Social media in MG

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any MG books that feature social media? Like Insta and Twitter and FB?
I've read books with sms texts, but not social media. Google search says the age limit is like 13 for most social media stuff but I know kids lie to get onto those platforms. I wonder then if it's a no no to write about this.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Are there any MG books that feature social media? Like Insta and Twitter and FB?
I've read books with sms texts, but not social media. Google search says the age limit is like 13 for most social media stuff but I know kids lie to get onto those platforms. I wonder then if it's a no no to write about this.

There are MG books that deal with sex, drugs, suicide, you name it. I'm pretty sure kids can handle a Facebook scene.

If you've got an idea involving social media, go nuts!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's not so much a no no as what are kids actually using. From my experience/understanding Facebook and Twitter are really more for the "olds". Instagram and Snapchat are where you'll find most kids. So if you want to use social media in your book, just make sure it's the correct kind of social media. Also anything specific to technology will date a book significantly. So also just keep that in mind. Technology and platforms that are popular evolve at such a quick rate that something popular while you were writing the book might not be by the time it comes out. Not, again, that you shouldn't write it, just that we should all be aware of the challenges.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Like Toothpaste said, including social media often dates the story. Things move so quickly, especially what's new and cool with kids and teens, and writing and publishing can move very slowly. If you don't have kids of your own or are not around kids, I would try to do some research about what exactly they're currently using and how/why they're using certain platforms. I guess it depends on the story. If it's something that specifically deals with social media (for example: on-line bullying) then it makes sense to have some specifics. If it's just a general contemporary story, but social media isn't a main focal point, I would try to avoid all specifics.