whispered hoarsely, “Well?”
    4th Rewrite --> YA Paranormal, 73k words (on hold)
    Final revisions --> Dark Fantasy, 100k words

Twitter| Goodreads

Crime Writer and Fighter NathanCole's Avatar
    Meh...

This time of night, the fog seeping from the manholes and gutters, highlighted by the faded yellow street lights, always reminds me of tentacles waiting for the next unsuspecting victim to come a little too close so it can drag them down into the hungry guts of Miller’s Point.
    "Richie, there is a peace in death that I could not give you in life."

Day 8:

I grin because that's my good old grumpy-pants Blake.

"This isn't Scooby Doo. We're not meddling kids who are going to find clues and solve the mystery."
    "This is Scooby Doo, except the monsters and witches are real, and they have your family! You and Joy are the only ones who can do anything about it."

Day 9:

"We had something weird happened last night."
    "Weird how?" she asks.
    "It is pretty important to specify," Ren says. "I mean, you're really weird."
    "You're the weirdo."
    "You're the weirdest in the world."
    "Your face is--"
    "Weird how?" Joy says loudly, interrupting us despite the amusement in her eyes.
    "See? Joy agrees with me." Ren crosses his arms and nods, as if that settles it.

That was the problem with being friends with someone like him. He never let you forget that he saw you, even when you didn’t want to be seen.

Making Einstein cry since 1994 Maggie Maxwell's Avatar
    (New book, new characters. During an escape, one character has gotten stuck in a door that's pinned mostly closed)

Curse the day God said, “Lo, she shall be partner to Adam and called woman, and she will have giant lumps of fat upon her chest that he may have something to look upon.”
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

Blog (updated 10/18/17)| Twitter | Pinterest | Wattpad

figuring it all out
    Day 10:

It was the ideal spot. Close to the flower, yes, but she had also realized the tawny rock was no rock at all but a heap of dried feces, which she could use to fuel their fire. It must have been a majestic beast though, for it to conduct such homongous business, leaving an impression like this on the ground.

Day 10 (last two lines are callbacks to book 1 and a short story):

Open your eyes.
    I can't.
    It's time to wake up, Blakey!
    I reach for him and find something I think is his hand, but I can't make myself open my eyes.
    Look at me.
    And I do. Because we always do.
    Last edited by Sage; 11-11-2017 at 09:06 AM.

I just. can't. help myself. Day 11:

"I went back to the ghost hunting booth after we packed up ours." She points at me, hitting the mark for once. "I know what you're going to say."
    "That ghost hunting stuff doesn't work?"
    "'Joy, don't be silly. Ghost hunting stuff doesn't work.'"
    "That I'm the only ghost, so clearly anything that claims to prove ghostly activity must be lying?"
    "'I, Lawrence Hart, am the only ghost. Therefore, anything that proves ghost activity must not actually work.'"
    I like the way she says it better. Maybe because she's making her voice all deep and sing-songy in her estimation of what my voice must sound like.
    "That I promise I am not running around to all those ghost shows making their equipment work? It's not like Blake would ever let me have that much fun."
    "'Those ghost shows must be full of it. Blake would never let me go on them and mess with their equipment.'"

Day 12's best

As the sun set, a light in the distance caught her eye: fire, or a lantern. Either way, it meant people, and warmth.
    “Could mean bandits, too,” Ursula said.
    “Let them try us,” Gemma said. “I’ll bring hell upon them.”
    “Are you sure you’re not already a witch?”
    The insane who believe they are sane are crazy. The sane who know they are insane are writers.

Day 12:

"Screw you! I'm human. I'm allowed to bleed."

Day 13:

“Course we are. Not leaving the poor thing to die. And as I said, I won’t hurt him, he won’t hurt me. Or you, neither. He’ll be a right good boy, won’t he?” She scratched the little red head sticking out of her basket. It gave a small yip she could only assume was agreement. “See? Perfectly fine.”
    “It’s a wild animal.”
    “And I’m a witch. Which do you think is more scary?”

Believing I'm loved keeps me strong and experiencing life makes me even stronger. Both of those things would be easier to do if I were in Joy's care instead of Blake's.

Just...when did he fall in love with her? How did I miss that? Does she like him back? They can't even hold a conversation. But in Ren's romantic world, that probably doesn't even matter. It's not a reason not to choose her. They'll hold conversations in the future. They'll do everything in the future. And I can just rot here, and nobody will care.
    Nobody.
    Least of all me.

The King and Queen of Cheese BenPanced's Avatar
    (Being in a sweary mood, this appeared.)

Because who in their fucking right mind wants to fucking argue with a pack of fucking angry old men? Fuck it.
    I still poop rainbows.

I won't steal any of your ideas. I have enough of my own I'm not using.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast