Hello! Newish member with finished circus themed illustrated YA, getting that discouraged feeling..

artisanne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all! I finished my YA manuscript after 2... 3 years (I can't remember anymore.. haha) of research, writing and polishing. I made this account to get some guidance and support, as my first batch of about 5 queries came back with all form rejects. So I figure I better start posting on other posts in query letter hell.

But I'm a little concerned I might be on the bad side of a trend, or my book might be a bit particular to market. It's set in 1912 in a traveling circus, and it's speculative... And illustrated. Not graphic novel style, but more like Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar children incorporates visuals, or The Invention of Hugo Cabret (If you're curious about my art, it's at theshimmeringcircus.deviantart.com). My illustrations are in the style of vintage posters and portraits, as I'm a portrait artist. Some are based off of vintage photographs.

Im wondering if my query letter or first pages have issues, or if it's just a hard sell, or if there are too many circus books out there lately. I thought it would be unique with the illustrations, but I don't think agents have been interested enough to even view my page.

Anyways, if you have any thoughts or just want to say hi, please do!! Thanks :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you need critique if that wasn't part of your learning to write process. You can get critique here or join a local critique group. I can't emphasize the importance of feedback enough.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

froglivers

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with the submission process. Five isn't too bad. I wouldn't worry too much about the market or trends--it's not something you have power over, after all. Sounds hokey, but keep doing what you do seems to be the answer I end up with after digging around for what other people want. Again, best of luck, and doen't lose heart. Your project sounds interesting and beautiful.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Welcome!

Your book might be something of a hard sell if only because of the fact that an illustrated book is more expensive to produce than an all-text one. Which means you need to make sure that the writing itself is so good that they can't say no. So yeah, you're in the right place. :)

artisanne

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the responses! I'm taking a little break to get away from the my project and do other things (which works out because I'm pregnant :), but I won't give up. I know a handful of responses is early, but I wrote and queried one book before and was more hopeful for this one getting a higher response, so I'm kind of adjusting to that.

Marissa, yes I figured that it might be trickier with the cost of printing and just the fact that it doesn't fit neatly into a box. Thank you for the info, regdog. And thank you for the encouragement, FrogLiver! I understand what you mean about focusing on things you can control. MaeZe, I plan to get more critiques, thank you.

ktzeee

Registered
Reaction score
Taking a break always helps me! It's good to get away and come back with fresh eyes. Your book sounds unique and if you pitch it right, I'm sure you'll attract the right interest. :) Good luck!

ktzeee

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome!! Hope you enjoy your time in this community!

artisanne

Registered
Reaction score
JDlugosz, thank you so much for the compliment. It is always nice to hear that my drawings are appreciated. I've linked to them in my queries so far, but I've wondered if any of the agents actually followed the link at all. I have my doubts.

And thank you for the warm welcome, ktzeee!

I have one agent, Pete Knapp, who is kind of my dream agent/biggest hope for this project. I've never heard of any other agent asking specifically for a YA manuscript with illustrations. But I don't know when exactly I'd be brave enough to query him! The bummer about the querying process is that it feels like you burn bridges with each rejection, especially for such a specific project. I do know that I want to get more feedback and revise my query before I send anything else out, especially to dream agents. But I'm having my first daughter in mid January, so I'll be a bit tied up after that! :)