AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Go-To Website Resources for Anthology Calls?

Go-To Website Resources for Anthology Calls?

Forgive me if I'm asking this in the wrong spot, but I'm hoping this is the place. I'd like to try my hand at some more anthology calls, but darn it all if I can find a good place to discover said anthology calls (or at least before they are nearly closed).

I lurk on submission grinder, but I often find anthology calls on there that are listed which have already closed by the time they hit the list. I also jump between a couple of blogs / sites that tend to update with some calls that they collect together (like the Horror Tree, for example). And I follow a few presses that do a periodic anthology call. And I know there are occasional calls noted in the Paying Markets Forum on AW (but, sadly, not very often).

My point is, I still feel like I'm missing a lot. Or not looking in the right places. Or maybe there's a magical place that has all the anthologies that this new(ish)bie short fiction writer doesn't know about? *said with hopeful face*

Just wondering if you all have any go-tos for anthology calls you'd be willing to share. It would be nice to have a handy reference list, even if that means more hopping from site to site. (And I don't currently have a subscription to Duotrope, so if that is more robust than Submission Grinder for this purpose, I'd love to know.)

[*cough* And if there's already a list somewhere here on AW that I've missed in my Google-fu, please let me know that, too, and I will skulk away quietly in the right direction, after first licking my wounds in some dark corner of the forum]

Here's my measly list:
    Submission Grinder (I then filter in search by keyword anthology or anthologies)
    Angela Benedetti's Anthology Market List
    Horror Tree
    Writing Career
    Cathy's Comps & Calls (this has mixture of anthologies, contests, etc.)

Fellow AW'er additions:
    Ralan.com (thanks, sideshowdarb!)

I pretty much use the first three on a regular basis. Have had so-so luck with the other two. I know there are a couple more I look at but it appears Winks misplaced some bookmarks. Heh. Go figure.

Now, if I were smart, I'd make a Twitter list of all those presses with anthology calls that I follow...(if some other industrious writer has done that, well then! *cue hopeful look #2*)

*I did warn you it was measly, right?
    **note I'm not putting individual presses on my list since I, uh, kinda just remember to go to those when I happen to see something or when I use Google-fu...Bad Winks, I know. I'll come back and try to add to that bit later. But the above reflects collections of anthology calls, rather than just one press (ideally, I'd love not to have to bookmark a bajillion presses).

~Winks, who swears she's not trying to be lazy. Time efficient. Let's go with that.
    Last edited by tiddlywinks; 10-11-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Adding to the list as we go here...
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

Red Riding Hood retelling - Chapter One (revising)
    Pirate fantasy, Book 1 - Updated Chapter 1 (drafting)
    Russian ballerina vampire romance - Chapter 1 (polishing)
    UF romance with zombies, dwarves 'n biker chicks - Chapter 1 (querying)

Bloggity blog |
    #Tweety tweets | Pinterest plot bunnies

practical experience, FTW
    Hey Winks,

Not sure if it's comprehensive but ralan.com is a site I've been using for years.
    Twitter @DarbyHarn

'In this country Ö if youíre an artist, youíre guilty of a crime: not that youíre aware, which is bad enough, but that you see things other people donít admit are there.' - James Baldwin

Ooh, thanks Darb! I just found that one recently, so it wasn't in my bookmarks.
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

Bloggity blog |

practical experience, FTW
    No problem. It's pretty good, very regularly updated. I actually published my first story in an anthology I found through there.
    Twitter @DarbyHarn

'In this country Ö if youíre an artist, youíre guilty of a crime: not that youíre aware, which is bad enough, but that you see things other people donít admit are there.' - James Baldwin

Ah, good post to follow!
    Bob Mueller
    Books | Web | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Author Instagram | Personal Instagram
    I am slowly building a Twitter List of AW members.

practical experience, FTW Cobalt Jade's Avatar
    If you're on Facebook, do a search on Open Submission(s).

Murder! You want fries with that? pdichellis's Avatar
    For Horror and Speculative, try darkmarkets.com

For Mystery/Crime and some Spec, try My Little Corner (http://sandraseamans.blogspot.com/)

Both announce lots of antho calls, as well as mags, ezines, etc.
    Recent story: "Hostile Plans" - Double-crossing thugs hike into a wolf-infested forest to retrieve buried robbery loot. In Switchblade Magazine (Issue Two).

For more, visit my site Murder and Fries or my Amazon author page. Or check my AW Library listings in the Mystery, Short Fiction, and Humor sections.

Alas, I am not on Facebook. Otherwise I could see that being helpful!

Nice suggestions, pdichellis! I shall add those to the list.
    ------------

Bloggity blog |

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin danthony's Avatar
    Duotrope used to be my favorite, but I stopped using them once they started charging. They were pretty similar to Submission Grinder but were a lot more comprehensive and kept more accurate stats, from what I remember. I believe they still have a free trial if you wanted to give them a shot. Now I use most of the ones you've already listed but also add markets I really like to my IE Favorites list and check them every now and then to see what new calls they have.