AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.


 

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ported from Just Another Boorish Day

  1. #1
    All about that action, boss. ElaineA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    The Seattle suburbs
    Posts
    5,367

    Ported from Just Another Boorish Day

    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    I'm not sure how disagreeing with another poster's opinion is somehow disrespectful or dismissive.
    Your words, not mine
    I have two Me's now

    The IRL me:

    Random tweety things @outtamylaine

    And this other me:
    reneedominick.com and @Renee_Dominick on Twitter
    Also, this me is a contributor to kINKED, an Erotic Romance Anthology


  2. #2
    Lost in the Fog rugcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    East O' The Sun & West O' The Moon
    Posts
    16,310
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA View Post
    Your words, not mine
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineA
    Honest to god, I have to start wondering if all you dudes are dismissing the psychologist simply because she has "girl" in her user name.
    .
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

  3. #3
    People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    6,385
    Here are your words, Rugcat.

    Quote Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
    I'm not sure how disagreeing with another poster's opinion is somehow disrespectful or dismissive.
    You added in "disrespectful"—which Elaine did not say—in a gaslighting-style attempt to invalidate her statement.

    Also rejecting someone's opinion is dismissing it. So you are actually guilty of what Elaine suggested you are.
    Last edited by JJ Litke; 10-09-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

  4. #4
    Lost in the Fog rugcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    East O' The Sun & West O' The Moon
    Posts
    16,310
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    Here are your words, Rugcat.



    You added in "disrespectful"—which Elaine did not say—in a gaslighting-style attempt to invalidate her statement.
    So you are actually guilty of what Elaine suggested you are.
    Sorry, I must disagree. She certainly put forth the idea that bombergirl's posts were being disregarded because of her gender. Obviously any post which disregards another poster's opinions because she is a woman would certainly qualify as being disrespectful.

    What I said was that I found my posts neither dismissive nor disrespectful - I wasn't quoting her, and positing that she found posts to be possibly dismissive because of the gender of the poster would certainly also imply that they were disrespectful. Simply disagreeing with opinion isn't dismissing it. Where that the case, any discussion would become pointless.

    As to gaslighting, that is an incorrect usage of the term even were your suppositions correct. And in fact it implies something far more serious than mere disagreement and is in itself an emotionally laden term, also to some extent implying sexist behavior.

    Disagreement is not being dismissive. What's dismissive is when someone says "No, you're wrong" without giving reasons or reasoned argument to back up the statement. Which is not something I did in any fashion.

    What's more, I never even have said her opinion is wrong – simply that there appears to be serious disagreement about whether the actions of those mental health professionals is appropriate or not.

    I don't usually engage in such lengthy back-and-forth's, but the intimation that my disagreements are invalid and are in reality based more on gender than careful thought is total crap.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

  5. #5
    People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    6,385
    You're being dismissive to Elaine. You're also being disrespectful by implying she said something that she did not. It's that simple.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

  6. #6
    Lost in the Fog rugcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    East O' The Sun & West O' The Moon
    Posts
    16,310
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    You're being dismissive to Elaine. You're also being disrespectful by implying she said something that she did not. It's that simple.
    See, now there's a perfect example of a post that exhibits what it means to be dismissive. And disrespectful.
    Urban Fantasy rules:Play Dead My Website

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Custom Search