“The President Pence Delusion” new NewYorker article by Jane Mayer

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Yorker: The Danger of President Pence
This article appears in other versions of the October 23, 2017, issue, with the headline “The President Pence Delusion.” ...

Trump’s critics yearn for his exit. But Mike Pence, the corporate right’s inside man, poses his own risks....

Pence has taken care to appear extraordinarily loyal to Trump, so much so that Joel K. Goldstein, a historian and an expert on Vice-Presidents who teaches law at St. Louis University, refers to him as the “Sycophant-in-Chief.” But Pence has the political experience, the connections, the discipline, and the ideological mooring that Trump lacks. He also has a close relationship with the conservative billionaire donors who have captured the Republican Party’s agenda in recent years.
Pence is all about the Kochs and the Mercers, their money and Pence's Evangelical fanaticism.

When Trump gave his acceptance speech, in the ballroom of the Hilton Hotel in midtown Manhattan, he vowed to serve “the forgotten men and women of our country,” and promised to “rebuild our highways, bridges, tunnels, airports, schools, and hospitals.” Upstairs, in a room reserved for Party élites, several of the richest and most conservative donors, all of whom support drastic reductions in government spending, were celebrating. Doug Deason, a Texas businessman and a political donor, recalled to me, “It was amazing. In the V.I.P. reception area, there was an even more V.I.P. room, and I counted at least eight or nine billionaires.”

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse, a Democrat from Rhode Island, who has accused the Kochs of buying undue influence, particularly on environmental policy—Koch Industries has a long history of pollution—is less enthusiastic about their alliance with Pence. “If Pence were to become President for any reason, the government would be run by the Koch brothers—period. He’s been their tool for years,” he said. Bannon is equally alarmed at the prospect of a Pence Presidency. He told me, “I’m concerned he’d be a President that the Kochs would own.”

Pence is not out of the woods when it comes to obstruction of justice.
Pence soon delivered a series of misleading statements about Flynn. On January 15th, as questions about Russian manipulation of the election were mounting, Pence went on CBS and assured the public that, during the transition, Flynn had not discussed the topic of sanctions with the Russian Ambassador. But then the Washington Post reported that the Justice Department had wiretaps of Flynn doing just that. The Justice Department had informed the White House counsel about this well before Pence made his statement. On February 13th, Trump fired Flynn, ostensibly for deceiving Pence, who looked like either a liar or a chump.

Three months later, Trump fired James Comey, the F.B.I. director, who had opened the federal investigation into the Trump campaign’s Russian ties. Pence declared that Comey’s firing had nothing to do with Trump’s displeasure at the Russia investigation. Trump, he said, had merely followed the Justice Department’s recommendation. But Trump contradicted Pence within hours, telling NBC’s Lester Holt that his anger over the Russia probe led him to dismiss Comey. Further damaging Pence’s credibility, the Times revealed that, before Comey’s dismissal, Pence had attended a White House meeting where Trump discussed his intention to fire Comey and devised a plan to get the Justice Department to support the move.

Jane Mayer wrote the excellent, well researched and well written best seller, Dark Money, exposing all the billionaires with their paid for influence in the federal government. This exposé is as excellent as her other work

I've been listening to Fresh Air interview with Jane Mayer on her Pence article. (You may need to find the 10-18-17 program.) Scary stuff.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In it, Pence’s anti-LGBTQ stance is highlighted, as well as a joke made by Trump to a legal scholar that the scholar shouldn’t ask Pence about gay rights because Pence wants to “hang them all.”

And DJT still picked him to be VP, so don't anyone say DJT isn't anti-gay.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
The thing about Pence, though, is that nobody really likes him that much. Trump may be despised, but the people who like him are true believers. I think Trump would have a better chance of being reelected than Pence.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The difference between Pence and Trump is that Pence would be a predictable horror. Which is a significant reason for Republicans to want to replace Trump with him. If the GOP takes it in the shorts in the 2018 by-election, there will be some changes of public attitude among them on this matter.

caw

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I heard the interview on NPR; it was good. The way I see it, Trump picked Pence in order to hold onto the conservative vote.

There are many conservatives who are appalled at Trump's behavior, but voted for him anyway because of Pence's pro-life stance. For some conservative voters, this is the only issue that matters. These conservatives are most concerned about who will be appointed to the Supreme Court. They are praying (literally) Roe v. Wade will be overturned. In voting for Trump, they have proved they will vote for any person who will move them toward that goal.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The thing about Pence, though, is that nobody really likes him that much. Trump may be despised, but the people who like him are true believers. I think Trump would have a better chance of being reelected than Pence.

If you look at major opinion polls, Pence is by a good margin more popular than Trump is.

caw