Fantasy question relating to suspension of disbelief

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
So, I am currently writing an alternate world fantasy in a city in a period analogous to late 19th century England in terms of levels of technology and city layout and employment. (It is NOT Victorian England - I'm doing some other stuff quite differently - I'm just using the period as a broad guide as to what sort of technology I could have. As in gas lamps - yup. Showers - yup. Cars, nope.)

Due to the organised and technological nature of the society, there are regular activities - so saying something can't be done until "next Monday" is entirely plausible. My main character is someone who does quite a bit of organising and has to work to a timetable for a number of things. I found myself writing things about "can't get that done until Tuesday" and the like, using Monday, Tuesday etc as a placeholder.
However I really don't feel like inventing days of the week just because its a fantasy, and having to explain them to the reader. Equally "next Monday" works particularly well, because the reader will know it is just after the weekend. And so on.

My question is quite trivial in its way - in that sort of world set up, would you be jarred by my using our names of the days of the week - as in Monday, Tuesday etc?

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I might be put off if the story is set in a period before such day-names were used. But in a world that is comparable to late 19th century England, the use of Monday or Tuesday wouldn't be tasking my suspension of belief.

Rather, coming up with other weekday-names just to prove the point that this is not at all like our own world and history, might just be even more jarring.

I'd say you're fine.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
With such advanced technology, I'd expect a standard calendar to be widely used. So, you could either create your own (which is incredibly confusing to me as I've encountered it) or use ours. Since you're already borrowing from our world, I'd expect as much. You can also file this down as an author "translation" taking whatever that world would say to our language. Oddly enough, I find it a bit strange when authors don't use days of the weeks but still use standard weeks and (unnamed) months and seasons.

When all else fails, you can work around it. "In three days..." and go really rudimentary "By the next full moon..."

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Is it set in a completely alternate world or a divergent one--that is, a different Victorian England, but still England? If it's a completely alternate world, then yes, I would find our day-of-the-week names jarring--who's to say this alternate world has a repeating seven-day calendrical cycle, for one thing?

If it's just an alternate England/Europe, then our day-names would pass unnoticed.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
It wouldn't bother me at all to read a story such as you describe with the days of the week named the same as the real world days of the week. You say it's an alternate world, and you're using some facets of this world from that general time period, so I don't see why you couldn't use the days of the week that we all know.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Sun day, Moon day, Tyr's day, Odin's day, Thor's day, Freya day, Saturn day.

The days of the week we use are already one short step away from myth. You could just take that short step backward and thus split the difference between using our weekday names and making up new ones.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I think Mieville made up days of the week for the world that The Scar takes place in. He kept it pretty simple - Bone Day, Ash Day, etc. It was a tad disconcerting at first but not completely confusing.

For worlds that are completely different, I would probably expect different day names. Especially if you are trying to distinguish this world from Victorian England.

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
If you dont want to make up days of the week, why not just have people mention numbers of days rather than names? "I havent eaten in three days" works just as well as "I havent eaten since Thursday." A day of the month works too, although its a little more vague if youre not specifying the current day. "I leave on the 12th." You dont even have to make up a month name for that one.

Cinnamon

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I would also advise to go the date route if you are so inclined to do it. It is much easier, and also amounts to some levels of immersion, I guess?

The problem with the weekdays as they are is this: if it is a separate from ours (secondary) world, you probably need to be consistent with the words and etymologies of the words you use in it. For example, I find myself in the same exact spot with the weekdays in my own WIP, also 19th century-esque and very reminiscent of the actual world's cultures. But my world is highly multilingual, and if characters would use all the names of all the weekdays in all their native cultures, it would overwhelm the reader. So I just, say, state in the beginning of the book that I am translating weekdays and the names of the months to the ones the English-speaking reader would be acquainted with. No problem, that way =).

So, with you, I would ask what are the specifics of your world? What is the base language culture of the place where the story happens? If it is non-european, I would rethink the use of the seven-day week as well. Additionally, if the topology, naming conventions and, of course, religion is by far very different from ours, using words such as "Saturn's Day" in a world where there is no Saturn (let alone, Thors, Freyas and Wodans) is something I would be cautious with. So, if you comfortable with such possible oddities in between the words and names your characters use while also using the European/Anglicized names of the weekdays and months, it is probably going to be okay - readers rarely put much attention to it, unless you go for deep-dive immersion. But if you are hesitant (otherwise you wouldn't ask this question), then there is your answer: maintain inner-world consistency.

And yes, just saying that it all is a "translation" from the original might also work ^^.

Hope some of these thoughts will help you =).

Emily.Loyce

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with people that finding a way around it without inventing your own calender would be better, or using words that are similar in structure but represent the myth of your own world. Having a completely new calendar thrust upon you can be just as jarring as seeing the mordern day one represented, but yeah, I'd probably have my immersion broken if I was reading a fantasy book and they started saying "see you next tuesday."

Admittedly i've been facing the same problem with my writing. So far I've found a way around it by being more vague, but it's getting confusing in its self, so I feel your struggle, but so far I havent come to a full solution yet aside from using words like next sunrise, next moon, summers end, etc.

Eilyfe

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm currently reading the Earthsea series by Le Guin, and she's liberally using the names of months like April in her similies and so forth. While reading it didn't really jar me.

Ultimately I think you can make both approaches work; it just depends on your execution. Though I would add that if you make this a part of your worldbuilding it should serve the story beyond pure differentiation. I'd be displeased if I learned the names of all your days in a week, and then it serves no further purpose but to sound different/cool.

Last edited:

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Wouldn't bother me at all. I find 'fantasy' calendars a bit grating most of the time, though there are exceptions, like The Fifth Season where I really liked the world-building done through the calendar system.

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't be bothered by it at all, being entirely honest. It's used everywhere and its so second nature I wouldn't even notice it, probably.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Tolkien did it.

Bolero

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think I'll stick with the occasional Monday etc.
I do also use "in three days" a bit - but having the context of weekends in the mix (without actually stating it) helps and also there are regular things which always happen on a set day of the week. Things like a church service or a bin collection, so being able to work at the "what the hell is that appalling crash" "Is it Monday?" "Yes." "Then its the bin men." sort of conversation.

Hadn't thought of using dates, but it would actually help in one place - major deadline and maybe saying "only three days left to the 15th" would be useful. I'll prod that too.

First time I've needed to poke at this. When writing fantasy I am of the "In three days" school - but then the ones I've written haven't had regular patterns in them, they've been mostly in a world disrupted from its usual pattern.

Last edited: