• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Please help me with smells

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He was likely there when there'd been a massive fish kill/die off. That happens all over the world.
Probably. I'll have to ask his uncle.

:crazy:
Interesting... I have a scene in my novel where the character visits an embalming house (it's set in ancient Egypt) and he says he can't get the smell out of his hair or his nostrils for days. Glad I wasn't over exaggerating! He doesn't have an appetite that night, but I didn't expicitly link the two. I can imagine that smell would definitely put you off food though, gross. I don't know how anyone could work in that environment. I'd be retching my guts up.

Awww, I never would have thought bears stink! They look so adorable! I guess the same goes for raccoons, as they rummage round in dustbins. The equivalent urban pest over here is the fox - and they really do hum. When I lived in Bearwood (ironic!) they used to roam the streets like gangs, and as my house was a Victoria terrace my window was very close to the road - I couldn't leave my bedroom window open because the stink when they gathered in the street used to wake me up! It's like the smell of a split rubbish bag full of rotting flesh smothered in shit. Horrible beasts.
It's funny because I'm a nurse and I've seen lot's of necrotic wounds, majorly infected wounds, flesh eating, just really nasty nasty things and I could change a dressing and go to the cafeteria and have lunch no problem, working on pediatrics our noses could diagnose roto before the stool sample every came back...and any of my fellow nurses here will vouch for that :) But that autopsy took me a very long time to get over. My father was a dive master for OPP and recovered many bodies that were severly bloated and the officer that day said my autopsy was a clean good one. He said when the Dr puts vicks under his nose you know its bad.
Raccoons are def like bears, they will eat anything, scavengers. Bears will eat rotting food, it's just nasty. When we are at camp and take the garbage to the dump we love to watch the bears dive in to the bags. It makes for great entertainment :)

I've not been that close to a bear, but a friend of mine went out with a scientist one winter and went in an actual den (they didn't disturb the bears, they were counting or something science-y all proper and to not harm or disturb or leave human traces) and said bears are seriously stinky.
Seriously stinky is correct!

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
What is ungodly stinky about skunks is that they have developed powerful glands to spray an acidic, sulfuric mix of stuff as a defense mechanism. You can smell a skunk at a long distance if one is around. Skunks are members of the weasel family, and virtually all weasels have a distinctive aroma, but skunks have developed it to an art form.

caw

I think from watching American TV (seriously, you have no idea how much US TV is piped into our brains here) every Brit knows WHAT they are, and what they do, but we've just never smelled one to actually get the experience. I don't think any explanation of the smell will ever convey it accurately - which is kinda why this thread is so fascinating.

Apparently you UKers have been blessed with someone bringing back American skunk cabbage to your shores. It's apparently an invasive species there. If you walk in boglands, you might have seen/smelled it. It's not AS strong as a real skunk, but the odor is pretty similar. (I also think it's similar to the smell of pot, which is very skunk-y to me.) Here's a link. See if you recognize it.

Nope, never seen that. But I'm getting a good idea why a certain very strong strain of weed is called skunk ;)

that autopsy took me a very long time to get over. My father was a dive master for OPP and recovered many bodies that were severly bloated and the officer that day said my autopsy was a clean good one. He said when the Dr puts vicks under his nose you know its bad.

I always think of that scene in Silence of the Lambs where she puts vicks on her lip because it's so stinky. I definitely could not cope with that. I also have a little nod to that in my novel - the MC mentally wonders how the embalmer can stand the smell, and why he doesn't just shove incense up his nose permanently, lol

The Otter

Friendly Neighborhood Mustelid
Registered
Reaction score
In the room next to the noisy ice machine, for all
I've always been partial to the smell of fresh, hot plastic.

At Brookfield Zoo, where I often went as a kid, they have these machines. You put in coins and it makes a little souvenir plastic animal from a mold. The smell was always very potent and distinctive.

Other weird smells I like: dry dog food, horse manure (or maybe just that general "stable" smell, which is a mixture of manure and hay and horses themselves).

I can't stand the smell of ketchup. I like the taste but often when a plate with leftover ketchup on it has been sitting out it develops this really overpowering vinegary smell that grosses me out.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
And dog feet smell like corn chips. That is a known, indisputable fact. :D

My dog's toes smell like cheese to me, I call them his 'cheesy toe beans'. My partner can't really smell it, I'll have to ask him tonight to compare them to tortilla chips and see what he thinks.

In the UK we have crisps called skips that are "prawn cocktail " flavour... they have a sour, ketchupy, fishy kind of smell that fills a room
*gags*

Prawn cocktail crisps taste and smell very distinct to me: nothing like actual seafood, or ketchup, just a strong artificial 'fake prawn' flavour I only find in crisps. It's like that fake bacon taste, or artificial strawberry flavour, or the legendary 'blue raspberry': all these flavours are distinct, chemical-tasting, wonderful memories. They taste like sugar and bright blues or reds. They don't taste a jot like something natural, but they're still powerful and evocative.

