AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: November Challenge - Write Every Day

Whittling Away My Writer's Block D.L. Shepherd's Avatar
    DanielSTJ...wow...nice work! I'm lucky if I manage 1500 in 3 days.

Raindrop...as long as you are trying, you *are* pulling it off.

Keithy...500+ is great, especially after editing and cutting some.

Layla...Yay! 3 for 3 again!

Me...504 today. The amazing part is, I wrote them in 20 minutes, which is all the time I had before I had to leave to take my crazy Lab to obedience school. I have to admit, I would have had more time, but damn that social media again.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    spottedgecko- The way my writing used to work is I would hear the characters talk and all I had to do was write it down. I knew my characters so well that they wrote the story. Now I have to write every single word and it's like pulling teeth. I'm working on a novel I started seven years ago. I had bipolar depression back then as I wrote it and it was the easiest thing in the world. I'm still trying to get used to how hard it is to get those words now.

DL- Nano didn't make me lose my passion for writing. I lost that long ago I'm sorry to say. I'm in a tricky situation. I have OCD and its interfering with my writing. Truth be told I don't have a passion for my nano novel if I wrote what I truly wanted it would give me crippling anxiety. I used to not write at all. I'm compromising now by writing what won't give me anxiety but I fear it is the hardest to write because I don't have a connection to it.

Layla Nahar- Thankyou!

Day 8:

I had a better day than yesterday and wrote 291 words that's 41 words more than my daily goal.

I'm thinking if I have another tough day I'll take the weekend off. I may not be a EVERYDAY writer. In the meantime I'm going to search for a thread about writing with mental illness. The only thing I've heard about it is just force yourself to write which is what I've been doing.

947 words written today for a NaNoWriMo total of 4462. Not nearly as much as I hoped for, BUT I did plot out the remaining 7 chapters I hadn't outlined, plus an epilogue, and I fleshed out a couple character plots, so I'm reasonably happy. Just wish I could catch up!!!

edutton - hope your neck feels better soon!
    thereeness - days off are definitely good. It's one reason I switch between works in progress so often. That's why I'm trying NaNoWriMo - to see if I CAN just bang out a book, just one book, and not work on six at once.
    D.L. Shepherd - thanks! Also, 675/504 is good! Keep on keeping on!
    DanielSTJ - that's amazing! Just wow...
    Raindrop - just make sure you follow Hemingway's advice about editing!
    Keithy - I've started saving "deleted" bits in a separate document. That way I can go back and see if there were good nuggets in it.
    Layla Nahar - woohoo! That sounds like a great day!!
    Disorderly Order - good luck with your writing and owning your struggles!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin LadyRedRover's Avatar
    Day 8
    Wrote 5 ideas and 277 words. I had a super-rough day at work and ended up curled on the couch watching The Mask instead of writing...

Wrote about 2.5 pages last night and finished off a chapter and also drafted my blog post for next week. Not a bad night
    Laurine's Literary Lookout: http://laurinebruder.com
    Updates every Tuesday with writing tips, slices of author life, and thoughts on books and writing in general.

practical experience, FTW Magnus's Avatar
    Day 6-9
    I'm feeling a little better but I'm still going carefully and not pushing myself with goals, especially seeing that I have social events planned all three days this weekend and I know they're going to drain my energy just as I've begun to recover from the last round. But I wrote 350 words the other day and I've done some important editing, so I've not been completely passive. I'll move back the goal to just doing something writing-related each day until I feel fully up to it again.

Thanks for hugs and well-wishes, always appreciated.

Keep fighting, keep writing!
    You can find my stories on Patreon.
    I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces.

Disorderly...I'm so sorry to learn all that. I hope you can find passion for a project that you love, but which won't make you feel anxious. Maybe if this isn't the one, like you say, it'll be the one that gets you in a writing habit again. I'm glad you are writing, and I hope as this story progresses, you will find some kind of connection to it. Good luck!

peartree: 947 words *plus* all that planning is pretty awesome!

