How do I write a novel about character development?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I guess there are plots, and then there are plots...

Look at the movie Easy Rider. Two guys sell drugs, buy motorcycles, and ride across the southern US. There's not much plot there, it's just a character piece (it seems to me).

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Look at the movie Easy Rider. Two guys sell drugs, buy motorcycles, and ride across the southern US. There's not much plot there, it's just a character piece
It also has a lot of visuals to help the narrative. And handsome actors. You can't put either of those in a book.
In a book the author will have to include something that will hold the reader's attention. Find a book you liked and make a list of the things that made it interesting for you, excluding the plot :Shrug:

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
It also has a lot of visuals to help the narrative. And handsome actors. You can't put either of those in a book.
In a book the author will have to include something that will hold the reader's attention. Find a book you liked and make a list of the things that made it interesting for you, excluding the plot :Shrug:

It's always the characters. For me they're more important than the plot (which also has to be engaging) - If I don't care for the character, I also don't care how they make it through conflict.

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
My novel doesn't have much of a plot either. I suppose that the expectations differ between genres. Your character needs to change--that's it.

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
One book I love that has very little plot action is "The Snow Queen" by Michael Cunningham...there are a few pivotal events that move the story forward, but more than anything it's a character study. If you like literary fiction, I recommend checking it out.

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
Once a scene is done, why should the reader turn the page and begin the next? And don't say, "because they like the characters." Characters are vital, but they don't keep readers on the edges of their seats. That's what plot is for.

I disagree with this... or, rather, I believe that character development can constitute plot on its own.

Dancre

Just have fun.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kimkouski.com
I have a few plots involving the main character, but the action mostly involves side characters and his involvement really amounts to his reactions, his involvement with side characters (typically friends/family), and what he learns from them. I'm really stumped as to a "central" plot or even how to otherwise connect the others. Would you please make some suggestions?

So is this more of a character driven story as opposed to a plot driven story? As a poster said above, you still need a plot like he's trying to find peace for walking away from his faith or his mom is upset and refuses to talk to her. Have you seen the movie, Real Women Have Curves. It's about a college aged woman works in her sister's sweat shop and she wants to go to college and no longer work in the sweat shop. Mom and sister pretty much have drama attacks over it and try to talk her out of it. but at the end, the girl goes off to college despite her mother sobbing in the bedroom and playing the victim.

So what does your character what to do? What is like someone said above, the pay off? What is he trying to find? Redemption? His own path? Peace with freaked out mom?

character driven stories are just that, the character drives them, but you still need a plot. So now you need to talk to him and see what does HE want? Once you find that, you'll find your plot.