Language Learning

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
So, who else is learning a language?

I started learning Brazilian Portuguese today. It's definitely challenging; I don't have an ear for Romance languages and my smattering of Latin knowledge isn't really enough to be useful.

My method is to start with DuoLingo for the basics. I've never used it before, and so far it's not bad. The gamification definitely appeals to me, and the "tree" is a lot more extensive than I expected. I have heard the app is dumbed down compared to the browser version though, which is disappointing.

I am keeping a BuJo style notebook for this too so it'll be part journal, part dictionary, part general resource.

Current goal is to commit to one hour of practice/immersion every day.

I also want to start learning more about the culture, history etc too at some point.

Anyway, fellow language learners of AW, what are you learning, how are you learning it, and what kind of experiences and challenges have you had so far?

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
I love Duolingo! I'm learning French right now. For me, it's the sentence structure and grammar that gets me. I can memorize words and phrases and I can read basic French just fine, but when I have to piece everything together myself to make sentences it feels like there are so many rules to remember. Ah, c'est difficile!

Also, hats off for trying out Portuguese. I downloaded it once on Duolingo and quit immediately. It's hard!

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Also doing Duolingo--German for me. Actually in Germany at the moment, and at least have learned enough to say "I don't speak German."

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Objectively Spanish would be more useful for my job, but I'm much closer to the Brazilians I work with--a few of them I consider to be work friends, at least. My interest in learning Portuguese comes from that. I think they'll all be pretty excited even if I'm terrible at it lol. It's kind of a respect thing for me, I'm weird like that.

Marlys, I took 4 years of German in high school, I plan to refresh it once I'm comfortable with Portuguese. I do remember a song my teacher taught us, you might find it amusing. Sung to the tune of "She's Coming Round the Mountain When She Comes":

Ich bin Auslander und sprechen nicht gut Deutsch,
Ich bin Auslander und sprechen nicht gut Deutsch,
Bitte langsam,
Bitte langsam,
Bitte sie doch sprechen langsam,
Ich bin Auslander und sprechen nicht gut Deutsch!

I learned German originally because one side of my family is from there, but far enough removed that no one speaks the language and no cultural traditions remain. I haven't completely forgotten it, but I'll definitely need to put the work in to get it back.

In addition to DuoLingo I also have Memrise installed for after I've completed the DuoLingo tree. I've also heard Anki is extremely useful but I haven't checked it out yet.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I know a fair enough of Japanese to roll with conversations and have a good time with folks from years of study. But any further learning is on hold because I find it hard to tackle language learning when I'm not immersed in the language outside of my control. I've got discipline, but without purpose knocking on my door I find it hard to study. My three month trip to Japan brought my skill with the language to skyrocket.

For that matter I should probably take up Spanish, at least the most common 1000 words and stock phrases to get by. Pretty common in my area.

I'd like to learn French, Korean, German, and a few other languages as well.

Anki is pretty much a basic flashcard app. It's nice if you like to blaze through flashcards, but I prefer Memrise's game-style system more to the downside that it is slower. For me, Anki is great for review, Memrise is better for learning fresh.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I just checked out Duolingo since forever and saw they have High Valyrian. :roll:

I know the language was made specifically for the show, but that's pretty cool.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Great song, DragonHeart! Got to use my "I don't speak German" (Ich spreche kein Deutsch) tonight, and I'm pretty sure the person I said it to complimented me on my accent. But I'm not positive, because ich spreche kein Deutsch.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Got my hour of DuoLingo in today. I "bought" one of the extra lessons and quickly figured out it was way above my level lol. Kinda wish they would rank the difficulty of those.

I also checked out the website instead of the app and wow, I see what people mean. All of the grammar tips and notes I missed. =/ I almost feel like I need to start over completely from scratch to properly absorb it all. Now I realize why it seemed like I was progressing really fast, after 2 days I'm on level 6. The other part of it is that I'm actually recognizing quite a few words based on my general knowledge and the tiny bits of other languages I already know. Like I could not for the life of me figure out cachorro (dog), but I got lobo (wolf) straight away.

Now I'm kind of wondering how other people do the lessons. I just go straight through them one after another, because they're all really short and I usually get most of it on the first try. If I feel like I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed I'll go back and do some of the previous lessons to build my confidence back up and try again.

On a whim I also decided to dedicate a new journal entirely to my Portuguese studies. I mean, I set one up already, but I don't like it. What can I say I'm picky. I'll use it for now until the new one gets here on Wednesday. I got a hardcover, lined journal in green, to match the flag of course. :p Also made sure it's a little bit bigger than my bullet journal, as I quickly realized I don't like that particular size. I'd love to decorate it somehow but aside from something super cliche like soccer stickers, I'm not really sure what to do with it. I'm not visually artistic like that.

I'll definitely be listening closely at work tomorrow! I'm not going to try talking or anything just yet but maybe I can actually make out some of what's being said. I'm sure actually hearing native speakers talking will help me a lot, even if they talk too fast for my untuned ears.

