Signing up for KDP question

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net
I am about to sign up for KDP and the very first line brings forth a question. I don't have a company name, so do I use my real name or a pen name? The "What's This?" text says, The name of your publishing company. If you have not established a separate company entity (corporation, etc), this can be your first and last name.

Am I safe to assume a pen name is fine for that entry and that my real name will just be needed for bank and tax information?

Calder

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thejanusgate.com
You can use your real name, your pen-name, or any other name. I use my pen-name. All that happens is that the name you enter appears on the Amazon page for your book as the publisher.
What you're not allowed to do is to name Amazon, or any of their competitors as the publisher of your book. With Amazon, as with a great many of the outlets for self-publishing, they regard themselves as the intermediary between the author/publisher and the reading public.

All the best with it.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Is this the field that says who publishes your book (appear on the sales page) or who gets paid royalties? The thread below suggests it is the latter, in which case it needs to be your real name, as it appears on your bank account and tax returns.

https://kdp.amazon.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=222408

Last edited:

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I am about to sign up for KDP and the very first line brings forth a question. I don't have a company name, so do I use my real name or a pen name? The "What's This?" text says, The name of your publishing company. If you have not established a separate company entity (corporation, etc), this can be your first and last name.

Am I safe to assume a pen name is fine for that entry and that my real name will just be needed for bank and tax information?

You may be confusing two separate parts of the process:

1. When you sign up for a KDP account, you must use a legal name that is associated with your tax ID: either your real name (if using a SSN) or your company name, if you have one with an associated EIN. You cannot use a pen name to set up a KDP account; you won't get paid if you do.

2. When you publish a book, there's a field for the author name (first and last). This is where you enter your pen name, if you use one. You can have as many pen names as you want, but only one KDP account, and that account must be in your legal name (or the legal name of your publishing entity).