AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: I might be on to something...

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

I might be on to something...

My major block is that I need my first draft to be perfect. And before you tell me that no first draft is anywhere near perfect, let me assure you that I cognitively know all about first drafts, writing first and editing later, and so on. This block is not cognitive in the least.

BUT. I find that when I contemplate writing under a pen name, some of the anxiety of putting words to paper goes away. I'm not sure I'll end up using a pen name, but even so, just in the writing stage, distancing myself from the work by way of a (fictional) proxy person seems to help.

How about that. :-)
    Check out Re:Fiction's huge giveaway for fiction writers. Deadline: November 30th.

Hey, if it works, it works! Keep it up.
    Website/Blog | Twitter | Instagram (Dog Pics!)
    Avatar by Britt. Still the same teademon (or teadragon, depending who you ask).

I HAVE AN AGENT OMG OMG OMG OMG

Writing:
    M/M British Urban Fantasy
    With Agent (eeee): Giant Robots Project

Valente - this is exactly the kind of thing I do, and it makes a big difference for me.

Mind tricks - they're not just for jedi...
    すべての武器を楽器に
    Of all instruments of war, make instruments of music

Yup. Thoughts craft reality, and all that jazz.
    Check out Re:Fiction's huge giveaway for fiction writers. Deadline: November 30th.

may help sometimes to delete lots of stuff from the mss. not scalpel stuff. get out the chainsaw. and have fun doing it. have a working file mss and every time you find yourself skimming, delete what you are skimming. GET RID OF IT. may end up out of 70,000 words with only one word, like 'plastics' but you have something then to build from.
    Last edited by ancon; 10-12-2017 at 06:59 AM.

figuring it all out
    I like this idea, Valante! Thanks for sharing!
    In review--Hotel 13
    WIP 1--Untitled absurd/psychological fiction
    WIP 2--Untitled mystery/suspense

Quote Originally Posted by ancon View Post
    may help sometimes to delete lots of stuff from the mss. not scalpel stuff. get out the chainsaw. and have fun doing it. have a working file mss and every time you find yourself skimming, delete what you are skimming. GET RID OF IT. may end up out of 70,000 words with only one word, like 'plastics' but you have something then to build from.
    It's hard to edit anything when I've yet to put words to paper. But I do love aggressive editing, yes. Thanks!

I've heard this a dozen dozen times, that the best solve to writers block is to understand you'll perfect rough drafts later. I think the better approach is to believe your first draft is shiny and error free, to think every reader is gonna get it, and then to be open to disappointment.

As others have said, find your own way. For me, this approach works.