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I use the website and like it a lot better. I'm not sure how many extra "paid" lessons Portuguese has, but French only offers two of them (Flirting and Idioms) and I've bought both and don't know what to do with all my lingots now.

DragonHeart, have you seen the feature on the website (it's still in beta I believe) where you can read stories in Portuguese? They offer it in various levels of difficulty. I haven't tried it yet because they only have Portuguese and Spanish, and I'm learning French, but it looks like a neat idea.

Marlys, much luck in your German endeavors!

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I only use the phone app so I can use my headphones as my PC headset is having an issue I can't seem to fix. I find it easier to focus that way, fewer distractions.

Portuguese has the same two bonuses, I'd wager it's the same for most if not all languages. There's space for more so I wonder if they'll be releasing new ones in the future. I think I have enough to 'buy' the second one now but I figured it's probably like the other one and too high a level for me right now.

I haven't seen the beta feature yet but that sounds pretty nice. I'll probably check it out at some point and let you know how it is. I really don't have that many problems with reading aside from my lack of vocabulary, it's the pronunciations that are killing me right now. I had the same problem when I took Spanish ages and ages ago. It would be nice if they had something similar in audio format.

I got my hour in yesterday and almost an hour in today. Today's set of lessons was very long and I got interrupted by a phone call partway through. I figure I'll make up for it a little bit tonight. My new journal should be arriving today so I can start setting it up. I think I'll legit just sit here with the website up for the grammar notes and use the app for the actual lessons. Either way I'm going to probably go through every single lesson again. I wouldn't call it a setback, but it kinda makes me feel like it was wasted effort. On the other hand, that's a lot of reinforcement and extra practice which can't be a bad thing.

I am trying to actively listen to the Brazilians I work with but they all talk way too fast for me lol.

I'm also trying to decide when to start talking to them--I don't want to sound pretentious or anything. I've read after about 10 hours of study is a good time to start, I feel like I might have at least some conversational basics down by then. I made sure I have the important one, anyway: "I don't understand" lol. I don't think they'll really give me a hard time about it though. I bet they'll be really surprised since literally all of our bilingual office staff speak English and Spanish except one, and that's because she's a Brazilian too.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
One thing that can really help if you're learning a living language is to listen to/watch dubbed films or tv programs that you already are familiar with. Those with actors speaking the other language dubbed over the original language.

Listen to them more than once.

Kid's shows are also helpful for basic syntax and vocabulary; your brain will start noticing and learning patterns. We're built that way.

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I've definitely heard that too, in fact Peppa Pig is often recommended as a show to start with. I need to dig it up after work but I also found some resources for accurate subtitles you can download for media you already have for the purpose of language learning. I've been spending a lot of time in the reddit language communities lol.

Listening to my drivers, I've made, not exactly a breakthrough, but a realization. The first issue I have with listening to them is that there's often a lot of Spanish being spoken in the dispatch room at the same time and the languages are similar enough that I can't filter it. It just throws me right off, I can't concentrate on the Portuguese at all. I made out maybe 3 words in a conversation yesterday.

On the other hand, in a conversation between different drivers later that day (and no background Spanish) I found I could actually follow them, I just don't know enough words yet. But I was able to figure out what they were talking about in context even if I only got maybe 1 word in 10. It might also be a dialect thing? One of them specifically I seem to understand better than anyone else. I plan to ask him to practice with me later on.

Notebook is arriving today, not yesterday. For some reason I thought yesterday was Wednesday. I'm thinking about making a study station outside of my office where I'll keep all of my study materials, with a "no non-referential English allowed" rule in that specific space.

Cindy Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
I know a bit of Latin (actually just enough to figure out some semi-legal phrases). If I can figure out what language is closest to it I might just think about learning it - possibly Italian?

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
The general consensus is that a Latin base helps, but modern Romance languages have diverged enough from it that they're more similar to each other. Pick whichever one you're the most interested in and start there. I would say either pick a language that has a lot of cultural interest or relevance to you, or one you might find useful for your job/daily life.

Got my hour in today. I am kinda blitzing through the lessons a little bit but I think I'm going to put a lot of time into studying this weekend once I have my new journal. It was delayed and won't be here until today.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I know a bit of Latin (actually just enough to figure out some semi-legal phrases). If I can figure out what language is closest to it I might just think about learning it - possibly Italian?

Latin actually will help with any Indo European language, but especially with Romance languages; the trick is that you need to be aware of and pay attention to the way the language has evolved and is different from Latin. Most of the differences are patterned.

But pick a language based on something about the language other than its relationship to Latin; pick it because you're interested in the place and its cultures, or because you have a desire to read something/see something in that language, for instance.

XSnapdragonx

Registered
Reaction score
I'm using a combination of apps Duolingo and Memrise to learn Italian. It's a big challenge for me because I have no aptitude for languages at all.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I think everyone has an aptitude for languages. I mean, you've learned at least one already, no? :p But I do agree that there is some degree of affinity that can make learning easier or more difficult.

