Hello, nice to meet you all!

Cinnamon

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Absolute Write WC!

I am looking around the place, and so far it is scary and quite a little intimidating =). I decided to start with a thread first to introduce myself, because I don't know what else to do for now, sorry. I am a recently-reformed hikikomori, (I have cut all the social ties in my life seven years ago, even on social media), and it is hard to come out again and start communicating with people, even if it is on a forum. But since writers usually need some sort of community, I figured I'd start here and see how it goes =). Maybe I'll find friends or writing buddies, or some sort of friendly acquaintances.

I am not a native speaker, although I want to write in English, so that's pretty frightening as well. I hope I am braver now than I've been before, when I told myself I was not going to be a writer ~ever~, which led me nowhere in the end.
Mostly, I write fantasy with a speculative lean. Apart from the rare instances, they all end up as flowery elegiac short stories (not vignettes, though, because all my stories have strict plot formulas), but I still need to learn how to write shorter than 6k. I'm afraid I have no idea how. I really hope I'll learn to do that here, by critiquing and submitting.

So, hello, it's nice (and scary-exciting) to meet you all.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Your English is pretty fluent for a non-native speaker. I read about hikikomori some years ago, and read some of Kobo Abe's 'The Box Man' around the same time. Seemed kind of similar, but I couldn't finish the novel. Got through about half.

Welcome!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: - Cinnamon

So pleased to meet you! - Poke around and make yourself comfortable :poke:

Oh, and don't forget to check out the "madness" fun in the Office Party Forum - You're gonna love it here and make lots of friends (we're a little crazy, but we're harmless) :hi:

Cinnamon

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, thank you all for being nice =). It means a lot.

@be frank, oh, please don't! Swords are part of the fun!

@regdog, thank you, I will read it thoroughly.

@dot-dot-dash, exactly! If you find a hefty guide to brevity, please tell me! I'm dying to learn.

@Denevius, books and movies about hikkikomori have got to be the boringest stuff on Earth! We are very dull, indeed =), and spend too much in our heads to ever inspire anything of worth about our lives. So books&movies about us are usually very meh, but if you ever want to know more, check out the first couple of episodes of anime Welcome to NHK! It covers pretty much all of the generation and all the colors/hues of hikkikomori-ship there is. And it's silly as well, so unless you go deeper than the first episodes, it won't bore the life out of you ^_^.
Also, regarding my use of English: Thank you! I worry so much about that as well =).

@Lavern08, thank you, I'll give it a try =).

@Fallen, :Sun:

Thanks, again, everyone.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Cinnamon. FYI - You share the same name with a character in my latest story who is not the good guy. ;) So I will apologize ahead of time. I chose the name for obvious reasons, when I give you her last name: Cleaver. But up until now, I had never even met a Cinnamon, so I thought no toes would be stepped on... ;). Hope you gain a lot from browsing the boards.

ktzeee

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!! Hope you enjoy your time in this community!