DNS not responding

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I am in desperate need of help.

Almost a week ago, my internet started acting up. I usually connect via a public connection as it's my only option where I live at the moment. (Waiting to get new service installed, hopefully at the end of the month.) Now, when I log on, it shows that my computer is connected to the network with "limited" access. Diagnostics show that the DNS server isn't responding.

I tried my desktop, my laptop, a relative's laptop, my tablet, my phone - nothing can connect for more than half a second before the connection terminates and the server stops responding.

I've tried everything I know to fix it. I've dumped the cookies, turned off the firewall, ditched my anti-virus, gone through the "ipconfig" chain to purge the DNS, rolled back, restarted, rebooted, etc. Nothing's making a difference. Since it's on all devices, I have to assume it's not on my end, but I don't have an ISP provider to contact.

I checked the network and it looks like someone else in the neighborhood has hooked up a "Dish TV Hopper" system with 3 boxes to the public connection. Is it possible that their TV is keeping everyone else off the connection? (there are millions of data packets coming in, vs. 20,000 or so going out) Or is it more likely that the server is just down?

I'm using my cousin's internet to post this, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to see responses for a few days, but any help is appreciated.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
When you say "Public" do you mean a network provided by the city or . . . ?

And yes, I suspect that the Dish TV Hopper is clogging the network.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's the network used by the city. We're a tiny rural town. If you go into a fast food place, this is how you get online. Public / unsecured access.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Oh - I already tried switching to google's server. I guess the block must be between the connection and the server, so it probably IS that new TV connection. I doubt they realize they've bogarted the whole connection.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
> I guess the block must be between the connection and the
> server, so it probably IS that new TV connection.

It could be that this guy sucks up the bandwidth by binge-watching Game of Thrones in 4K. Or he could just turn off the TV and leaves his receiver on all the time, which would have the same effect.

-cb

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a feeling that it's the receiver causing the problem now. The 3 hopper boxes are no longer showing on the network, so they probably can't get stable service. My guess is that they've disconnected the boxes, but still have the service so the reciever's still on until the month runs out.