• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Should I submit an old manuscript to a new competition

dontpanic

and carry a towel
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I've posted here, mostly because I've been working on coding and interactive fiction writing. I write best when I'm motivated by deadlines so I'm looking to start submitting to competitions again. I have some recent short fiction but I haven't written anything novel length in a while. I have two MSS I'm proud of, but they are from at least three years ago. I want to submit something to a novel competition, but looking at these old MSS, I want to edit them and I wonder if that will be pulling a thread that will make the whole thing unravel.

I'm wondering what I should do with these old MSS? I have other ideas in progress which it's easier to go back to and edit, but these novels were completed a couple of years ago and after little success applying to literary agents, I put them on the backburner.

Should I submit one of these old MSS to a competition? How much should I edit?

Thanks!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If it were me--and I'm pretty sure you're not--I would not submit anything to a competition, agent, or publisher unless and until it was the best I could make it. I'd edit heavily if my present skill level deems that necessary, even if it makes the whole thing unravel.

Maryn, never with the easy answer

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn's very right, for a number of reasons, not least of which is that, once your writing is out in the world, it's there, so to speak. In an ideal world, an editor sifts through every line and checks our writerly impulses where necessary. Never wise to assume that's going to happen. You're the best resource to make sure only your best work gets read. And, generally, it's a good idea to make all your work the best it can be.

If I may, is there a reason you're thinking only of competitions? If you have finished novels, why not consider querying or submitting them to agents and publishers? As several people on this site are fond of saying, "publishers run a competition every day." And while it depends, the rewards are usually higher.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
I agree with Maryn and VeryBigBeard. If you're worried that pulling a thread might unravel it, you probably know there are threads there to be pulled.

I also work best with the impetus of a deadline, but I don't enter/submit if the piece isn't finished. Why not use the competition as a reason to have another look at the manuscripts, work on them, and enter them next year? Or, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and find you can get the edits done before the closing date? Don't waste your own time and the judge's time by entering something you know isn't your best work.

dontpanic

and carry a towel
Registered
Reaction score
I'd edit heavily if my present skill level deems that necessary, even if it makes the whole thing unravel.

Whenever I've said that to myself I've felt it too harsh but hearing it from other writers reassures me that it's the right thing to do!

If I may, is there a reason you're thinking only of competitions? If you have finished novels, why not consider querying or submitting them to agents and publishers? As several people on this site are fond of saying, "publishers run a competition every day."

I was thinking of competitions because they have a hard deadline, whereas applying to publishers is a 'softer' deadline. But I think I'll definitely look into doing more of both.

Why not use the competition as a reason to have another look at the manuscripts, work on them, and enter them next year? Or, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised and find you can get the edits done before the closing date?

The deadline is very soon so I'll probably enter it next year for the same competition.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Think this helped me realise that not only do I need to do extensive edits, almost a full rewrite, but I WANT to do it. I want to shape this MS into something better to reflect how I've grown as a writer. Planning to take some time to do that!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent to hear. I look awful in this cheerleader outfit, but since you're inspired, I can put on jeans again, right?

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking of competitions because they have a hard deadline, whereas applying to publishers is a 'softer' deadline. But I think I'll definitely look into doing more of both.

Make sure you read the competition's terms and conditions thoroughly. Some of them can affect first publication rights, which may affect how viable your MS is with an agent or acquisitions editor.

ETA: Watch out for entry fees, too. Make sure you're getting something for it. If you just want someone to read your work and give feedback, check the beta reader sub-forum here on AW, or post a chapter in SYW. Beta readers shouldn't charge money.

Most of the larger literary competitions are only open to already published works.

Last edited: