Best place online to learn about recently pubbed books in your genre?

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
I've always been terrible about finding "comparable titles" etc. I'm not exactly an avid buyer of new books in my genre, partly due to budget, and I just don't know my way around.

So when they ask for competing titles to my novel that have been published within the last two years... is there a site, or a few sites, that list such things by genre or make it easy to search only the most recent ones, etc, some kind of publishing-biz resource on this?

I'll be very grateful to know.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
If you use the advanced search feature on Amazon, you can limit your search by publication date, genre/subgenre, keywords, and a few other variables.

Daffyjkl

Registered
Reaction score
In Amazon search for your book and then try looking at titles under the categories of 'Customers who bought this item also bought' and 'Sponsored products related to this item'. Good luck.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of keyword searching on Goodreads, but if you know of even one title, it can be really helpful. The bottom of the page will show you "Lists With This Book," often grouped by category, genre, and/or theme, and the top often suggests titles of similar category/genre. So if you have one comp, you can find a ton more there. Titles with thousands of ratings are the popular ones.

SwallowFeather

Oops I just swallowed a feather
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help! The same day I asked this question I researched a bunch of titles and finally, actually found some comparables. I learned a good bit about the language of WWII-novel covers in the process. Government or otherwise pillared building in the picture = spy novel.. Black-and-white with a few pastels = women's fiction with a contemporary woman finding out family history or something. Black-and-white with splashes of strong color = suspense/drama on a smaller scale. That would be mine.

Anyway, thanks a ton!