Stories you think would make good Disney Animated Features.

Which Story is Best for a Disney Film?

• The Firebird

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Noah's Ark

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jorinda and Joringel

• Lady in the Water

• The Goose Girl

• Bamboo Princess

• Romeo and Juliet

• The Odyssey

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • The Adventures of Nils

• Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters

• A Midsummer's Night Dream

• Twelve Dancing Princesses

• Other Fairytale, Myth, or Legend (posted)

• Other

• Total voters

LLTisdel

Registered
Reaction score
Website
illumismart.blogspot.com
So, Disney fans! Which fairytales and legends do you think Disney should consider for their next animated feature film?

My choices are:

1. The Firebird
2. Noah's Ark
3. Jorinda and Joringel
4. The Goose Girl
5. Lady in the Water
6. The Odyssey
7. Romeo and Juliet
8. The Adventures of Nils
9. Bamboo Princess
10. Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters
11. A Midsummer Night's Dream
12. Twelve Dancing Princesses

I have an illustrated version of my list in my blog. (If I can't post this here, let me know and I will delete it!)
https://illumismart.blogspot.com/2017/06/

Do you have your own Disney head-canons? Tell all below!

Last edited:

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
For Disney? I had to go with Midsummer.

I stage managed a campy '50s-inspired production of Midsummer several years back. Children's theatre. I'm still haunted by the glitter. But I did love the story.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think whatever is next in the pipe for Disney, it's going to be vastly changed from its original form, like The Little Mermaid. Both stories had a mermaid child curious about humans who makes a deal with a witch for legs but loses her voice, and saves and falls in love with a prince who unwittingly spurns her... but in all other aspects they were totally different.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, 'Romeo and Juliet'! Just to see how Disney manages to twist the story up so that neither Romeo and Juliet die, they get their happily-ever-after, and none of the sword-fights result in fatalities.:evil

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Oh, 'Romeo and Juliet'! Just to see how Disney manages to twist the story up so that neither Romeo and Juliet die, they get their happily-ever-after, and none of the sword-fights result in fatalities.:evil

They lampshade it, but Disney does kill characters in animation, even if they don't tend to show blood. Kocoum got shot in front of Pocahontas, the mother bear and Sitka died early in Brother Bear, and there was a death shown in shadow at the end of Tarzan... not to mention Mufasa (and Scar) in The Lion King. (And, of course, Bambi's mom...) The main characters are safe, but peripherals are fair game, especially if it goes to motivation.

As for a happy-ending Romeo, I didn't watch it, but I'm guessing that off-brand animated Gnomeo and Juliet from some years back didn't end with a murder-suicide. Or deaths in swordfights, come to think of it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Not a fairy tale, but I could see Disney tackling Joan of Arc as a "lady warrior" kind of story, then doing a bit of hand-waving before the inferno. They're on a bit of a "strong female with no prince" kick at the moment, and Joan would qualify. She's the right age, too.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Not a problem for Disney. They've got a long history of artfully glossing over major character deaths. For Davy Crockett at the Alamo, they cut away to the Texas flag and the catchy theme song just as the entire Mexican army is about to overwhelm Fess Parker. They could easy do the same thing for Joan. Or a "Tale of Two Cities"-type ending, where she's led to the stake for the fadeout. I'm not sure how they could make a Disney Princess out of a Christian martyr, though.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
'Disney Princess' is all about the look. If they don't show the martyrdom, no-one will be the wiser. Put Joan in a 'simple country-girl' dress, (with tights underneath for when she hops on her horse and rides), add a shiny cuirass on top, and there you go.
Less 'Joan as Christian Martyr', more 'Joan as Saviour of France'.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I just saw that there was an actual poll, and I voted for '12 Dancing Princesses'. Lots of princesses, which gives much room for antagonists and comic sidekicks, and if the 'real' world is done in 'standard' animation, and the underground land is done in that classic Disney 'painterly' look, would clearly define the two realms.

SarahGallgher

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I voted for A Midsummer Night's Dream. I was thinking of this one versus Jorinda and Joringel and The Odyessy, because I remember watching and enjoying animated versions of all of these by non-Disney producers. But it's the first one that sparks my interest the most. But all three of these have great potential for animated feature films from Disney whether 2D or 3D animated for these days.

And just for the record, Disney actually did an animated short version of Noah's Ark in Walt's time that I watched on TV when I was much younger, and sort of touched on the subject matter of the plot of Romeo and Juliet in The Lion King II: Simba's Pride, which is still a whole other story of course with a plot and ending like how others here have already mentioned of how Disney handles things.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And just for the record, Disney actually did an animated short version of Noah's Ark in Walt's time that I watched on TV when I was much younger, and sort of touched on the subject matter of the plot of Romeo and Juliet in The Lion King II: Simba's Pride, which is still a whole other story of course with a plot and ending like how others here have already mentioned of how Disney handles things.

Was that the version they included in Fantasia 2000, with Donald Duck as Noah?

And Lion King II was one of their best direct-to-video efforts that I saw; just a little tightening, and it would've been big screen material. (It's a shame they trashed the arc in the new "Lion Guard" movies, from what I hear...)

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've found references to a version that was done as a Silly Symphony in 1933 and a stop-motion short they did with "found" objects in 1959.

I've seen the stop-motion one, too, on one of those collection VHS tapes ages ago. For some reason, I didn't associate the stop-motion with Disney so much as George Pal or one of the others...