My very first ever beta feedback was...positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_Shalayek

Registered
Reaction score
After submitting a portion of my novel to a bunch of lovely betas, I started thinking about how awful my book was. And today, I finally got my first bit of feedback. This beta reader was awesome and very thorough, but overall the feedback was very positive and she loved my work! On one side, I feel, well...like any human would. I feel great! But on the other side, I'm also trying to make my book as good as possible, and I'm really looking for all of the negative things that I can make better.

Anyway, I just feel really good right now :hooray: I'm glad this beta gave me a nice boost of confidence to continue, and here's to hoping my other beta readers tear me a new one!

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
After submitting a portion of my novel to a bunch of lovely betas, I started thinking about how awful my book was. And today, I finally got my first bit of feedback. This beta reader was awesome and very thorough, but overall the feedback was very positive and she loved my work! On one side, I feel, well...like any human would. I feel great! But on the other side, I'm also trying to make my book as good as possible, and I'm really looking for all of the negative things that I can make better.

Anyway, I just feel really good right now :hooray: I'm glad this beta gave me a nice boost of confidence to continue, and here's to hoping my other beta readers tear me a new one!

Congrats on the positive response from a beta reader! That's a good sign, and while constructive criticism is helpful, IMO we also need to know when we're going in the right direction, or what's working. You'll probably get plenty of feedback on what to change from other betas, so just take the encouragement from this. It's a good way to start.

Good luck!

CJ

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice Shalyek!

How did you find your beta readers?

I'm in the editing stage of my MS and was wondering what the best way was (apart from friends and the beta readers sub forum)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I'd enjoy the moment. There's nothing wrong with getting a largely positive beta read, as long as the feedback is actually useful. A good beta read doesn't have to rip your novel to shreds and make you feel like it was a mistake to write it. However, if the beta read you got, while uplifting, is basically "I loved everything! Don't change a thing, it's perfect as is!" then... yeah, you might have gotten a similar sentiment just letting your parents or close friends read the book.

Just remember that constructive criticism doesn't have to feel awful. That's more a case of the way the beta reader is couching their comments than anything else. One person can make you feel awful by saying "These characters suck, you do characterization badly," while another beta reader can make you feel great, saying "I love the commitment to justice that you're trying to convey in these characters, but I think you can make it stronger by having it reflect more clearly in their actions," and then provide some examples where this would work.

Both of them are saying essentially the same thing, but doing it in ways that make you respond and react very differently. If you feel like you're smarting because a beta reader seems to be going out of their way to make you feel bad personally, that's a big problem, more for your beta reader than you. If you're smarting because something you thought was flawless has been diplomatically pointed out to have issues that could be worked on... that's just you being a writer and learning that you can still improve.

stiiiiiv

Awww nuts!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Psychologists say we need about six affirming comments in order to taking a critical one in stride without getting all down and out, so here's to you getting five more positive comments.

Steve

D_Shalayek

Registered
Reaction score
Nice Shalyek!

How did you find your beta readers?

I'm in the editing stage of my MS and was wondering what the best way was (apart from friends and the beta readers sub forum)

Hi, and sorry I haven't been on in a little while so I am just seeing your post. There is a Facebook group called Beta Readers & Critiques, and I picked up a few Beta readers there.

I have received feedback from others since my first, and none of them wrote anything like, "Don't quit your day job," so I'm still pretty stoked. A few of my readers have given fantastic feedback and pointed out a lot of problems that I would have never caught otherwise. It's real easy to get wrapped up in your work, so having an outside reader really helps.

I'd enjoy the moment. There's nothing wrong with getting a largely positive beta read, as long as the feedback is actually useful. A good beta read doesn't have to rip your novel to shreds and make you feel like it was a mistake to write it. However, if the beta read you got, while uplifting, is basically "I loved everything! Don't change a thing, it's perfect as is!" then... yeah, you might have gotten a similar sentiment just letting your parents or close friends read the book.

