I can't believe I have an AGENT! A real one, with a name and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
When my mother died I wasn't there to say good bye. I travelled to my country, dealt with the coroner, the cremation and funeral arrangements, the people who sobbed their hearts out and yet expected me to 'stay strong'. On the day of the funeral I couldn't take it anymore and closeted myself in my old bedroom--and began to write. That booked turned into the novel I flogged this year during #Pitmad and #Dvpit (Sept and Oct). I never imagined the interest my pitches would receive, but I'm happy to say that after several offers I've signed with Leon Husock, of Lori Perkins Agency, NYC! Like, an actual real agent! lol

Agent comments about my book during offer phone calls were mostly the same: it's 'raw and passionate and funny and heartbreaking'... In short, it's all the things I remember about being a teenager in my tiny country in the 1980s. I wrote my mother into the book as a young, secondary character, and throughout my writing it felt as though she was holding my hand. This book is for her, and I'm over the moon that I now have the solid backing of a fabulous agent who'll do his best to get it on the shelves. :hooray:

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome. Congratulations! I'm curious what little country you're from. I dig your avatar, by the way!

I'm sorry you weren't there when your mother died. This has happened to a coupla friends of mine (that's what you get when living in different countries).

When is publication expected?

StoryofWoe

Sick and pale with grief.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been following your progress here since you started posting about your (many) requests in the agency threads, and I'm so, so happy to see you've landed an agent!! Congratulations, Pisco. :partyguy: While tragedy may not be a prerequisite for creativity, writing your way through the pain and grief can certainly aid in the healing process. I'm sure your mother would be very proud. :heart:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Congratulations! Making art out of tragedy--it's the big consolation of fiction. Writing from the heart is great--and clearly you have the craft to do the story justice.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Pisco, I'm not sure the right things to say to acknowledge your loss and, at the same time, celebrate your successes. Like StoryofWoe, I've followed along with your threads this month. Sending you warm thoughts and congratulations.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:greenie
b.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
d.gif
a.gif
n.gif
c.gif
e.gif

n.gif
o.gif
w.gif
space.gif
space.gif
w.gif
i.gif
t.gif
h.gif
space.gif
space.gif
c.gif
o.gif
n.gif
g.gif
r.gif
a.gif
t.gif
u.gif
l.gif
a.gif
t.gif
i.gif
o.gif
n.gif
s.gif

:banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana:

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful news! Finally, YAY! I remember us being in the submission trenches. It's a long time coming and I'm super happy for you!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!! That's like the coolest thing that you wrote your mom as a character in the book.

Tabitha Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

May this be just the first* of many great things to come!

happinesss,
Tabitha

* Okay, second really. Finishing a book is, in itself, a pretty great thing.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Pisco!

Although in my own defense, this is not a huge a surprise to me. I had a feeling it was going to go this way after seeing how receptive agents were being to your book, so this is really just the natural conclusion.

Felix

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Some powerful stuff can be found in the depths of the soul and not everyone is blessed with the ability to wrangle those things into art. I hope this is the first of many awesome milestones. And thanks for sharing it with the world!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, and best of luck with the submission process!

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Huge congrats, Pisco! I'm glad to hear you found the right agent match for you and your writing. Very exciting!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The story of the story sounds like a story in itself.

Congrats on landing an agent! Congrats on finding a way to make lemonade of your lemons. May you always do well.

And I too want to know which little country you're from.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much everybody! I was out most of the day and I've come back to so many lovely, congratulatory messages! Writing this book took a lot out of me, and I'm so pleased I persevered and found a great agent to champion it to publishers. First, the edits! Track changes here I come.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like an impressive agent and agency. Congrats on getting so close to publication. :snoopy:

Your mother would be proud.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
LOOOL! Woke up to the Snoopy Dances and had another look at the crazy Bananas. Is it bad to re-read the congrats messages? I still have to convince myself I've done it! Of course, there's no guarantee this book will find a publisher--nothing is a given in this industry. But having the backing of a solid agent who believes in my writing and wants to rep my work is such an empowering feeling after all the rejections and self doubt. Thank you, all of you, for your condolences and congratulations. It's a strange feeling of deep happiness, and also sadness. If that makes sense. But I'm happy to say that mainly I'm: :hooray:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Of course it's not bad to reread congratulation messages! Proves that you didn't dream them.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Status
Not open for further replies.