Writers Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

JShaft33

Registered
Reaction score
This isn't necessarily the best thread for this post, however it appears my posting ability is still limited within other threads due to my new member status.

I just discovered that my hometown has a Writers Conference coming up in a couple of weeks:
atlantawritersconference dot com

As I am new to all of this I wanted to see if other's have attended similar and found value. The agenda is as follows:

Friday, November 3, 2017

11:30-4:00 p.m. Check in outside the Concourse A Ballroom on the bottom level of the Renaissance Concourse Atlanta Airport Hotel conference area.

12:30-1:30 p.m. Editors Q&A Panel with all six editors from publishing firms in the Concourse A Ballroom.

1:45-4:00 p.m. Query Letter Critique: In the third-floor meeting rooms, panels of one editor and one agent each offer critiques and suggestions during sessions of about ten minutes to improve participants’ query letters so they’ll shine when they pitch their chosen agent(s)/editor(s) one-on-one on Saturday and/or have a sterling query letter to use ever after. Past guest agents and editors have called this a “must do” activity, and often cite it as the most helpful and informative educational session offered by any conference anywhere. Meanwhile, Paul Levine gives two free, interactive talks with Q&A in the Concourse A Ballroom: “From Page to Screen: The Process of Turning Your Book into a Movie” and “Republishing: Turning a Self-Published Book into a Traditional Publication.”

4:00-6:00 p.m. Workshop: Conference special guest speaker Paul Levine, entertainment lawyer and literary agent, presents his two-hour workshop “Contracts 101 and Legal Issues for Writers.” Citing lots of examples and providing extensive Q&A, Paul has geared this workshop for writers at all levels, from those just starting out to authors with books who want to better understand publishing contracts, copyrights, self-publishing issues, liabilities, options for TV, movies, audio, and foreign rights, and much more.

6:00-8:30 p.m. Free time to improve your query letter for Saturday–if you did the query letter critique–and to dine in the hotel or elsewhere.

8:30-11:30 p.m. Free social mixer in the private meeting room for Conference participants only. No RSVP necessary. Join our guest agents and editors for casual chats about books and the people who write them, sell them, publish them, and buy them. As part of their conference obligations, the twelve editors and agents are compelled to participate.

Saturday, November 4, 2017

8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Check in outside the Concourse A Ballroom on the bottom level of the Renaissance Concourse Atlanta Airport Hotel conference area.

9:00-10:00 a.m. Agents Q&A Panel with all six literary agents in the Concourse A Ballroom.

10:15 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Manuscript critique meetings: One-on-one meetings for about 15 minutes each between the editors/agents and those who submitted their work for critique by the October 3 deadline, in the third-floor meeting rooms. Meanwhile, founder and executive director of The Writer’s High Retreat and professional editor, writer, and writing coach Mari Ann Stefanelli will provide two 75-minute talks in the Concourse A Ballroom: “The Joy of Editing: How to Revise Your Work and How to Find an Editor You Love (Yes, Really!)” and “Breaking Isolation: How to Find and Foster a Supportive Writing Community.”

1:00-2:15 p.m. Lunch on your own.

2:15-5:30 p.m. Pitch meetings: Participants pitch an editor/agent one-on-one for about ten minutes each, in the third-floor meeting rooms. In parallel, author Reagan Keeter will do two 75-minute presentations on the craft of writing in the Concourse A Ballroom: “Story Structure: Beats, Scenes, and Acts” and “Tension in a story and Brainstorming During Story Development.”

5:45-6:15 p.m. Award ceremony in the Concourse A Ballroom with each editor/agent presenting a certificate to participants for the best manuscript sample submitted for critique and for the best pitch.

~~

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it depends on your level of experience. Things I went to last year I probably wouldn't go to this year, even if the schedule was the same. Query workshops, for instance, aren't as important if you've already got an agent. Think about the things that are ahead of you, writing-career-wise, and go for those.

Last year, I went to things like "All about self-publishing" and "writing well-rounded characters" and "writing evocative settings." This year, I'll probably do things like "Historical Novels," "Supporting Characters," and "Worldbuilding."

One item that's very informative (and entertaining) if your conference has an equivalent, is SIWC Idol. You drop the first page of your novel into a basket, and they pick pages at random to read to the room. A panel of agents then comment on whether they'd keep reading or not (or ask for a full, or whatever) and WHY.

Status
Not open for further replies.