AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Gator House Publishing

Gator House Publishing

A new place, blasting links in various FB groups I'm in, inviting authors seeking CPs/betas to submit to them(!)

Because obviously if you're in search for betas, submitting is high on your list atm?! Eh.

https://www.gatorhousepublishing.com
    Last edited by Harlequin; 10-11-2017 at 02:46 AM.
    Deferential, glad to be of use,
    Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
    Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
    At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
    Almost, at times, the Fool.

A Michelle Williamson registered that Wix site.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Preparing for winter VeryBigBeard's Avatar
    I think this is likely someone who does not really know what they're getting into.

I see very, very little on that site that convinces me this house is going to last beyond a few months, if that.

I'd say wait and see, but frankly the success rate for this kind of thing is so low anyway. Too many mistakes early on--and there are more here than make sense to list--and the house will never survive the initial capital losses. I'm just going to assume there's not a whole lot of capital here because, yanno, Wix.

I'm not recommending it by any means. Asking authors to send "proposals" (not queries) for their fiction wips is bizarre to say the least.

Wilde about Oscar aliceshortcake's Avatar
    I couldn't find any info about Michelle Williamson, possibly because she's a time traveller - the Gator House website is copyrighted 2023! Oddly enough, the LinkedIn symbol on Gator House's home page leads to the profile of Robert Wilkins, a student at Trident Tech University, North Charleston:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-wilkins-5bb701151/

Robert is also a time traveller - he left Trident Tech next year.

The clunky English on Gator House's website makes me doubt their ability to recognise publishable material:

We are proud to announce our journey to bring readers of all ages the most compelling stories has begun. We are geared at publishing books that will not sit on a shelf but will rest gracefully in our reader's hands. If times have taught us anything it is that a great story transports readers between the covers and traps them there until the end.

We strive to bring well-written novels woven with compelling stories to the market-place.Payment is paid in royalties & subject to contract and type of publication.
    https://www.gatorhousepublishing.com/
    I wouldn't touch this one with a bargepole.
    Last edited by aliceshortcake; 10-11-2017 at 04:36 PM.

Robert is the guy spamming in groups. Says it is his company and had a snarky go at me for saying he sounded dodgy. Dunno where mysterious Michelle figures into it.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    Website is a lot of nothing and if they've published anything at this point they're keeping it a secret.

I do love poking around on the internet. Robert Wilkins' Facebook page is clearly the right guy, since it shows Gator House and that he's a student at Trident Tech, where he studies General Business and Entrepreneurship. But if you have LinkedIn (I don't, so I see the info blocked under a pop-up to join), apparently he's also a driver for Pizza Hut--a perfectly honorable way to earn money--because that's the same guy as on Facebook.

All this suggests that he has no background in publishing. I'm not suggesting he is dishonest or anything, just that it may not be a good decision to go with a publisher with zero experience in the trade.

Maryn, who's got paint on one hand
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a ménage à trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

If he's not in Louisiana, why 'Gator'? Is his office paneled in 'Gator Board' (possibly trademarked?) Of the three division logos, one is a cartoon gator, the second is a silhouette of... some creature. The third appears to be a gator-tail, appropriately enough for the 'Gator Tales' division.

There are weirdnesses.
    'Gator Bites' is for children, from 3-8. Picture books and chapter books. Normal enough.
    The division for 'Gator Tales' is for 'young adults' - starting at age 9. Novels and chapter books. Maybe they mean 'chapbooks', as they also do poetry?
    'Gator Books' is adult fiction. Normal enough. Across a wide range of genres. Often seen as a problem with small or start-up publishers, though, because it can seem unfocussed. Do they have expertise in everything from poetry to literary fiction, fantasy, thrillers and romance (to name but a few)?
    And, they have a short story contest: No entry fee (good), first prize $50.00 (realistic, for a start-up), top five manuscripts to be selected for publication in an anthology. Eh. There are no theme or genre restrictions. Tough to judge, and if they get a mix, could make for an 'interesting' anthology.

TO CLARIFY:
    I don't think it's a scam. A scam would have GREATER QUALIFICATIONS! MORE PROMISES! BIGGER PRIZES!
    I suspect that he's just new to publishing.
    Last edited by frimble3; 10-12-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: clarification

I think he's just new, too. I asked about the company on Twitter, let's see if I get any response.

I agree with Very Big Beard on this one: so little to go on, it's not even registering as a business risk for me. And for those who do sign up with GHP, I couldn't protect them anyway.

Added: checked Twitter, no response yet. Their account has no followers, but they are following major publishers. Sigh.
    Last edited by Filigree; 10-12-2017 at 06:00 AM.

This M/M space opera
    Blog: Blue Night
    Art and jewelry online at Etsy.

Most of these kinds of places aren't started will ill intent. If this guy's a student in entrepreneurship, well, it's the sort of project student's try and there wouldn't be anything wrong with that if it weren't for the fact that, in books, you're not just fronting your own capital but also a bunch of rights to intellectual property you have to buy.

When these sorts of places go, everyone gets burned. I realize this isn't news to any of you in this thread, but I feel for the authors such a facebook campaign will snare.

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    I have decades more experience and qualifications in publishing than this guy and ain't opening any publishing business. The paperwork alone should send anyone running. Contracts, payouts, figuring royalties, dealing with (gasp) writers! No, thank you. I might end up with a pack of unreasonable divas just like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Gillhoughly View Post
    I have decades more experience and qualifications in publishing than this guy and ain't opening any publishing business. The paperwork alone should send anyone running. Contracts, payouts, figuring royalties, dealing with (gasp) writers! No, thank you. I might end up with a pack of unreasonable divas just like me!
    It's exactly this--all the stuff that nobody starting from the outside considers: book return shipments showing up in the rain, hardware/software breaking at the busiest time, editors getting sick or going on maternity/paternity leave, etc.

To be clear, I have exactly one month of publishing experience, on an internship at a small publisher that probably wasn't all that great and has long been no more.

We tried hard.

And that's not good enough.

It doesn't make a jot of difference if the experience isn't there to get books to market. The main thing I learned that month is how much mistakes in the first couple years matter. That house had some successes. It had some things going for it. You just don't get time to make even the more forgivable rookie mistakes. The people I worked with were smart people, but by the time they'd fixed some of the early wrinkles, the place was on its last legs. I left at the end of my month and it went out of business a few months later.

Nobody wins.