LadyRedRover: Sorry you had a crappy day at work. Hope the movie helped you unwind.

thereeness: Nice work! Keep it up.

Magnus: Glad you are feeling a bit better, and being proactive about this next round of events. Nice job on the 350 words and the editing.

Me: I'm feeling kind of blah today about stuff that I can't talk about here, and I'm deciding between shutting off the computer entirely and picking up a book to read, or forcing myself to write. Kind of just wasting some time here and on Facecrack until I make up my mind. Pathetic, huh?

Day 9:

I wrote 311 words

I made a thread of my own about my problem and got some good advice. It's not the kind of advice I wanted to get but I should probably take it. I'm very good at pushing myself and self discipline. So much so that I don't notice when it crosses the line into harmful. I think the best thing for me is not to quit writing forever but to take a break and only write when I want to. Write when it makes me happy to do so. I don't have many hobbies which is why the thought of not writing scared me so much. Even if it took up an hour out of the day if that hour is spent anxious and stressed then its time not well spent.

So because I can't leave things in the middle of the week I'm going to do my hour a day until the end of the week. Then I will check in if I wrote something but I'm not going to have a structured regimen of writing every day.

Pretty much nothing, too much other stuff to do today. During one car journey I more or less figured out how to deal with a firefight scene. That's it. Tomorrow looks fully booked already. Saturday looks promising though.

peartree - my "deleted bits" file is larger than the manuscript they came from.
    disorderly - good luck from me to you.

Everyone else keep on with the tippy-tap tippy-tap. We can do it!

DL - I've had those 20-minute wonders. Just wish I could do it on command…
    Disorderly - congrats on exceeding your daily! (Mine is similar to yours. When I started I thought a daily min would be asking too much, but I'm going to try to shoot for it. 'Doable' is the key. - and I'm going to have to forgive myself if I fall short - that's the hard part...) (oh - ps - I think that you will get to the other side of the … maze? obstacle course your mind is putting up. It helped me to see that even though my mind was acting against me, it had my best interests at heart (don't stand out, don't take risks, don't expose yourself…) (((hugs)))
    peartree - Congrats! on the 947
    Lady Red - 277 is a great day, IMO
    reeness - congrats on the 2.5 pages!
    Magnus - I hear you - a little self-care (and self-compassion) goes a long way (I've found that there are days when I can push myself, but days when I have to be happy that I've just done *something* - though I really find a correlation to the degree of stressful events in my life and the number of words I can write.)
    DL - hope it's a good break
    Disorderly - 2nd holla - I heard this tonight: "It's ok to give yourself a pass"
    Keithy - the water is fine!

Day 9: 9 handwritten lines; 233 digital words; rsvp-ed a head-hunter, wrote a job letter, did some of that online training;
    3/3
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

practical experience, FTW DanielSTJ's Avatar
    1,500 words written for my first draft of my fifth novel.

1,000 words edited for the third draft of my first.

Additionally, about 500 words written for class.

I feel spent.
    Vivere militare est.

Had a horrible day at work. My face actually hurt from all the yelling I did. So, I only wrote 419 words today. Going to bed now with a tv show and a teddy bear and hoping tomorrow isn't so tough.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin LadyRedRover's Avatar
    Day 9

I was actually pretty happy today because I wrote 307 words on the story I'm working on, rather than divvying it up between projects. I'm nearing the end now.

@thereeness, Congratulations on the productive writing day!
    @Magnus, It's always a good thing to have flexible goals and it sounds like you're on the right track. I also really admire that you're able to gauge your energy like that. I have a bad tendency of going full bore until I smack right into a mental exhaustion wall...
    @D.L. Shepherd, Thanks for the support! The movie helped a lot And I'm sorry to hear that you're having a rough go of it as well. I've had those days too, where I'm waffling around. Usually, for me, the answer is to do something entirely different and self-care-ish, like taking a bubble bath or going for a walk
    @Layla Nahar, Thanks! Sounds like you had a pretty great day yourself
    DanielSTJ, Wow! Looks like you made a lot of progress! Well done ^_^
    @peartree, Sorry to hear you had a bad day. Hopefully tomorrow is better for you. In the meantime, I'll be sending good vibes your way, ok?