Just remember that constructive criticism doesn't have to feel awful. That's more a case of the way the beta reader is couching their comments than anything else. One person can make you feel awful by saying "These characters suck, you do characterization badly," while another beta reader can make you feel great, saying "I love the commitment to justice that you're trying to convey in these characters, but I think you can make it stronger by having it reflect more clearly in their actions," and then provide some examples where this would work.

Both of them are saying essentially the same thing, but doing it in ways that make you respond and react very differently. If you feel like you're smarting because a beta reader seems to be going out of their way to make you feel bad personally, that's a big problem, more for your beta reader than you. If you're smarting because something you thought was flawless has been diplomatically pointed out to have issues that could be worked on... that's just you being a writer and learning that you can still improve.

Thank you for posting this. I feel the same way, and I couldn't have written it better myself. Even the positive first one pointed out a few things I would have never caught, and it was one reason I considered it successful feedback.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Psychologists say we need about six affirming comments in order to taking a critical one in stride without getting all down and out, so here's to you getting five more positive comments.

Steve
That seems unlikely. That seems tremendously unlikely. Are you sure you haven't oversimplified it?

Akkeri

Registered
Reaction score
What's a good book in the first place? Each time I read Dan Brown's work, my literary radar keeps nudging me in each page. There's so much gibberish and unfit structures and forms inside. Yet, it's so gripping, so witty and so creative. Just do your best to keep your writing interesting and gripping. You'll probably never win the hearts of all readers; but you may have many faithful ones.

WildcatJim2112

Registered
Reaction score
You have to take beta readers with a grain of salt. I want them to point out the obvious stuff that I missed. For example, in one scene I had my MC shooting his Glock empty and he didn't know he was out of ammo until he pulled the trigger again and it clicked. One beta reader pointed out that the slide on a Glock locks open so there is no empty click. Duh.

If they point out style or voice issues, then it's up to you to make the determination if you want to change anything. If multiple beta readers point out the same style/voice issues, then you've got a problem.

If you get a good one, they point out the stuff they loved as well as the flaws they see. Sounds like you got a pretty good one last round. Good luck!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's great that your first experience was positive. Congrats!

I wish I could say the same. My first real beta reader told me, basically, that I didn't know what I was doing and that my piece was AWFUL. : (

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first real beta reader told me, basically, that I didn't know what I was doing and that my piece was AWFUL. : (
In that case, I think your beta-reader did an awful job :(

D_Shalayek

Registered
Reaction score
What's a good book in the first place? Each time I read Dan Brown's work, my literary radar keeps nudging me in each page. There's so much gibberish and unfit structures and forms inside. Yet, it's so gripping, so witty and so creative. Just do your best to keep your writing interesting and gripping. You'll probably never win the hearts of all readers; but you may have many faithful ones.

That's all I hope for. I think my writing style is niche, and one beta reader even commented that she has never read anything like my book before, but I don't have any delusions that it will gain a mass audience. I'm really just writing it because it's a story I want to tell. I'm doing it for me, and if it gains a following, awesome. If not, whatever. That said, I do value the opinions of others, because it helps me to write the best version of this story that I can.
That's great that your first experience was positive. Congrats!

I wish I could say the same. My first real beta reader told me, basically, that I didn't know what I was doing and that my piece was AWFUL. : (

That's just mean. I'm try to imagine that I would say something like, "Thank you for your feedback," and just move on with my life, but little things tend to eat at my soul for a while. It takes an awesome mindset to find the strength to continue after a blow like that, and I imagine that since you're here, you have. Hats off to you.

BLMN

Registered
Reaction score
What on earth is a beta reader?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What on earth is a beta reader?
Allow me to point you this way

ETA: tl:dr
You have a complete ms. You have edited and revised and polished it. Individual chapters may have been critiqued, and you are ready for a thorough read-through with comments from an experienced and trusted reader.

Slaven

Wetting my feet get
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, just write another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.