It's Scottish

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trekkies, I need you!

practical experience, FTW polishmuse's Avatar

Trekkies, I need you!

Strange question for Star Trek fans, specifically those who love The Next Generation (but open to other series/movies)... alien life forms that seemed insectoid? Any spring to mind? If you can even remember what season or premise the episode was in, I could track them down even better.
    literally a person. also, a literal person. and a literary person. and a contrary person.

There were the Xindi-insectoids in Enterprise, but I try to forget Enterprise ever existed.
    Fueled by the coffee Tiddlywinks says she gave up...(though she's totally lying)

Quote Originally Posted by polishmuse View Post
    Strange question for Star Trek fans, specifically those who love The Next Generation (but open to other series/movies)... alien life forms that seemed insectoid? Any spring to mind? If you can even remember what season or premise the episode was in, I could track them down even better.
    There were those worm-critters in Conspiracy that took over the Admiralty and were never heard of again.

Quote Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
    TOS forever!!!!

*runs away*
    the best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lizmonster View Post
    There were those worm-critters in Conspiracy that took over the Admiralty and were never heard of again.
    FORGOT about that one. How could I, when the guy's head literally explodes at the end?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkitdizzi View Post
    There were the Xindi-insectoids in Enterprise, but I try to forget Enterprise ever existed.
    Thank you! And, yeah, understandable. It's a character favorite.
    literally a person. also, a literal person. and a literary person. and a contrary person.

In the 60s series ("Star Trek". Just "Star Trek").

Anyway, sorry.

there was the worm thingy that was killing miners because they were taking it's eggs. Mr. Spock mind-melded with it.

& what about the clicking insects that kidnap Ryker? He has memories or dreams of it..

(I try to forget Enterprise existed, but - when it went of the air I got rid of my TV. No Star Trek, no reason to have a TV.)
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

practical experience, FTW
    The Jarada were named in "The Big Goodbye" as insect like, but never seen. You had some insect-ish alien make up in "Genesis." Some unnamed bug like aliens in 'Schisms."
    Twitter @DarbyHarn

'In this country … if you’re an artist, you’re guilty of a crime: not that you’re aware, which is bad enough, but that you see things other people don’t admit are there.' - James Baldwin

practical experience, FTW cornflake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layla Nahar View Post
    In the 60s series ("Star Trek". Just "Star Trek").

Anyway, sorry.

there was the worm thingy that was killing miners because they were taking it's eggs. Mr. Spock mind-melded with it.

& what about the clicking insects that kidnap Ryker? He has memories or dreams of it..

(I try to forget Enterprise existed, but - when it went of the air I got rid of my TV. No Star Trek, no reason to have a TV.)
    The horta! Devil in the Dark! Rock thing! Sorta.

*run*

practical experience, FTW Lauram6123's Avatar
    Okay. *Dusting off the STTNG memory banks*

Thinking of anything that is vaguely insect-like.

The exocomp episode, The Quality of Life, is one of my favorites. Little robot type devices programed to save the day go about their business, but whoa, they develop consciousness. Problems ensue.

Also, the episode called Evolution, which is when Wesley Crusher's experiment with nanotechnology escapes and causes havoc aboard the Enterprise. Maybe those guys are sort of insect-like?

The Angels Have The Phone Box moonwatch178's Avatar
    hmmm....

Your best bet would probably be the parasites from TNG's episode the Conspiracy

There is also a parasite like alien in Voyager that attaches to b'elanna but I can't remember which ep that was.

Otherwise...the Symbionts for the Trill look like wormy creatures

You could make an argument for the Allasomorphs looking buggy.

More vague resemblance, IMHO- would be the Nausicaans
    Query on my wayward son...

Ex everything; trying something new DrDoc's Avatar
    4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
    There was the pseudoparasite that attached to B'Lanna in Voyager in order to stay alive. It was insectoid, but they were too advanced for us to be able to communicate with them. They seemed to use a chemolanguage (chemical language) as well as 'digital'.

There was also Species 8472, but I am unsure if it had an exoskeleton. And of course, the Xindi insectoids from Enterprise.
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by.

Quote Originally Posted by cornflake View Post
    The horta! Devil in the Dark! Rock thing! Sorta.

*run*
    oo, will check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by moonwatch178 View Post
    hmmm....

Your best bet would probably be the parasites from TNG's episode the Conspiracy

There is also a parasite like alien in Voyager that attaches to b'elanna but I can't remember which ep that was.

Otherwise...the Symbionts for the Trill look like wormy creatures

You could make an argument for the Allasomorphs looking buggy.