Strawberries, for me, are generally lovely and sweet but the freshness level creates a big difference. Off-season strawberries are watery, fresh strawberries from the local farm in-reason are very sweet and strong, and the strawberries in my back garden are a whole range of levels depending on when I decided to pick them. I tend to pick them as they ripen, so I get a lot of variety.

The path I walk my dog on is covered in brambles, a Scottish name for blackberry bushes. On the summer nights, they're sharp and sweet in equal measures. But they never taste as sweet and juicy as when I'm tired and it's getting dark and I'm picking them in the pouring rain to get me through the hour-long dog walk.

Ullapool harbour, a small port in the remote and windy north, smells like fish and really strong sea-salt. It's overpowering, and always catches me off-guard because it's not a fishing harbour, it's all about people carrying. It smells like how you imagine grey seals smell, wet and fishy and wild, and you'll see plenty of those bobbing in the water, fishing in the wake of the ferries. It also smells powerfully of the ferry boats that use it, this heavy smell in the air of rain-soaked metal ships and their exhaust fumes.

Sambuca tastes like liquorice and ohgodI'mgagginginstantly because after one night of Sambuca and Baileys, Sambuca always tastes like regret and vomit. I don't do Sambuca shots, now, because a single shot means I need to go somewhere cold and windy and contemplate the mistakes of my teenage years until the nausea goes away.

A clean ferret smells warm and musky and cuddly. It's a strong masculine scent (but it's far more pleasant and balanced in the females) like the aftershave dad would put on before heading to an important work meeting.

Their litter has the cat-litter problem: it's too much, acrid and sharp, biting the back of your nose. You want to lock it away in a room. Preferably a room with all the windows open.

Musty laundry is an odd one. It smells 'foosty', is the way I always describe it, and that's a very Scottish concept that's hard to put into other words: it's when something is dusty or musty, forgotten, either a little too damp or a little bit mouldy. It's not a word you use for deliberate mess, just things forgotten, like bread left too long in its bag on the counter or a very old wool coat in a closed-down charity shop.

Truthfully, I have a bad nose and a bad palette, so a lot of my senses of smell are more about memories and feelings. I can tell you that rooibos vanilla smells like sponge cake and home baking, but really it feels like warmth and comfort on a cold autumn night, when I'm trying to warm my hands without putting the central heating on. It tastes like knowing it's too late to have a sweet, but needing that comfort.

Camomile & spiced apple tastes like exciting phonecalls and nervously drumming my feet on the floor, clutching the mug like a comfort blanket. Gingerbread green tea feels like my buddy in England looking out for me and cheering me on, because it's her favourite drink. Homemade frappucino iced coffees feels like a gym session done well and my partner getting me a cold drink while I flop on the couch, and it tastes like coffee with all the sharp bitterness sanded away. It tastes like me learning, slowly, that coffee is an alright drink and ​oh, so that's why people like it.

...This thread is really fun, y'know that? It's so enjoyable just thinking about all these things.

Last edited:

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Prawn cocktail crisps taste and smell very distinct to me: nothing like actual seafood, or ketchup, just a strong artificial 'fake prawn' flavour I only find in crisps. It's like that fake bacon taste, or artificial strawberry flavour, or the legendary 'blue raspberry': all these flavours are distinct, chemical-tasting, wonderful memories.

The path I walk my dog on is covered in brambles, a Scottish name for blackberry bushes. O
You're right it's definitley highly synthetic prawn.
We call them brambles here too :)

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
The path I walk my dog on is covered in brambles, a Scottish name for blackberry bushes.

Nah, you Scots don't got bragging rights on brambles.

In fact...

"Old English bræmbel, brǣmel, of Germanic origin; related to broom"

Ha! stick that in yer bagpipes n smoke it, ya gurt haggis munchin numpty :wag:

Musty laundry is an odd one. It smells 'foosty', is the way I always describe it, and that's a very Scottish concept that's hard to put into other words:

Newp. We gots 'fusty' too - as in, piss off, ya fusty ferret fancier!

...This thread is really fun, y'know that? It's so enjoyable just thinking about all these things.

It IS enjoyable, isn't it? :greenie

Last edited by a moderator:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Darn it, Kalli, ALL OF MY WORDS ARE BEING STOLEN.

For real though, I had no idea those words weren't Scottish, thank you magic Egyptian book queen. ❤️

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
We have fusty too.

The Sambuca thing I get but I still want to know about smells changing and if it's related to digestibility. I want a study. Don't we have biologists here? Rox!

Do milk products smell different to people who don't produce lactase, or do lactose intolerant people just not produce enough?

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Do milk products smell different to people who don't produce lactase, or do lactose intolerant people just not produce enough?

I haven't noticed a change to the scents of milk and cheese since I became lactose intolerant.

We sometimes call blackberry bushes brambles here, too. Sorry, EMaree! As a kid, we mostly called them sticker-bushes.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't noticed a change to the scents of milk and cheese since I became lactose intolerant.

We sometimes call blackberry bushes brambles here, too. Sorry, EMaree! As a kid, we mostly called them sticker-bushes.

Hmmm... though it took years and years for the chicken thing to happen.

This is why we need a proper study!