Am I the only one who doesn't like Tamora Pierce's books?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I am not much of a fantasy reader, so I don't have a pony in this race, but I'd strongly prefer it if you could amend your thread title to "Tamora Pierce's books", because the appearance of hatin' on the author herself is just not cool.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I read Tamora Pierce when I want something with directness and sweetness. So when I was extremely stressed I appreciated her work lot. It's a style thing.

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
I am not much of a fantasy reader, so I don't have a pony in this race, but I'd strongly prefer it if you could amend your thread title to "Tamora Pierce's books", because the appearance of hatin' on the author herself is just not cool.

Oh, sure, fair enough.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to toss out an observation that someone else (zanjan?) made in the last thread about 'popular author and their flawed work': Writers will tend to read a piece and see what the author did wrong; readers will mostly see what the author did right.

samchapman

Registered
Reaction score
What? What? I didn't hear that?

Yeah, I realized this probably wasn't actually very productive. Sometimes when a book has a big gap between expectations and reality for me I go above and beyond the call of outrage duty. I've done the same thing with several books over the years and I always feel kind of gross afterwards. It's pretty clear this series just isn't for me and I should let it go.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I realized this probably wasn't actually very productive. Sometimes when a book has a big gap between expectations and reality for me I go above and beyond the call of outrage duty. I've done the same thing with several books over the years and I always feel kind of gross afterwards. It's pretty clear this series just isn't for me and I should let it go.

Gotcha. There are always books that, however well-loved and highly-praised by others, just don't work for you -- for any or no reason. It can be disappointing when you expected to like something other people like and you don't. But it happens. De gustibus non est disputandum. There are other books out there for you.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Always a little too cheesy for me, though having been a big fan of Dragonlance in my younger days I am not one to judge. But they filled a big need when they were written, and I still see lots of young teens who love them.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

There can be a lot of value in understanding why we bounce off works and others don't, from the perspective of mindfully improving our own craft.

As a reader, sometimes, yeah, you just have to move on. Fortunately there are a vast number of books out there -- more than any of us could read in a lifetime -- so it's good that we don't all have the same tastes or it would all become terribly dull.

I'm going to toss out an observation that someone else (zanjan?) made in the last thread about 'popular author and their flawed work': Writers will tend to read a piece and see what the author did wrong; readers will mostly see what the author did right.

Yeah, that was probably me, but I believe it was TNH who first made that observation in my hearing. Stuck with me as particularly and concisely wise on several levels.

valleycs

Registered
Reaction score
Look, I don't like all of her works either. But what she has done for YA fantasy is unbelievable. I have never seen something so honestly feminist ever since the Alanna series. There's simply nothing like it.