More vague resemblance, IMHO- would be the Nausicaans
    Excellent deep cuts. The Allasomorphs are super odd. The bug eyes are definitely the most insectoid part, then they're kind of bears. But then again, they could technically transform into anything, so I guess there's that...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DrDoc View Post
    There was the pseudoparasite that attached to B'Lanna in Voyager in order to stay alive. It was insectoid, but they were too advanced for us to be able to communicate with them. They seemed to use a chemolanguage (chemical language) as well as 'digital'.

There was also Species 8472, but I am unsure if it had an exoskeleton. And of course, the Xindi insectoids from Enterprise.
    Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lauram6123 View Post
    Okay. *Dusting off the STTNG memory banks*

Thinking of anything that is vaguely insect-like.

The exocomp episode, The Quality of Life, is one of my favorites. Little robot type devices programed to save the day go about their business, but whoa, they develop consciousness. Problems ensue.

Also, the episode called Evolution, which is when Wesley Crusher's experiment with nanotechnology escapes and causes havoc aboard the Enterprise. Maybe those guys are sort of insect-like?
    I will check those out. Thanks!

Ex everything; trying something new DrDoc's Avatar
    4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
    And...if you're interested in Stargate SG1 insectoids there are the Re'Tu, the Retalia, and the metallic Replicators.
    I love deadlines. I love the whooshing sound they make as they go by.

practical experience, FTW Bolero's Avatar
    The Horta turns up in several of the Star Trek spin off book series - definitely in My Enemy, My Ally, and in one whose name I can't remember - but which includes a silicate spider who is a genius scientist - called something like K'st'lk. (Something like.) (I think they both pop up in "Spock's World".)
    I read some of the spin-off books before watching the original Star Trek - and the Horta episode effects are hysterical. Sorry, I know the series was ground breaking and it was the 1960s but the horta is done with a large cloth costume (as described in one of the books "looking like a giant pan pizza") and someone underneath crawling around. Reminded me a lot of a friend's large, hairy terrier in the way it moved.
    But both a great character and a fascinating species in the books as is the silicate spider.
    "People don't live on the Disc any more than <....> they live on balls. Oh, planets may be the place where their body eats it tea, but they live elsewhere, in worlds of their own which orbit very handily around the centre of their heads." Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    While not Next Gen, there are the Nasat, which appeared in the Animated Series and were also used in the Star Trek: Corps of Engineer series of books.

Check Memory Alpha and/or Memory Beta web sites for more information on the Nasat

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    My one regret in writing for Star Trek was that the Corps of Engineers series got cancelled when it did. I had a story that would have run four stories after the final one - featuring a team of hortas assisting the CoE in digging down to a hidden vault. The hortas were fun to write, esp. since they communicate via smell and the poor Tellarite (the pig-faced race) couldn't stand the smell of them. *heh, heh, heh.*

Quote Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
    The Horta turns up in several of the Star Trek spin off book series - definitely in My Enemy, My Ally, and in one whose name I can't remember - but which includes a silicate spider who is a genius scientist - called something like K'st'lk. (Something like.) (I think they both pop up in "Spock's World".)
    I read some of the spin-off books before watching the original Star Trek - and the Horta episode effects are hysterical. Sorry, I know the series was ground breaking and it was the 1960s but the horta is done with a large cloth costume (as described in one of the books "looking like a giant pan pizza") and someone underneath crawling around. Reminded me a lot of a friend's large, hairy terrier in the way it moved.
    But both a great character and a fascinating species in the books as is the silicate spider.

Get back to writing. NOW. Pterofan's Avatar
    There were the Trill, a humanoid/sluglike alien symbiotic combo from Deep Space 9. Example: Jadzia Dax (human Jadzia, host to slug Dax).

The Borg were a hive mind, but that's not the same thing.

And yes, it scares me that I know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Layla Nahar View Post
    Are you talking about the Horta, *Devil in the Dark*? Not an insect. Silicon based life form.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
    Yes, I liked that one. Spider was engineer; Scottie’s mentor during the visit.

The horta eats old data chips for snacks, and really does a mind job on the Romulins who worship elementals.

I liked those original novels, before they restarted the numbering.

Oh, just look at http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Insectoid for your answer. There is a whole list.

Quote Originally Posted by JDlugosz View Post
    Oh, just look at http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Insectoid for your answer. There is a whole list.
    brilliant!

Basically, you all are. I knew I had found the right hive mind of my own. Thank you, kind people. I now have the ammo I need, metaphorically speaking.

in The Wrath of Khan, there was the wormy-insects thing that Khan put into Checkov's ear in order to control his mind.

This thread gives me the warm fuzzies.
    Happiness, is just a word to me
    And it might have meant a thing or two
    If I'd known the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
    This thread gives me the warm fuzzies.
    Oh, you're just thinking of Tribbles....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast