Hi from a medical background

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is P.K. and I've been lurking around for a while. I've decided to become an active member, as I think I now have a grip on the ins and outs of this vibrant community.

I'm a full time surgeon and have a family.

I'm writing a SF novel in my spare time, and am thoroughly enjoying the experience.

I am happy to provide information/opinion on medical aspects of story telling :)

Cheers!

catesquire

<3<3<3
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW! What's your novel about? (Please say space surgeons, please say space surgeons.)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

P.K. Torrens

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my God! I wish I had thought of that.

There is a bit of space surgery in it, well an emergency tracheotomy anyway.

I'm not very good at pitching anything (apart from treatment to patients - hah!). It's an adventure/mystery SF story about the implications of the first people to land on Mars finding something that should not be there. The characters include a narcissistic serial-womaniser, a young woman with borderline personality disorder, whose whole life is one building that she has never left, and a librarian, who gets arrested by the secret service for sending encrypted messages that no can decode.

Oh, and the young woman is the hero of the story... not the womaniser. He's got a lot to learn.
As a guy, I've tried to write a book where only one of the main characters is a man.

Thank you for the warm welcome catesquire :)
What are you writing at the moment?

Last edited:

catesquire

<3<3<3
Registered
Reaction score
I highly approve of shifty librarians. ;)

Currently workin' on a YA historical fantasy that takes place half during the Civil Rights movement in America (MC is biracial) and half in a fantasy world a side-step away from ours. Basic premise is "what if you found another world to escape to, but all your problems followed you?"

P.K. Torrens

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Hello! Glad you've become an active member. I might need your help with the medical side of my crime novel.

No problem - Feel free to PM me or post here :)

- - - Updated - - -

I highly approve of shifty librarians. ;)

Currently workin' on a YA historical fantasy that takes place half during the Civil Rights movement in America (MC is biracial) and half in a fantasy world a side-step away from ours. Basic premise is "what if you found another world to escape to, but all your problems followed you?"

Sounds awesome!

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. You will find this community to be very supportive and informative.

relletyrots

The One Who Tells The Story
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! And your characters sound intriguing.

I take great interest in medicine, though I have not pursued it myself. Feel free to use me for technical/mathematical/physical backgrounds, since those are my areas of expertise. By the way, if I may ask, as a surgeon, what do specialize in?

Oh, and I write SciFi too. Good luck!

P.K. Torrens

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! And your characters sound intriguing.

I take great interest in medicine, though I have not pursued it myself. Feel free to use me for technical/mathematical/physical backgrounds, since those are my areas of expertise. By the way, if I may ask, as a surgeon, what do specialize in?

Oh, and I write SciFi too. Good luck!

Head and neck oncological and reconstructive surgery.

Sounds great - thank you

ktzeee

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from someone with a business background lol ;D