Hello from the Southern US

metahead

Registered
Reaction score
I'm metahead and I'm trying to start a presence online. I'm a writer, of course, but for a few years now I've been a full-fledged hermit. No social media presence at all. I got rid of everything and just focus on personal stuff. Now, in order for people to read my stuff, I am trying to step back into the world again but things are... different for me.

Anyway, I'm not trying to tell my life story here. I just want to say, "Hello."

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, metahead. :welcome:

I am not a natural to social media, in any way, so I wish you well at whatever pace works for you! :e2cookie:

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a great hello. Hello back and :welcome:.

I'm with you about social media. Someone told me FaceBook was a wonderful place to make folks aware of my book, and it turned so disastrous that I had to shut down the e-mail address it ruined.

The whole scheme was like trying to sell insurance or other stuff by pressuring friends and the friends of friends. Not for me. :Shrug:

Obi-Wan Nobody

Perpetual padawan
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, metahead!
Unfortunately, there is too much hate and frustration in social media. It's funny how some people believe that social media is getting us closer to the singularity.
IMO, we're going in the direction shown it that brilliant movie called "Idiocracy".

metahead

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, metahead!
Unfortunately, there is too much hate and frustration in social media. It's funny how some people believe that social media is getting us closer to the singularity.
IMO, we're going in the direction shown it that brilliant movie called "Idiocracy".

I agree. There is no discussion anymore between humans and social media was suppose to be about creating that. Everyone believes they are right and so nothing changes.

It's a great hello. Hello back and :welcome:.

I'm with you about social media. Someone told me FaceBook was a wonderful place to make folks aware of my book, and it turned so disastrous that I had to shut down the e-mail address it ruined.

The whole scheme was like trying to sell insurance or other stuff by pressuring friends and the friends of friends. Not for me. :Shrug:

I know what you mean. I started several Facebook pages to promote an idea and I deleted them all. I just don't like the feeling I get from self-promotion which is weird because you have to do that now as a writer. I know I just going to have to overcome it without feeling like I'm losing myself.

rwhegwood

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Metahead. Welcome. Fellow southerner here...with no northerners in my direct paternal line that I know about going back to 1652..and I doubt any from my maternal line as well. In short, born, bred, and will die Southern. And were I interested in pressing the point my paternal family originated in southern Scotland before moving to southern England then three generations later heading to the Virginia colony. On my mother's side, much of the family originated in colonial days in southern Ireland. One was an Irish slave who successfully ran away. Got a lot of South in me...almost enough to be braggadocious and politely obnoxious in the kindest of all possible ways. :)

Last edited:

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
hi. i'm a real hillbilly from the mountains of sw virginia. never have minded it. much, i guess.

Last edited:

metahead

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and thanks to all who commented and welcomed me!

ktzeee

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!! Hope you enjoy your time in this community!