• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is my novel historical fiction?

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
huntforkomodocracker.wixsite.com
My novel is one third modern and the other two thirds take place 1500 years ago in Persia. It is science fiction, time travel but could I also call it historical fiction?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's likely spec. fic. Think of it this way, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, the Magic Treehouse etc. all go back in time. They can go considerably far back in time and set their story can take place in that distant time and place, but it's still not historical fiction.

leifwright

Mired in the miry mire.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leifwright.com
My novel is one third modern and the other two thirds take place 1500 years ago in Persia. It is science fiction, time travel but could I also call it historical fiction?

As a fan of the idea that time travel could have had a profound impact on the past, I have to say the concept is intriguing. My first novel, "A Wizard's Secrets," was based on that concept, using real people from history, real events that affected their lives and plausible technology (assuming the possibility of time travel).

So my answer is sort of simple: If you're using real historical people (or people who plausibly could be real), and surrounding them with real historical events, yes, it's historical fiction.

Science fiction? Undoubtably. But Historical Fiction is also a distinct possibility.

Take with a grain of salt, genres aren't exactly my symphony. But I think I'm right nonetheless.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
Unless you clearly reference historical events during the 1500 period, not as background, but as integral to the novel's raison d'etre, I would suggest you DO NOT query as 'Historical Fiction'.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
The point of the label is partly to let readers know what to expect. As a reader, I would not be looking for time travel or other SF elements in historical fiction. I've heard an author on a podcast talk about how, when a book is in the wrong category at Amazon, it will garner some one-star reviews for that reason.

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The point of the label is partly to let readers know what to expect. As a reader, I would not be looking for time travel or other SF elements in historical fiction. I've heard an author on a podcast talk about how, when a book is in the wrong category at Amazon, it will garner some one-star reviews for that reason.

I read about this, so I wanted to make sure. I found some websites that merge the two but I think it’s the exception. I will leave out historical fiction.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
As a fan of the idea that time travel could have had a profound impact on the past, I have to say the concept is intriguing. My first novel, "A Wizard's Secrets," was based on that concept, using real people from history, real events that affected their lives and plausible technology (assuming the possibility of time travel).

So my answer is sort of simple: If you're using real historical people (or people who plausibly could be real), and surrounding them with real historical events, yes, it's historical fiction.

Science fiction? Undoubtably. But Historical Fiction is also a distinct possibility.

Take with a grain of salt, genres aren't exactly my symphony. But I think I'm right nonetheless.

What you describe is alternate history, a subgenre of SF/Fantasy. It's definitely not historical fiction, for the reasons others have given.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Octavia Butler's Kindred is like this; it's about a modern (1970s, when the book was written) woman who time-travels to the antebellum South. While its depictions of plantation life and slave experiences are rigorous enough to satisfy any reader of historical fiction, I'm pretty sure the book is typically considered science fiction or historical fantasy, because of the time-travel element and because of what the rest of Butler's oeuvre looks like. And that's fair; whereas a historical novel about the period would be a story of life in the antebellum South, Butler's story is as much about that life as it is about how a modern person reacts to that life and interacts with the people who live it. It's quite a different focus.

I have to admit I read Kindred book because of its historical element, but I knew it had a time-travel element; I could imagine that an audience in the market for straight-up historicals might be put off by that aspect, because usually people who read historicals are looking for faithful representations of the period and are comfortable with speculation taken so far and no further.

Long and short, I agree with your conclusion to think of your story as time-travel-science-fiction with a historical element, rather than as historical fiction, because the former probably better captures your audience and what they are looking for.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
To look at it another way, historical romances are not queried as historical fiction either, but as a subgenre within romance. Even if the historical setting is meticulously researched and real people and events are integral to the story, they are first and foremost genre romances (with the central love story and HEA etc.), so they would likely garner a different kind of reader than would a work of pure historical fiction.

Connie Willis's books that are centered around time travel to distinct historical periods are classified as Science Fiction, even if a large chunk of the story is taking place during the Black Death, the Victorian era, or WWII etc. She's a Damon Knight Grand Master in the Genre and her books have won top awards within the SF genre.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
For me, historical fiction means no science fiction or fantasy elements.

You still want to do the research, but also look to your target audience.

+1

When I look for HF, I don't want to have to pick out all the alt history / fantasy / sci fi / spec fic novels from the pile before I find what I actually want to read. And the people who WANT to read those things probably aren't going to look in historical fiction.

Genre labels are really only about helping your readership find you, and you find your readership. It's not about trying to cast the widest net in the hope that you get more sales by people buying your book by mistake.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
As above. I consider alt history and time travel to be entirely different from hist fic.