Disorderly...I hope you get some helpful advice in your other thread. Good luck figuring it all out. We're all still here if you need some support too.

Keithy...Nice that you figured out a scene that was giving you trouble. When I have down time like that, in a car, cooking, cleaning, etc, I try to mull over issues in my WIP too.

DanielSTJ...I'd feel worn out too. You got a hell of a lot done. Nice work!

peartree...Sorry you had such a bad day yesterday. Hope today is better for you.

LadyRedRover...That's great that you had a successful writing session and stayed on track with the one story. Glad the movie was helpful!

Me...I did end up just signing off the computer and reading last night. Still feeling kind of blah, but I'll try to get some words in later today.

LadyRed - That's awesome that you've managed to find some time to write in all the chaos
    DL - Reading is good for the writing brain. It serves as food and inspiration on what you want to emulate or erase from your writing. And I always advocate taking a break once in a while ^^
    peartree - I hope today goes better for you and kudos on writing period with a sore face. I can't write if I'm the slightest bit uncomfortable, so my hat's off.

I wrote another 6 pages, finished a chapter, knocked a character for a loop when her love interest got all dolled up (which her bff teased her about later) and tonight is festival night. 2-3 chapters ahead of character shenanigans and development, friendships, and possibly romance. Real early stages though. I also have, for the first time in my writing career, filled an entire 3-subject notebook with a single WIP. I'm so proud of myself Also had to replace my backup pen because my new(ish) pen ran outta ink real darn fast.
    Updates every Tuesday with writing tips, slices of author life, and thoughts on books and writing in general.

figuring it all out
    D.L. Sheperd - it's ok, we all have those nights. Plus I always think of reading as work for writing too--it's research, it's building your own skills as a writer
    thereeness - WOW look at you go!! That's awesome and it sounds like you're reaching an exciting part of the book!

Managed to write 2,000 words yesterday even though goal was 3,000 - I'm hoping to reach 6,000 for a total of 40,000 words on my WIP today, it's a steep goal but I'll do my best. Happy writing everybody!!

practical experience, FTW Magnus's Avatar
    Day 10
    Apologies for not participating much, there's a lot going on and my mind is buzzing. But I'm still here, and I did more important editing today, so that's good. I'll get more involved with the thread again after the weekend has passed.
    You can find my stories on Patreon.
    I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces.

OK I managed 215 words today, and more importantly, I finished re-jigging chapter 44 (changing the result of a coup, and a couple of betrayals). So next is a new chapter entitled "escape". That will need some planning - so far I have only random jottings of what will happen. Good news, though, and I have reached my mini-target. Saturday looks quite good, but then Christmas shopping is beckoning.

Daniel STJ - that is serious progress!
    Layla - no bad jokes about water please...
    Peartree - another hug coming your way.

peartree, DL, Layla Nahar Thank you for the encouragement!

And congratulations to all of you for the progress you've made so far

Day 9:

I wrote 282 words. I take breaks after every 50 words and I write until the hour is up. I think that's how I exceed my goal if anyone finds that helpful.

Good luck writing and remember to have fun!