Finally got my new journal in yesterday, have it mostly set up already. So far I'm using it to track my DL tree progress, daily practices, general info/reference stuff and the grammar notes I did already have. Tomorrow I'll probably spend a significant part of my day going through the non-mobile version and getting all the notes, etc that I missed from using the app. Debating whether it's worth keeping a few spreads of vocab/basic phrases to practice; if nothing else, the act of writing it down does help with retention. I don't want to rely too heavily on rote either though.

I admit I'm also kind of hoping if I do extended study sessions on the weekends I can drastically shorten the amount of time it takes to learn. I'm impatient I know, mostly because I'm a. motivated and b. excited. One of the Brazilians I work with sent me a picture yesterday that had some Portuguese in it and I was actually able to read most of it, I was so stoked lol. Progress! Even if it is very very small. I mean hey, a week ago I wouldn't have had a clue what it said.

Today was officially my 7 day streak on DuoLingo. I don't plan to use it for long; once I'm done with the tree I'll use it for reviewing while I move on to Memrise and immersion, basically. If I can find a decent cheap textbook or two I'll do that too.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I've got a 148 day streak on Duolingo learning Spanish. Just a few lessons a day are good enough for me. Otherwise I overwhelm myself. I'm picking things up, if slowly. After I finish this track, I'd like to try Japanese. I just don't want to do two languages at once and end up getting wires crossed. I'd end up with some weird Japanese-Spanish hybrid and wouldn't even know what I was saying.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
So many notes...there's no way I'm going to be writing all of them down in one day. But it's a start.

I've been keeping up on my daily practice.

I also picked up Tinycards, which is a companion app to Duolingo. It generates flashcards based on the DL tree you're learning. You can use it to review vocab, basically. Like DL you have to unlock each lesson and keep them all gold. The voicework on it is significantly poorer, but I am finding it useful. I'll probably use both from now on.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Another Duolingo user, for Spanish.

I, uh, have kind of a big gap since my last streak, though.

jl_hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Bom gia! I've been learning Spanish for just over a year.

Started on Duolingo and it's excellent: te enseña muy rapidó.

I completed the tree a few months back, then kinda stalled in my progression. I tried laddering there -- where you learned a 3rd language from the base of the 2nd (Portuguese from Spanish), but felt I really needed to hear more of the language. It felt like I didn't know the sounds of Spanish well enough that I could also learn the sounds of Portuguese. So I gave that up and started on Rosetta Stone. It's been 4 weeks, and I think it really helps with the listening/speaking, but is considerably slower going than Duo.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Surprisingly kept my streak even after a really tough day at work yesterday.

I've noticed an interesting side benefit to my advancing knowledge of Portuguese--because I'm starting to understand how the grammar works, I'm having an easier time understanding my Brazilian drivers in English. For example, I talk to one of them via text almost every day, but sometimes he'll word something a bit strangely in a way that makes it hard to figure out what he meant. But with my newfound grammar knowledge, I've been able to successfully bridge that particular gap without asking him for clarification. It's also helping me with the nuances of the way they speak English, too. No one speaks broken English or anything, but there is a noticeable difference in how they speak, and knowing why they say things the way they do is immensely helpful for communicating.

This is pretty fun, lol.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I used Duolingo for a while but got bored and frustrated with it kicking me back to old lessons if I missed a day. And even after testing me, the lessons were way too basic, or if I hit a thing I didn't know (like a certain preposition), I got kicked back to (again!) repeat lessons I'd done xx times already. It felt like I was doomed to repeat everything I already knew at whatever level because of the few things I didn't know. This was for French. I'd had it for years in school and wanted a refresher.

I moved on to Mosalingua, which suited me better. It's based on flashcards of vocabulary and sentences grouped according to topic. There's a lot of extra stuff too like stories and conversations to listen to and various modules. It doesn't go into grammar, and that was okay because I pretty much know French grammar and just wanted the vocab and usage.

I also get a kick out of 1000 English to French Puzzles. It's a basic app game where you have to translate sentences from English to French by picking the right balloons in the right order. I've probably learned more grammar from that than from Duolingo because when I'm stuck, I look up on the web what I got wrong. I also keep a notebook of the phrases. It's not for beginners, though.

Marlys, good luck with your German! It took me about 6 months in an intensive course to even feel remotely capable of having a basic conversation with a German, and maybe two more years in the country before I was really comfortable. Maybe you'll be faster. :)

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Watch Brazilian telenovelas you like, with or without subtitles, for at least 15-30 min/ day, with all the attention to understand. If you do it every day for 2-3 months, you'll notice outstanding progress. Not before. You need to overpass a mental threshold in order to understand actively, and 2-3 months/ daily is that one.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that listening to native speakers, even if you're not really paying attention to them, helps your brain sort out a new language. In other words, if you haven't got time to watch telenovelas and really concentrate on them, then just turn them on in the background. Even much that helps. (Although I don't doubt that active listening helps more.)

Alternately, find an online radio station from an appropriate country and listen to music while you work.