Hardboiled to Cyberpunk, and beyond?

hayaku

Registered
Reaction score
I've written a 120,000 word post-cyberpunk MS that I cant wait to share when the post count lets me :D
Till then, I have some rather interesting observations (theories?) to share about the genre, and its possible history.

Full disclosure, I am into Neuroscience as my primary career, so everything will inevitably filter through that.

As best as I can tell: Hardboiled is about PTSD. It is about a generation of WW1/WW2 veterans picking up the pulp they so unconsciously resonated with; being that of the fallen Alpha male, finding their place among the social order in a world they hardly understand, while combating a litany of unresolved personality flaws (alcoholism being the most prominent). It is little wonder that the progenitors of this genre (Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammett) write to this Archetype; while seemingly occupying it themselves.

Flash forwards a few decades, and William Gibson writes Neuromancer. Full Disclosure #2: this is probably my favourite book of all time :)

Gibson was a Vietnam draft dodger, hanging out illegally in Canada, living a very tortured existence on the fringes of society and getting by however he could. Drugs seemed to play a large part in his life.
Neuromancer draws very heavily form the Hardboiled/Noir genre to get its specific tone of social isolation; but here the precise cause of the 'alienation' is different: Noir deals with neurodegeneration (Amygdala and Hippocampus) and the associated personality changes involved in that, while Cyberpunk seems to be more psychosocial--if not neurochemical in nature. In other words: Paranoia about globalisation meets paranoia from too much LSD.

Why do I bother writing all this?

As you can tell, I love Neuromancer, so anything I ever wrote was always going to be in that work's shadow. But to miss to context, and to miss the specific history is to also miss the wave, and re-write something already written, to recycle the past and to become obscure before putting pen to figurative paper.

If my theory is worth anything, Hardboiled/Cyberpunk as a kind of phenomenon will perpetually exist; but will shift rather violently in tone and flavour as the social setting shifts too. So much so that the links between them might seem glaringly inobvious. So being authentic might paradoxically involve being thoroughly creative; and capturing the zeitgeist of the times, projected into the future, as it currently feels relevant. As such, it may even involve abandoning the stereotypical 'Cyberpunk' tone quite dramatically?

Just an interesting idea. I tried writing Cyberpunk, but ended up with something much closer to this ^^^

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
A really good way to get your post count up is to critique other people's work. Doing that will give you a much better insight into your own work.

You've mentioned Gibson's Neuromancer three times and spelt it incorrectly in three different ways. Also you've presented a hypothesis, not a theory.

hayaku

Registered
Reaction score
Aaah, thanks for the typo spot. It's been a long day.

I'd happily critique other's work, but it seems the "Share Your Work" section is password protected?

Eilyfe

Registered
Reaction score
The password is written in the description under that particular sub-forum's title.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I think cyberpunk, like any genre, will have general tropes that define it and make it recognizably one sub-genre versus another, but of course, the fashions and sensibilities of the time are going to put tweaks and twists on those tropes. People are still writing high fantasy even today, they're just not the same kind of high fantasy that Tolkien blazed the trails for. In the same way, I think cyberpunk is always going to maintain a certain amount of relevancy in science fiction, it's just some of the specifics that will change.

Gibson is also a major influential figure for me, and Neuromancer is also a formative book for me as a writer, to the point that the novel that my agent currently has on submission is a cyberpunk story that still shows off traces of the Neuromancer legacy. But while some things about cyberpunk remain general concerns, such as the unpredictable consequences of simple, but high-tech tools being accessible to everyone, or the rising influence of corporate power over politics, some specific things will change based on the times. Gibson, for example, still openly rues the fact that he completely missed cellular communication technology in his sprawl trilogy, which is why there are still phone booths, and none of his characters have cellular phones. These days, I think more cyberpunk is willing to look at the effects of social media and "crowd source" procedures and other emerging tech, in addition to the usual concerns about cyberspace, VR, and corporate hijinks.

hayaku

Registered
Reaction score
These days, I think more cyberpunk is willing to look at the effects of social media and "crowd source" procedures and other emerging tech, in addition to the usual concerns about cyberspace, VR, and corporate hijinks.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. In my own work: it seemed to flow more towards the consequences of widespread home-manufacturing technology (ie, printing) and the permissions systems necessary to regulate access to schematics and designs. Also, the balance of individual will/agency against that of a consuming, Oedipal mother-like computational algorithm, and the human temptation to abandon the struggles of individuality over to the 'consciousness of the herd'.

By the time it was finished, the tone was waaaaaay off Gibson. Hence this post :)

Cynical paranoia and human survival against the grinding machine... becomes more, aaah, Zen Buddhist? Psychedelic Existentialist?
Actually ended up much closer to that of the Discworld series, strangely enough. Hope and despair equally balanced, amidst a backdrop of sheer surreality. I really hope that it works.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you really struck off in your own direction. My own work is still pretty recognizably Gibsonian in a lot of respects, but I was really more focused on the mechanics of pulling off a fun heist than exploring the sociological ramifications of the technology and widespread adoption by the public.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd happily critique other's work, but it seems the "Share Your Work" section is password protected?
The password is vista.

Can't remember if I've said Welcome yet, but Welcome :)

Last edited:

hayaku

Registered
Reaction score
My own work is still pretty recognizably Gibsonian in a lot of respects

Aaah, I really envy you :(

When I first read Neuromancer, my right hand was shaking, I was so captivated.
I had just spent a year living in Chiba (I'm not even joking) working night shift at a hotel. So the themes... well. Near death experience was probably the closest I can describe it.

I could never capture that feeling when I write though. A working holiday in Japan felt more like a trip to westworld--than a pit at the bottom of hell in which I'd found myself trapped. So there goes that :tongue