Another example of the blinding ignorance of Donald J. Trump

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It has now been revealed that he asked the two Republican Senators from Alaska if he should reverse the Obama executive order that officially renamed Mt. McKinley to Mt. Denali:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/24/politics/trump-denali-mt-mckinley/index.html

The only reason the mountain was ever given the name "McKinley" was to honor assassinated President William McKinley, who had never been to Alaska, nor anywhere near it. The great mountain's original name, from native peoples, dated back millennia, and Obama simply restored it. It is exactly analogous to the renaming of Cape Canaveral in Florida to Cape Kennedy, which lasted a few years and was later reversed.

Trump's obsessive mania to undo everything Obama did is . . . I'm sorry, it's late at night here, and I lack a proper adjective just now.

caw

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
It's the tallest peak in the US so it seems to fulfill the yuuge part. Blac will have to comment on whether it keeps it's snowy/glacier whiteness year round.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he'll sign an EO naming it Mt. Trump.
Probably his intention from the moment he heard it was the tallest mountain in the U.S.
The Mighty Mississippi River should brace for it's reincarnation as the Trump RIver. (I'm guessing that 'Rio Trump' is out of the question.)

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's the tallest peak in the US so it seems to fulfill the yuuge part. Blac will have to comment on whether it keeps it's snowy/glacier whiteness year round.

Oh, yes, indeedy it does. On a clear day, you can see Denali and it's 17,000+ ft. neighbor, Foraker, clearly from Anchorage, about 200 miles away. It is by far the tallest peak so far north, and climbers die on it almost every year.

caw

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Probably his intention from the moment he heard it was the tallest mountain in the U.S.
The Mighty Mississippi River should brace for it's reincarnation as the Trump RIver. (I'm guessing that 'Rio Trump' is out of the question.)

There would be some thematic justification for naming the lowest point in the US after him, but that's in California, and I don't want anything here named after him.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Oh, yes, indeedy it does. On a clear day, you can see Denali and it's 17,000+ ft. neighbor, Foraker, clearly from Anchorage, about 200 miles away. It is by far the tallest peak so far north, and climbers die on it almost every year.

caw
A friend of mine spent time as a climbing guide on Denali, shepherding up groups of climbers. She was good at it; she never lost anyone.

ZachJPayne

Beware: #amQuerying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
zachjpayne.com
There would be some thematic justification for naming the lowest point in the US after him, but that's in California, and I don't want anything here named after him.

The worst smelling place I've ever been to was the bathrooms in the u-bahn station at Marienplatz, in Munich. Maybe we should all petition Angela Merkel to name it the Donald J. Trump Executive Washroom. As a national gesture of goodwill.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
She's met him, bet she'd go for it! She's probably smart enough to make it sound like a yuuge compliment, as well.
What's the largest dump/landfill in the U.S.? Would that circle of garbage in the Pacific sound any better as 'The Great Trump Vortex'?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine spent time as a climbing guide on Denali, shepherding up groups of climbers. She was good at it; she never lost anyone.

Which is great. But, a decade or so ago, one of the most legendary Denali climbing guides, a man with the wondrous moniker of Mugs Stump, disappeared into a snow-covered crevasse while crossing a glacier, and was never found. It happens to some of the best of them.

caw

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
The men's room at Billy Bob's Texas (designated the world's largest honkytonk) should be designated the "Donald J. Trump Crapper No. 45". Considering how full of it Trump is, the naming would be most appropriate.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump is replacing Janet Yellen despite the fact everyone agrees she's doing a great job and Federal Reserve Chairpersons normally stay at least 8 years.

Yellen Will Leave Top Fed Post With Solid Record
Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen, the first woman to hold that position, won't have the opportunity to serve four more years as leader of the nation's central bank. But she leaves the Fed's top post having largely achieved its mandate to engineer full employment while keeping inflation at a level that fosters growth.
Racist (eliminate all things Obama), sexist (Trump has no respect for the fact Yellen in the first woman to hold that position), crony rewarding (he's installing yet another multi-millionaire friend of a friend) pig. (My apologies again to AW Admin for naming and insulting he who must not be named. I'm just so disgusted.)

Aaaand of course a friend one can influence is a friend indeed.
Mnuchin pushing Trump to pick Jerome Powell for Fed
The people familiar with the process indicated that Mnuchin, who knows Powell well, feels comfortable with him and feels that he is a safe pick over whom Mnuchin can exert some measure of influence.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious (I'm Canadian, so may have missed something) as to why 45 isn't getting lampooned a lot more than he is. So many opportunities for cartoons. For instance, this latest thing with Putin, I'd expect something like a cartoon of 45 as a marionette held by Putin.

But, nothing. Has he threatened lawsuits or something?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm curious (I'm Canadian, so may have missed something) as to why 45 isn't getting lampooned a lot more than he is. So many opportunities for cartoons. For instance, this latest thing with Putin, I'd expect something like a cartoon of 45 as a marionette held by Putin.

I'm from the US, and I don't know either. Maybe it is because because #45's punitive nature is making some cartoonists and editors afraid of lawsuits (or being subjected to rants that could hurt circulation), Or maybe it's because there's so much fodder every single day that the humorists are saturated and overwhelmed. Or maybe it's because the situation is so grim and scary that it's hard for even political cartoonists to find any humor in it.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

I wouldn't say "nothing." I've seen some political cartoons (and a few other cartoons, if not quite so blatantly) taking him on, if not daily. I've also seen many internet memes and gifs lampooning him, which seem to be filling the gap left by undrawn political cartoons, including several puppet/marionette/45 as the child by "Daddy" Putin takes. (But, then, my Facebook feed leans left...)

My guess, in addition to the threats (vague and direct) against the free press made by the administration, is it's sheer exhaustion. They're overwhelmed. The ink wouldn't even be dry before whatever was lampooned was overshadowed by another gaffe or horror. Where do you aim? What do you draw? The target's too yuuge.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Cartoons require a good dose of critical thinking and indisputable freedom of the press, both of which are on the decline in the US.

-cb

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
You guys aren't seeing the cartoons and memes? I see them all the time on Twitter.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
It's become hard to effectively lampoon Donald Trump because he is a walking lampoon, all on his own. Satirical comedian Lewis Black has said something to the effectn (paraphrased) that "my comedy depends on me being crazier than what I'm talking about. I can't really make that work anymore."

caw

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
It's become hard to effectively lampoon Donald Trump because he is a walking lampoon, all on his own. Satirical comedian Lewis Black has said something to the effectn (paraphrased) that "my comedy depends on me being crazier than what I'm talking about. I can't really make that work anymore."

caw

Exactly. How are the cartoonists supposed to lampoon something when the President of the United States puts out tweets that sound like they're written by an 8-year-old?

Why would Kim Jong-un insult me by calling me "old," when I would NEVER call him "short and fat?" Oh well, I try so hard to be his friend - and maybe someday that will happen!