If you want a good example, Dancers at the End of Time takes place for a huge chunk of the book in Victorian England. It's definitely not historical fiction, despite Moorcock's attempt to portray that era with accuracy.

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
As an example, my current WIP is set in 1937 New York. I know the exact date I'm at in the story; I've looked up the weather for that day and even the phases of the Moon. I know which church my characters attend, and the address of the building where they live.

However, I'm writing a pulp action fantasy with talking gorillas in it.

I've done my research, but it's not historical fiction and I won't try to describe it as such. My audience is people who think Doc Savage is too grounded in reality, not people who want to explore life in past societies.

msd

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maybe Wikipedia is not the authority on the matter but it puts the Outlander novels in many different genres.

This is what Wikipedia says,
“A mix of several genres, the Outlander series has elements of historical fiction, romance, adventure and science fiction/fantasy.”

I still won’t call my book historical fiction, but I thought I'd share.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe Wikipedia is not the authority on the matter but it puts the Outlander novels in many different genres.

This is what Wikipedia says,
“A mix of several genres, the Outlander series has elements of historical fiction, romance, adventure and science fiction/fantasy.”

Saying it has elements of historical fiction is not the same as shelving it as historical fiction.

FYI, Amazon classifies it as historical romance, which as others have said, is a sub genre of romance, not historical fiction :)

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
And then there are the novels of Judith Merkle Riley. Historical fiction with a touch of the supernatural about them. Magical realism? I don't know. But bookstores shelve them with mainstream fiction. On Amazon, her novel The Serpent Garden (my personal favorite) is listed in Books as Historical Fiction > Tudor. Under the Kindle listing, it's Historical Fiction > Fantasy. But I don't think they were ever sold as fantasy in any other venue.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
As above. I've noticed lots of people in crit groups doing this lately--saying their MS has elements of romance so must be a crossover with romance genre, or has a bit of intrigue so must also fit into the mystery drama.

Most stories have a romantic element, but to qualify as romance you have to fit into fairly strict rules. Most stories have adventure, as another.

In outlander, the strong romantic element usually gets mentioned to signal the fact that it's sex scene heavy and has a romantic plot, but falls outside the stiff guidelines for pure romance.

Fundamentally, though, the novels/show don't work without the time travel element. It's not something that could stand in for something else. Amazon doubles up, doesn't it? I found the first season in the SFF category of their subscription service. Maybe it's changed for later seasons, not sure.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Saying it has elements of historical fiction is not the same as shelving it as historical fiction.

FYI, Amazon classifies it as historical romance

Which is ridiculous, because only the first novel in the series has anything remotely approaching the structure of a genre Romance.

I would say they're historical fiction with elements of sf (or fantasy, depending on how you view the time travel aspect).

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
Which is ridiculous, because only the first novel in the series has anything remotely approaching the structure of a genre Romance.

I would say they're historical fiction with elements of sf (or fantasy, depending on how you view the time travel aspect).

I wouldn't call them historical fiction - historical fantasy or historical romance, but if I didn't get some indication that they weren't straight HF, I'd be hella annoyed when I read them.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

Amazon plays pretty fast and loose with the definition "historical" too. I'm pretty sure I've seen fantasy novels that are set in completely secondary worlds categorized as historical as well as fantasy in their sales rank categories.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call them historical fiction - historical fantasy or historical romance, but if I didn't get some indication that they weren't straight HF, I'd be hella annoyed when I read them.

I think the flap copy makes it fairly clear: Scottish Highlands, 1945. Claire Randall, a former British combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding clans in the year of Our Lord . . . 1743. (from Amazon)

I'm not sure if that's the same as the original flap copy, but I'm pretty sure it's similar.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon plays pretty fast and loose with the definition "historical" too.

Yeah, they have their own special and not-always-consistent way of categorizing books.

Sonsofthepharaohs

Registered
Reaction score
i dont care whether the flap copy references timetravel, I still ain't calling Outlsnder HF. it gots no business bein in that genre *boots it out*

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Physical bookstores don't double-shelve their books except in VERY RARE cases. A book might be in historical OR SF, but not both.

As others noted, Amazon (and B&N online for that matter) can put a book in several categories: romance, historical, SF, fantasy (say) all at the same time.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Physical bookstores don't double-shelve their books except in VERY RARE cases.

At my store we are very happy to double shelve (double code in our own internal lingo) any book we feel isn't getting enough exposure. But I wouldn't go by our way of doing things.