Trump Threatens to Violate Freedom of the Press

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
In suggesting that NBC's license be reviewed, Trump seems to be threatening the freedom of the press clause of the 1st amendment. We have a long history of presidents having differences with the press, but to my knowledge nothing like this. In the past I have not been a fan of impeachment, but Trump is different. Yesterday, I called and left messages for Rep. Kay Granger and Sen. John Corynin asking that impeachment proceed. I tried to leave a message for Sen. Ted Cruz, but his phone system didn't recognize numbers I punched in to contact him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/us/politics/trump-nbc-fcc-broadcast-license.html

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Some people think IQ scores are like golf scores. The lowest wins. And Trump has a pretty good handicap in both.

-cb

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
This is really one of the scariest things Trump has done (lower on the scale than threatening nuclear war, but not that much lower). Despite everyone saying "he can't really do that," who's to stop him? Once he's packed the courts with ultra-rightwing sycophants, they won't lift a finger.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I know quite a few people who totally and completely agree with Mr. Trump, and don't see any problem with it. They don't understand the concepts of setting precedents, and how freedom really works.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Despite everyone saying "he can't really do that," who's to stop him?
The FCC is rather technical in how it administrates the electromagnetic frequency spectrum. IIRC, only obscenity, profanity and indecency are monitored ( link ). I doubt a negative comment about Trump passes that test. Relax. It's just another daily clusterfuck Kelly has to deal with.

-cb

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
NBC doesn't actually have a broadcast license. Its affiliated stations do. There's virtually nothing Trump can do here, other than bluster. I doubt he even realizes this, or cares. As for the tattered "fake news" mantra, he rarely points at any specific story as being "fake", because hardly any of them are, and that much he certainly knows. But it fires up his crowd of acolytes, makes them clap and cheer, and that's really all he wants, all that matters to him.

caw

caw

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I know quite a few people who totally and completely agree with Mr. Trump, and don't see any problem with it. They don't understand the concepts of setting precedents, and how freedom really works.

Some of those people are family members. We've had to call a cease fire because I refuse to let that d-head of a president and the morally corrupt Republican Party ruin my family. There are other ways to fight. Often by example, not argument.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Isn't Tony Soprano somewhat more intelligent?

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
It's easy to dismiss this with "he can't do that so why worry". But that's the same thing that was said about other things he's done. The president isn't supposed to use the office for his own personal profit. He's not supposed to collude with foreign governments. Yet he's getting away with those things.

Also, you can't underestimate how much this could poison the atmosphere. If his supporters go along (and we have no reason to believe they won't, no matter how insane his actions), then we have people screaming for impingement of freedom of the press. Getting people stirred up to not only accept but clamor for Constitutional violations is terrifying.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This reminds me of a joke from a year ago:

2016: Donald Trump can't say that, can he?

2018: President Trump can't do that, can he?

2020: Are you watching The Hunger Games tonight? I hope my District wins.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
At least one Republican senator is taking this seriously:

Sen. Ben Sasse asks if President Trump is 'recanting' his oath of office

I hope so,but Sasse's been outspoken about Trump frequently and...that's it. He's mostly supported Trump's agenda with votes, where it counts, and I haven't seen him do anything but make disapproving statements, which aren't much help. I hope this time he puts some action behind his tweets.

(The link didn't work for me, but I'd read about this earlier).

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ben Sasse is a knee-twitch reflex conservative on just about every issue. But he's also on the short list of Republicans who might be tempted to challenge Trump in the 2020 primary season. He could be staking out some territory.

caw

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trump's main MO is making threats. Credible, not credible -- he threatens...

I think the threats are part of his pathology: ideas of grandeur? Or something like it, in his world he can do anything he pleases.

It's not credible he can ignore the First Amendment. He has also threatened lawsuits like passing out candy on Halloween.

Trump and his businesses have been involved in 3,500 legal cases in U.S. federal courts and state court
Of the 3,500 suits, Trump or one of his companies were plaintiffs in 1,900; defendants in 1,450; and bankruptcy, third party, or other in 150.[1] Trump was named in at least 169 suits in federal court.[2] A number of other cases (over 150) were in the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida (covering Broward County, Florida) since 1983.[3] In about 500 cases, judges dismissed plaintiffs' claims against Trump. In hundreds more, cases ended with the available public record unclear about the resolution.[1] Where there was a clear resolution, Trump won 451 times, and lost 38.[4]

Now his belief in his power includes anything an absolute dictator could do. No more than bluster, and I imagine out of all the lawsuits he filed there were thousands more he threatened.

SandyH

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Can anyone give a few news that were positive about Trump by media outlets? He didn't just show up but was sent by the people to the white house. I am trying to find something positive. Economy, terrorism, illegals..... BTW, I am not fan of Trump but should we give him a chance.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Can anyone give a few news that were positive about Trump by media outlets? He didn't just show up but was sent by the people to the white house. I am trying to find something positive. Economy, terrorism, illegals..... BTW, I am not fan of Trump but should we give him a chance.

Why do you think you can't find something positive?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's too late to "give him a chance". I've been asked that since the day after the election and it's turned into the fucking shitstorm I knew would happen. We're running out of time. He needs to be stopped.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I will never be part of your "we." You give him all the chances you want and I will keep trying to mitigate the damage, which mounts up daily in ways that it's almost impossible to keep track of and are actually killing people. That is not hyperbole.

"Illegals?"

That's a slur. People are not illegals. They are undocumented. Good grief.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Security Expert Malcolm Nance believes DJT's attack on NBC is retaliation for their reporter Richard Engel uncovering documents detailing Paul Manafort's debts to Russian oligarchs. He never revealed these debts in any of his filings when he became DJT's campaign manager.

Link 1-Tweet

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

Or they don't understand how to read, because the sentence is really not complex.

I think the threats are part of his pathology: ideas of grandeur? Or something like it, in his world he can do anything he pleases.

It's not credible he can ignore the First Amendment. He has also threatened lawsuits like passing out candy on Halloween.

Trump and his businesses have been involved in 3,500 legal cases in U.S. federal courts and state court

Now his belief in his power includes anything an absolute dictator could do. No more than bluster, and I imagine out of all the lawsuits he filed there were thousands more he threatened.

Honest to god, I think it's more credible he truly has no idea what the law is, and does not know or understand what the First Amendment says, means, does, is for, etc. I just think he's so ignorant it's not about thinking he's above it but not getting that it's there or understanding it. Even if it were explained, I'd wager he'd just come back with something like 'but they're lying,' (which obviously not and not that it matters but I do believe that'd be his level of understanding).

Why don't you share something positive?