AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Best place online to learn about recently pubbed books in your genre?

Oops I just swallowed a feather SwallowFeather's Avatar

Best place online to learn about recently pubbed books in your genre?

I've always been terrible about finding "comparable titles" etc. I'm not exactly an avid buyer of new books in my genre, partly due to budget, and I just don't know my way around.

So when they ask for competing titles to my novel that have been published within the last two years... is there a site, or a few sites, that list such things by genre or make it easy to search only the most recent ones, etc, some kind of publishing-biz resource on this?

I'll be very grateful to know.

practical experience, FTW WriterBN's Avatar
    If you use the advanced search feature on Amazon, you can limit your search by publication date, genre/subgenre, keywords, and a few other variables.

practical experience, FTW Daffyjkl's Avatar
    In Amazon search for your book and then try looking at titles under the categories of 'Customers who bought this item also bought' and 'Sponsored products related to this item'. Good luck.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Good question (and thanks for the answers)! I've just been tripping over google searches for ages...

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid Fuchsia Groan's Avatar
    I haven't done a lot of keyword searching on Goodreads, but if you know of even one title, it can be really helpful. The bottom of the page will show you "Lists With This Book," often grouped by category, genre, and/or theme, and the top often suggests titles of similar category/genre. So if you have one comp, you can find a ton more there. Titles with thousands of ratings are the popular ones.
    YA thriller The K1ller in M3, out now from D1sn3y-Hyper1on

"Taut storytelling and believable characters make this a standout mystery" Publishers Weekly (starred review)

Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram

Oops I just swallowed a feather SwallowFeather's Avatar
    Thank you all for your help! The same day I asked this question I researched a bunch of titles and finally, actually found some comparables. I learned a good bit about the language of WWII-novel covers in the process. Government or otherwise pillared building in the picture = spy novel.. Black-and-white with a few pastels = women's fiction with a contemporary woman finding out family history or something. Black-and-white with splashes of strong color = suspense/drama on a smaller scale. That would be mine.

Anyway, thanks a ton!