• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

I might be on to something...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valante

Registered
Reaction score
Website
refiction.com
My major block is that I need my first draft to be perfect. And before you tell me that no first draft is anywhere near perfect, let me assure you that I cognitively know all about first drafts, writing first and editing later, and so on. This block is not cognitive in the least.

BUT. I find that when I contemplate writing under a pen name, some of the anxiety of putting words to paper goes away. I'm not sure I'll end up using a pen name, but even so, just in the writing stage, distancing myself from the work by way of a (fictional) proxy person seems to help.

How about that. :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Valente - this is exactly the kind of thing I do, and it makes a big difference for me.

Mind tricks - they're not just for jedi...

ancon

Registered
Reaction score
may help sometimes to delete lots of stuff from the mss. not scalpel stuff. get out the chainsaw. and have fun doing it. have a working file mss and every time you find yourself skimming, delete what you are skimming. GET RID OF IT. may end up out of 70,000 words with only one word, like 'plastics' but you have something then to build from.

Last edited:

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
I like this idea, Valante! Thanks for sharing!

Valante

Registered
Reaction score
Website
refiction.com
may help sometimes to delete lots of stuff from the mss. not scalpel stuff. get out the chainsaw. and have fun doing it. have a working file mss and every time you find yourself skimming, delete what you are skimming. GET RID OF IT. may end up out of 70,000 words with only one word, like 'plastics' but you have something then to build from.

It's hard to edit anything when I've yet to put words to paper. But I do love aggressive editing, yes. Thanks!

crowfish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
I've heard this a dozen dozen times, that the best solve to writers block is to understand you'll perfect rough drafts later. I think the better approach is to believe your first draft is shiny and error free, to think every reader is gonna get it, and then to be open to disappointment.

As others have said, find your own way. For me, this approach works.

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
But, but...I use and intend to publish under a Pen Name...

What then?

WHAT THEN???

Arrrggghhh.

Ahem. Yes, sounds good. The fear of being wrong is powerful enough. Me, it's the annoyance of possibly having to remove an entire section that took valuable time to write. Still, not writing , uses up even more time, in that the WIP remains unfinished...
Outlining has however reduced such occurrences in recent times, so, all is not lost. (Until it is)

Status
Not open for further replies.