Trekkies, I need you!

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
Strange question for Star Trek fans, specifically those who love The Next Generation (but open to other series/movies)... alien life forms that seemed insectoid? Any spring to mind? If you can even remember what season or premise the episode was in, I could track them down even better.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
TOS forever!!!!

*runs away*

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Strange question for Star Trek fans, specifically those who love The Next Generation (but open to other series/movies)... alien life forms that seemed insectoid? Any spring to mind? If you can even remember what season or premise the episode was in, I could track them down even better.

There were those worm-critters in Conspiracy that took over the Admiralty and were never heard of again.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
TOS forever!!!!

*runs away*

:roll: the best.

- - - Updated - - -

There were those worm-critters in Conspiracy that took over the Admiralty and were never heard of again.

FORGOT about that one. How could I, when the guy's head literally explodes at the end?

- - - Updated - - -

There were the Xindi-insectoids in Enterprise, but I try to forget Enterprise ever existed.

Thank you! And, yeah, understandable. It's a character favorite.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
In the 60s series ("Star Trek". Just "Star Trek").

Anyway, sorry.

there was the worm thingy that was killing miners because they were taking it's eggs. Mr. Spock mind-melded with it.

& what about the clicking insects that kidnap Ryker? He has memories or dreams of it..

(I try to forget Enterprise existed, but - when it went of the air I got rid of my TV. No Star Trek, no reason to have a TV.)

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
The Jarada were named in "The Big Goodbye" as insect like, but never seen. You had some insect-ish alien make up in "Genesis." Some unnamed bug like aliens in 'Schisms."

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
In the 60s series ("Star Trek". Just "Star Trek").

Anyway, sorry.

there was the worm thingy that was killing miners because they were taking it's eggs. Mr. Spock mind-melded with it.

& what about the clicking insects that kidnap Ryker? He has memories or dreams of it..

(I try to forget Enterprise existed, but - when it went of the air I got rid of my TV. No Star Trek, no reason to have a TV.)

The horta! Devil in the Dark! Rock thing! Sorta.

*run*

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Okay. *Dusting off the STTNG memory banks*

Thinking of anything that is vaguely insect-like.

The exocomp episode, The Quality of Life, is one of my favorites. Little robot type devices programed to save the day go about their business, but whoa, they develop consciousness. Problems ensue.

Also, the episode called Evolution, which is when Wesley Crusher's experiment with nanotechnology escapes and causes havoc aboard the Enterprise. Maybe those guys are sort of insect-like?

moonwatch178

The Angels Have The Phone Box
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm....

Your best bet would probably be the parasites from TNG's episode the Conspiracy

There is also a parasite like alien in Voyager that attaches to b'elanna but I can't remember which ep that was.

Otherwise...the Symbionts for the Trill look like wormy creatures

You could make an argument for the Allasomorphs looking buggy.

More vague resemblance, IMHO- would be the Nausicaans

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
There was the pseudoparasite that attached to B'Lanna in Voyager in order to stay alive. It was insectoid, but they were too advanced for us to be able to communicate with them. They seemed to use a chemolanguage (chemical language) as well as 'digital'.

There was also Species 8472, but I am unsure if it had an exoskeleton. And of course, the Xindi insectoids from Enterprise.

polishmuse

I'm a cookie
Registered
Reaction score
hmmm....

Your best bet would probably be the parasites from TNG's episode the Conspiracy

There is also a parasite like alien in Voyager that attaches to b'elanna but I can't remember which ep that was.

Otherwise...the Symbionts for the Trill look like wormy creatures

You could make an argument for the Allasomorphs looking buggy.

More vague resemblance, IMHO- would be the Nausicaans

Excellent deep cuts. The Allasomorphs are super odd. The bug eyes are definitely the most insectoid part, then they're kind of bears. But then again, they could technically transform into anything, so I guess there's that...

- - - Updated - - -

There was the pseudoparasite that attached to B'Lanna in Voyager in order to stay alive. It was insectoid, but they were too advanced for us to be able to communicate with them. They seemed to use a chemolanguage (chemical language) as well as 'digital'.

There was also Species 8472, but I am unsure if it had an exoskeleton. And of course, the Xindi insectoids from Enterprise.

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. *Dusting off the STTNG memory banks*

Thinking of anything that is vaguely insect-like.

The exocomp episode, The Quality of Life, is one of my favorites. Little robot type devices programed to save the day go about their business, but whoa, they develop consciousness. Problems ensue.

Also, the episode called Evolution, which is when Wesley Crusher's experiment with nanotechnology escapes and causes havoc aboard the Enterprise. Maybe those guys are sort of insect-like?

I will check those out. Thanks!

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
The Horta turns up in several of the Star Trek spin off book series - definitely in My Enemy, My Ally, and in one whose name I can't remember - but which includes a silicate spider who is a genius scientist - called something like K'st'lk. (Something like.) (I think they both pop up in "Spock's World".)
I read some of the spin-off books before watching the original Star Trek - and the Horta episode effects are hysterical. Sorry, I know the series was ground breaking and it was the 1960s but the horta is done with a large cloth costume (as described in one of the books "looking like a giant pan pizza") and someone underneath crawling around. Reminded me a lot of a friend's large, hairy terrier in the way it moved.
But both a great character and a fascinating species in the books as is the silicate spider.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
While not Next Gen, there are the Nasat, which appeared in the Animated Series and were also used in the Star Trek: Corps of Engineer series of books.

Check Memory Alpha and/or Memory Beta web sites for more information on the Nasat

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
My one regret in writing for Star Trek was that the Corps of Engineers series got cancelled when it did. I had a story that would have run four stories after the final one - featuring a team of hortas assisting the CoE in digging down to a hidden vault. The hortas were fun to write, esp. since they communicate via smell and the poor Tellarite (the pig-faced race) couldn't stand the smell of them. *heh, heh, heh.*

The Horta turns up in several of the Star Trek spin off book series - definitely in My Enemy, My Ally, and in one whose name I can't remember - but which includes a silicate spider who is a genius scientist - called something like K'st'lk. (Something like.) (I think they both pop up in "Spock's World".)
I read some of the spin-off books before watching the original Star Trek - and the Horta episode effects are hysterical. Sorry, I know the series was ground breaking and it was the 1960s but the horta is done with a large cloth costume (as described in one of the books "looking like a giant pan pizza") and someone underneath crawling around. Reminded me a lot of a friend's large, hairy terrier in the way it moved.
But both a great character and a fascinating species in the books as is the silicate spider.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
There were the Trill, a humanoid/sluglike alien symbiotic combo from Deep Space 9. Example: Jadzia Dax (human Jadzia, host to slug Dax).

The Borg were a hive mind, but that's not the same thing.

And yes, it scares me that I know this.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score

Are you talking about the Horta, *Devil in the Dark*? Not an insect. Silicon based life form.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score

Yes, I liked that one. Spider was engineer; Scottie’s mentor during the visit.

The horta eats old data chips for snacks, and really does a mind job on the Romulins who worship elementals.

I liked those original novels, before they restarted the numbering.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
in The Wrath of Khan, there was the wormy-insects thing that Khan put into Checkov's ear in order to control his mind.