Daniel - I'd be spent, heck I'd be spent if I tried to write 900 words…
    peartree - hope you take it easy & rest
    Lady Red - congrats on the 307
    DL - hope it was a good break
    reeness - way to go!
    ktz - sweet word count!
    Magnus - good to see you
    Keithy! Congrats on the 215 - & uh. So that means I can't tell you the one about how an Irisman a Scot and an Englishman meet a genie…
    Congrats on those words, Disorderly

Today I worked at my retail job from 9-4 - then, bank & groceries, it's 5:30 and I'm going to make tea, have a snack and start working on my 3;

Day 10: (already?)
    Wrote 356 digital words. So I made my 'if you *can*' target of 300. But I skipped the handwritten stuff today. I'm really tired… Did some online training (web design) & some work (crossed over from the training) on my marketing page. 2/3 - but I'm happy.
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

I have been... not writing the last couple of days. Long story (and lots of extra hours at work, where I still am), but the weekend is ahead of me.

In the meantime, I'm really feeling this cartoon at the moment:
    http://www.poorlydrawnlines.com/comic/the-process/
    Write the change you want to see in the world!

Writing exposition is like putting red pepper flakes on your pizza - the occasional burst adds depth and flavor, too much in a lump can burn the reader out.

PREPARING TO SUB: One of the Lucky Ones (YA) - Soundtrack, Moodboard
    NANOWRIMO '17!: Stoyanovich and the Princess (MG historical fantasy/suspense, kind of)
    PONDERING: Lion of Andalus (historical)
    Twitter (barely)

thereeness...You wrote so much you even killed your pen. Nice!

ktzeee...Sorry you didn't hit your goal, but 2,000 words is still awesome! Hope you reached your 40K. I'm creeping up on that number too, although, a lot slower than you are. I started mine in mid-July.

Magnus...Great to hear you're still editing in the background! Hope you have a good weekend.

Keithy...Sounds like you're plugging along nicely. I've started Christmas shopping already too. I hadn't planned on it, it seems too early for me personally, but then I started seeing good gifts that people would love, and I thought, "Why the hell not?" It'll be better to get much of it done now before the stores become war zones.

Disorderly...Nice job on adding those words. Seems like you've got a good system worked out. As for this -- "Good luck writing and remember to have fun!" -- same to you!

Layla...2 of 3 isn't bad, especially when you've got so much going on.

edutton...Cute cartoon, and I can relate. I've been through that very sequence more times than I can count! Hope you have a productive weekend.

Me...I added 750+ words yesterday. Made up for the previous day, in which I spent much of the night procrastinating and then didn't end up writing at all. I did read a few chapters though, so it was a nice break.

DL - Yay for a good break AND getting words down. *Thumbs up!* (And yes, pens live in fear of me for I am the Pen Slayer)
    Layla - Wow, that is one full day, grats on getting some writing done
    ktz - DAMN that's a great writing session!

So, pro tip guys, never, ever, EVER read a book about self editing and then try to work on your WIP. I read my new book by Renni and King and I ended up stalling so bad because I was critiquing every syllable I wrote as I wrote it. It took about 3/4 of my work shift and finishing up FOREST OF A THOUSAND LANTERNS (which is AWESOME btw) before I was able to put pen to paper and write. And by the time I got done writing, I realized I'd have to trash everything I wrote! My MC's waxing on about how she yearns to find love when, the previous chapter, was all like, "Love only hurts you and I don't want to be hurt again" and I'm like, "F*********ck." So, I hope to do better tonight. Really do. Cause urgh.

Did a bit of planning of what happens in my "escape" chapter but no actual writing. I'm not crazy about it so will need some time to think about it.

The Christmas shopping went well.

figuring it all out
    thereeness - I'm reading FOTL too!! Not that far into it so far, been pretty busy, plus the pacing is a wee bit slow in the beginning. I hear it picks up quickly though so I'm excited to dive more into it

Keithy - planning is crucial to making sure your words won't be wasted, so in a way that's writing too!

Ahhh I crushed my Nanowrimo goal and hit 50,000 words in 11 days! I can't believe how easily this novel has poured out of me! Soooo so happy XD And now I'm exhausted and going to wind down with a book. I hope everyone had a great writing day, and if not, there's always tomorrow! Have to rest properly to be able to write your best

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast