• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How useful is the monomyth?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This morning I came across this:
Why Folklorists Hate Campbell

Yep. Aside from his ethnocentric patriarchal approach to tales that are wrenched out of all context, he makes really boneheaded errors that he shouldn't have made.

Like using bowdlerized translations; he uses Lady Charlotte Guest's translation of the Mabinogi, a translation with a Victorian sensibility that censors some pretty important parts of the Mabinogi.

He equates all representations of divinity with a Romanized Western pantheon, for instance. Even in reference to non-related languages.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Aside from his ethnocentric patriarchal approach to tales that are wrenched out of all context, he makes really boneheaded errors that he shouldn't have made.
When I was in college in the early 80s, I had the opportunity to take a semester Myth Studies course with one of Campbell's protégés; it was a very interesting class, but sometimes I wonder how different it would look if it were taught today. :) We were definitely taught to approach the Great Man's (TM) work with a high degree of deference... I know MY understanding is a lot deeper than it was then, and I think the field has grown as well.

(But, as is also way true in a lot of the pagan community, the scholarship that has made its way out to the point that it's influencing the non-academic public is 30 years out of date!)

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com