Multiple Manuscripts in Scrivener

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopherdschmitz

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
I'm a new user to Scrivener and I'm wondering about the best way to write multiple books at once?

The main reason I am using it all is the ability to have my research present as one pool. I'm writing a 5 book arc, each in a different time period but with different elements happening in one book affecting what happens in subsequent books. Scriveners tools should help me keep track of it all. However, I'm not seeing an option in my project to make a second manuscript to keep the books separate. I'm using a slightly older version of the software--is this an easy option in newer versions (if so, I'll just upgrade)?
Am I overthinking it--maybe there's an easy way and I'm just not seeing it?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I just start a new project for each book, even when there's some overlap. It gets far too complicated to keep more than one book in each project.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
What Old Hack said. I understand wanting to keep your research for multiple books in one place, but multiple books in a single Scrivener project is a huge PITA (although possible). I've got a project for short stories, and I nearly always get the compile wrong the first time because I forget to set something up the way I want it.

You might consider a separate project that's only research, to make it easy for you to find no matter what book you're working in. Scrivener has no problem having more than one project open at a time.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
You could also maybe copy the Research folder (or anything else that contains information needed for every book) and paste it into the project for each new book, if you don't want multiple projects open at once.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with the others, much better to have separate projects for each book. You can always drag and drop your research folder into each new project you make, so you always have it on hand.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Status
Not open for further replies.