What do you wish you knew about self publishing?

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Up the thread, a poster linked to a blog talking about how self publishing is essentially motivated by instant gratification. Silence from you.

But you pick me up for suggesting that book stores aren't necessarily fertile grounds for newbie authors because most of the store is dedicated to authors who've been published for decades, or the latest Man Booker winner, or whoever.

To be honest, Old Hack, I don't really think you think they are equally valid processes (and if you do, then you're certainly quite biased with your moderator drop ins). I think you clearly believe trade publishing is superior. I'm sure you'd say differently, but I've also seen you tell people here that we're writers and words and important, and your words tell me what they tell me.

I'm out. Good luck to you all.

Emermouse

Registered
Reaction score
Thing is, self-publish or trade, JK Rowling-level success is just flat-out rare, period. It’s the equivalent of winning the Powerball. Maybe there are valid reasons to self or trade, but the decision shouldn’t be based on JK Rowling’s career.

Me, either kind of publishing sounds like such a headache that I wish I could just treat my stuff like feathers, cast them on the breeze and let come what may. Many copies would wind up in the trash or scattered all over the place, but maybe a few would read it and the story will take root.

No matter whether I go with self or trade, it’d still involve too much marketing and salesmanship. Apparently you can’t just stay up in your garret, write, and let everyone else worry about marketing.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Up the thread, a poster linked to a blog talking about how self publishing is essentially motivated by instant gratification. Silence from you.

But you pick me up for suggesting that book stores aren't necessarily fertile grounds for newbie authors because most of the store is dedicated to authors who've been published for decades, or the latest Man Booker winner, or whoever.

If I wanted to comment on the linked-to blog post I'd have commented on it on the blog post. Not here. Because it wasn't posted here.

I picked you up because you were saying things that are neither logical nor true. And guess what? You've just done it again. It's not helpful.

Also, you might want to re-read my previous post in which I asked everyone to stop with the derail.

To be honest, Old Hack, I don't really think you think they are equally valid processes (and if you do, then you're certainly quite biased with your moderator drop ins). I think you clearly believe trade publishing is superior. I'm sure you'd say differently, but I've also seen you tell people here that we're writers and words and important, and your words tell me what they tell me.

If you disagree with anything I say about publishing, refute it, like I did when I disagreed with you earlier. Explain your thinking. It's far more effective than resorting to insults and slurs. As you said, words count.

I can't stop you from interpreting my words incorrectly, just as there's nothing I can do about the anti-trade-publishing bias that is so inherent in so many of your posts here. However, I can address the lack of respect you've shown me in this post, which is directly against AW's one rule of "respect your fellow writer". If you'd spoken to anyone else in that way I'd have given you a time-out, no hesitation. But as I was the focus of your comments I don't think it would be appropriate for me to do that--it's not my place. Do it again, to anyone, and you'll be taking a break from AW. I hope that's clear. And next time you have a problem with a moderator, take it to PM instead of derailing a thread like this.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
No matter whether I go with self or trade, it’d still involve too much marketing and salesmanship. Apparently you can’t just stay up in your garret, write, and let everyone else worry about marketing.

Yes, you really can stay up in that garret if you have a good publisher behind you.

There are lots of really good writers who can't cope with publicity efforts. And there are writers whose books were published after they'd died, and still did really well--even though there's no way they could help publicise them. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a prime example here. What you need to do is to write a brilliant book, get a great agent, and a good book deal, and work out with your publisher exactly how much or how little you're able to contribute to the publicising of your book.

And don't assume you can't do anything, either. The lovely Joanne Cannon, author of The Trouble with Goats and Sheep, told me she wouldn't be able to do any publicity work for her book at all, she was so worried about it: but she's been absolutely brilliant at publicity events, everyone adores her, and her book has been a huge best seller. She's a wonder, and deserves every moment of her success.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

I'd rate this as a 2 in terms of flounces.

If you have a problem with a post, you can flag it by using the
report-40b.png
button.

If you have a problem with a Moderator, you can contact me or the site owner MacAllister. It's a lot more effective than pissing in the pool because a moderator pointed out that you'd continued a derail after the Moderator asked you not to, and because you're flat out wrong.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Actually, concerning self-publishing and what I wish I knew before I got into it, I'd have to say "nothing that I can think of". Sure, I wish I had graphic arts capabilities and training/experience with graphic arts programs, to facilitate cover creation. But other than that, I entered self-publishing with my eyes open, knowing I had things to learn, and just dug in and started to learn them.

NDG