Marketing Plan

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
If someone told you to prepare a detailed marketing plan, what would that entail? Thanks!

I realize you may need more information, but I'm not sure what exactly, so please ask and I will be happy to provide. Thank you.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Detailed customer segments including competition
Define what products / services best serve those segments
How to reach those customers
What to tell them to woo them away from the competition
How / where they should buy the products / services

-cb

Last edited:

Bongo

Registered
Reaction score
I think that depends on many things.

I'm here more to hear the responses though than offer suggestions. Amazon Marketing Services are essential -for me- right now. And paid ads on Facebook are pretty much throwing away money.

I know that ain't what you're asking for, but that's all I got :).

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks. So, who would read this book? What other books do/would they read, and why is this book a better choice? Makes sense, thanks.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, no I hear you, Bongo. Anyway, what you got is more than what I got! TY!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Detailed customer segments including competition
Define what products / services best serve those segments
How to reach those customers
What to tell them to woo them away from the competition
How / where they should buy the products / services

-cb

What I'm getting here, please tell me if I'm wrong, is you identify the population first, and then show why they might be readers of this book, instead of starting with the book and trying to find a market? Not sure if that makes sense--grappling...

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
What I'm getting here, please tell me if I'm wrong, is you identify the population first, and then show why they might be readers of this book, instead of starting with the book and trying to find a market? Not sure if that makes sense--grappling...
Is a this a "I'm having my Heroine write a detailed marketing plan" or a "I'm self-publishing my novel and need to understand how to sell it" thread? I assumed the first.

-cb

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Is a this a "I'm having my Heroine write a detailed marketing plan" or a "I'm self-publishing my novel and need to understand how to sell it" thread? I assumed the first.

-cb

This is a "publisher is considering publishing, but wants to know if I can help sell copies" kinda thing.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Identify your reader demographic (people who read X, Y, and Z would also probably like my book) then list the ways you can think of to market to them. Then step beyond that and identify who might be interested in learning more--for example, if one of your characters is an avid gardener and gardening plays a role in the story, are there gardening blogs or forums to look at for guest posts, or gardening magazines you could contact to offer an ARC for review?

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
That is very helpful, thank you.

And I would think, that beyond genre and subject matter, we'd get into style, published books and authors with a similar style? Or, no?

haha, I fear I'm asking stupid questions.

I'll shut up now, and listen.

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
If this is a publisher asking you what you can do to help sell your books they are looking for what kind of social network you have (how many followers, how many likers), what connections you have (are you BFFs with Oprah by chance?), do you have an angle that when you pitch it to news outlets they'll jump on it (ie This book happens to be about the 2018 Olympics just in time for the 2018 Olympics!). Are you part of any communities that have particular publications devoted to them etc. This isn't actually asking you to market the work like you are a professional marketer. Usually this simply is a question a smaller press will ask to see if you as the author might come with some cool extras that will help sell books for them since their own outreach is limited.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that, Toothpaste. The subject matter, the setting of this story is a very particular slice of life. Of course I think the principles explored will be relevant to a larger demographic. It's a world I used to be a part of, so I still have some contacts that may be helpful. Thank you very much. A lot to think about.