Help Describing 1920s Theatre (photos included)

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I was hoping I could get help describing this theatre. I know it was built in the 1920s. But I don't know the word for the paintings on the ceilings, the gold things on the wall on each side of the stage (above the doorways), the...crown moulding? Would the paintings just be called murals? I'm not sure if I'm using the rights words/what the the right words are.

capitol-theatre-and-arts.jpg

Pentastar-House-Angle-1-760x450.jpg

C-3-540x359.jpg

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sort of art deco, with gilded accented, arched, coved ceiling, painted (or gilded I can't quite tell) inset panels, carved niches and columns, chandeliers, a long, flattened, repeating proscenium arch? Gotta run, sorry! :)

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
First thing to say is it's beautiful. I don't know where it is, but I'd guess it was built in the early twenties, as it seems to have a mixture of both Art Nouvaeu and Art Deco elements. The ceiling is almost a barrel vault, with what looks like an ornately decorated arched beam. The decoration on the beam is echoed above the side doors and above the proscenium arch over the stage. The ceiling on the proscenium (stage) side of the arch is either panelled, or painted to look like panelling in what seems to be dark green(?), while the other part of the ceiling is dominated by what looks like an Art Deco cupola in an ornate plasterwork rectangle.
The gilded panels above the doors are romanesque, but with intricate relief (probably plasterwork). I can't make out too much detail on the rectangular panels flanking the doors, but they look as though they echo the almost scumbled painting effect of the ceiling above the balcony. They could also be highly varnished wood, perhaps burr walnut.

Sorry to be so vague, but what I can say is that it's bloody glorious! Where is it?

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Calder and Cornflake! That helps a lot. This is the Capitol Theatre in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First thing to say is it's beautiful. I don't know where it is, but I'd guess it was built in the early twenties, as it seems to have a mixture of both Art Nouvaeu and Art Deco elements. The ceiling is almost a barrel vault, with what looks like an ornately decorated arched beam. The decoration on the beam is echoed above the side doors and above the proscenium arch over the stage. The ceiling on the proscenium (stage) side of the arch is either panelled, or painted to look like panelling in what seems to be dark green(?), while the other part of the ceiling is dominated by what looks like an Art Deco cupola in an ornate plasterwork rectangle.
The gilded panels above the doors are romanesque, but with intricate relief (probably plasterwork). I can't make out too much detail on the rectangular panels flanking the doors, but they look as though they echo the almost scumbled painting effect of the ceiling above the balcony. They could also be highly varnished wood, perhaps burr walnut.

Sorry to be so vague, but what I can say is that it's bloody glorious! Where is it?

I would say that is the Capitol Theater. Let's see what I have on it.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I was hoping I could get help describing this theatre. I know it was built in the 1920s. But I don't know the word for the paintings on the ceilings, the gold things on the wall on each side of the stage (above the doorways), the...crown moulding? Would the paintings just be called murals? I'm not sure if I'm using the rights words/what the the right words are.

capitol-theatre-and-arts.jpg

Pentastar-House-Angle-1-760x450.jpg

C-3-540x359.jpg

I think you will get a volume of information if you google [ "Pantages style " architecture. ]

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You can call a ceiling painting a mural or a ceiling painting. I don't think there's any other special word.

The things over the doors are arched panels. Not sure what they're made of.

Very beautiful!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
The Capitol has it's own website http://www.capitoltheatrewindsor.ca/learn/history/ As it looks to be lovingly maintained, you might ask if they have anything describing the architecture, or if they could answer specific questions. Is it just 'scenery', or is it part of your story? For instance, they might be able to tell you what the backstage area was like. (Or is like.)

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
The Capitol has it's own website http://www.capitoltheatrewindsor.ca/learn/history/ As it looks to be lovingly maintained, you might ask if they have anything describing the architecture, or if they could answer specific questions. Is it just 'scenery', or is it part of your story? For instance, they might be able to tell you what the backstage area was like. (Or is like.)

This is the local theatre for me, so I've actually been there many times and even performed on the stage/been backstage. It has a bit of sad history where it was not being taken care of for many years and it began to fall apart (especially the backstage area). Luckily the local symphony has taken it over and has been doing an excellent job taking care of it and making necessary updates. I just had no clue how to describe how it looked in the main theatre part!