Santa, the last of the wildmen

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gator House Publishing

I write novels
    One of my follow-up questions was did he have input from a lawyer or another established publisher for his boilerplate contract.

Suddenly he had no more time for our conversation.

Apparently they have people signed on as authors already, and I'm fairly sure he is using free beta readers in place of editors.
    Happiness, is just a word to me
    And it might have meant a thing or two
    If I'd known the difference.

Preparing for winter VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    You know, I bet he sees the word lawyer and immediately assumes the uncharitable. Which is a pity, and another base rookie error. Lawyers are an essential part of any company, particularly start-ups. I've been lucky with a number of start-ups I've been involved in to have lawyers available for at least consultation, and sometimes mentorship. It's invaluable just for getting basic partnership agreements right--I wouldn't even breathe the same air as a start-up that didn't have one. "But we're all friends/family here!" Things come up, even in the best situation. It's not even about protecting authors--who should have any contract read by an agent or publishing lawyer--but rather protecting the company itself from being bankrupted by legal bills when (not if) the inevitable misunderstanding occurs.

Lawyers are your friend in business. Pay the lawyers. They will make you the money back ten times over.

I write novels
    And because I am picky about these matters, I visited Gator House's newly revamped website (http://www.gatorhousepublishing.com). They have yet to post any information about the staff, for obvious reasons, but they have added submission guidelines. And, um, no. Not a good sign.

Here are a couple red flags.

Manuscripts should be previously edited and in its final state
    Aside from the grammatical error, this implies they don't want to spend money on editing. But later on that same page, they say:

All manuscripts are subject to editing.
    So which is it? The really worrisome point, however, is this:

When manuscripts are accepted for publication, authors are generally offered a royalty contract, according to the type of work and chosen market.
    If they aren't offering royalties, what are they offering?

There's a lot more about that page and the rest of the site that makes my eyes cross, but these are the ones that really stand out.

They've signed a contract with this author: https://www.amazon.com/Cat-Land-Midn...d_rhf_dp_p_t_1

to reprint some of those books.

"Today after a couple of weeks of talking things over I signed a contract withGator House Publishing to do reprints of the first 3 Cat Land Novels. So this means in a few months you will get all new editions, in paperback, hardback, and ebook formats, with all new covers. This is the beginning of hopefully a successful partnership. The new books will be re-edited, re-formatted, and will maybe have illustrations too! its very exciting. Please go over to their page and give them much panther pal love!!"
    Happiness, is just a word to me
    And it might have meant a thing or two
    If I'd known the difference.

I write novels
    I also came across one of their ads for submissions:

Gator House Publishing offers traditional and non-traditional publishing options for authors and helps connect readers to excellent writing and stories.
    They've already said they "generally" offer a royalties contract. That previous statement, together with the part I bolded, makes for a giant red flag.

I would suggest that a business student who uses "gross revenue" and "gross profit" interchangeably probably doesn't pay much attention in school...!
    Facebook Twitter Website

Priest of Bones coming October 2018 from Ace/Roc & Jo Fletcher Books

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12