Quote Originally Posted by Calder View Post
"Is that figure for the UK, or the US, or worldwide? What's your source? How reliable is it?"

In 2013, the IPA reported that over 522,000 new titles and re-issues had been published in the US, the UK, Australia and New Zealand alone.
An article in Forbes by Nick Morgan (again 2013) quoted a figure of between 600,000 and 1 million new publications in the US alone.
In 2015, Berrett-Koehler put the figure at "over a million"
In September 2016, Bowker reported that they had issued 727,125 ISBNs for self-published books. They didn't release a figure for traditionally published books.
I think it's safe to assume that, nowadays, the number of books published each year, through all outlets, is around the 1 million mark.
In 2015, AuthorEarnings put the split in sales between non-fiction and fiction (both adult and YA and from all sources) at a ratio of around 2:3 - i.e for every $1 million dollars spent, $400k goes on non-fiction and $600k on fiction.
It's dangerous to apply such a split and claim total accuracy, but from an output of around 1 million books per annum, it would mean 600,000 of them were fiction. Therefore, I played safe in stating a lesser number of "around 500,000".
Thank you for the background. But note that you haven't included citations for any of that, which would have helped.

I think you're extrapolating too much from these figures, and are making too many wild assumptions for your conclusions to be accurate. And please don't rely on the AuthorEarnings report for anything more than a fun half-hour: the data they collect is not representative of the whole, as it's based on a self-selecting model; they make assumptions based on things they'd like to be true, rather than on things the data show; and they're compiled by someone who has always been very negative towards trade publishing, and who has repeatedly shown himself to be a stranger to logic and reason.

I have absolutely no intention, or desire to "discredit" publishers. As I hope I made clear, I wish those who seek to pursue "traditional" publishing every success in the world, even though I personally believe that in the vast majority of cases their ambition will never be realised. As far as editors and editing are concerned, I may be fortunate in that I spent over thirty years of my working life as a journalist and editor. We all make a slip from time to time and it was a case of a single misspelled word (I inadvertently used a synonym) out of 106,000+, which even those who read the book prior to publication missed.
It's trade publishing, not traditional. Please read the guidelines for this room before you post here again.

I'm glad you don't want to discredit trade publishing. But I didn't ever suggest you did: I pointed out that you were perpetuating a myth which was created to discredit trade publishers. If you stick to the facts you'll be fine--as you should know, with your thirty years' experience.

In conclusion, I'm afraid I must differ with you about FeedARead, which publishes hard-copy books, and YouWriteOn, which, as far as I can make out, is mainly a peer critique forum. Both are part-funded by the UK Arts Council, a reputable body which, between 2015 and 2017, disbursed £1.8 billion in grants and funding to the arts. I have no experience of YouWriteOn, but, as far as FeedARead is concerned, every definition of "Vanity Publishing" involves the concept of payment by the author to publish their work. FeedARead is a free publishing service, just like the more recent KDP paperback option and any number of eBook outlets. Naturally, you pay for the books, just like everyone else, but, unlike Amazon KDP, at a reduced rate for the author.As far as distribution is concerned, FeedARead make your book available through themselves at no cost and they offer an optional service, admittedly at an annual fee ( around £88 - $116), which puts your book in the catalogues of most major US and UK booksellers, on a to-order basis.Like Amazon, FeedARead make it clear from the start that marketing your book is down to you, as is formatting, editing, cover-art etc.The only "expertise" such an enterprise requires, therefore, is in getting your words on to paper and between covers as you specify, which, in my experience, they do very well.
Thank you for your good wishes.
I know all about FeedARead and YouWriteOn. They were both vanity publishers despite the Arts Council funding they received. As you have said they charge writers for their services and as they make most of their money from the authors they publish rather than from the sale of their books, they are vanity publishers--and pretty exploitative and incompetent ones too. Note that the payment to get your books into catalogues is worthless, for various reasons, but they still take the money. But this isn't the place to debate FAR or YWO: we have a whole long thread about them in our Bewares room, here:

YouWriteOn.com / New Generation Publishing / Legend Press

Happy reading.